Medieval Murder Mysteries

I am reading a set of books titled The Medieval Murderers.

The first one is called: The Tainted Relic

A so called piece of Christs cross is stained with his blood. This item becomes cursed by a fanatic called Barzac saying that once you touch this item you have to keep hold of it for the minute you relinquish it you shall die a painful horrible death - thus starts a gory dark story written by several authors names: Bernard Knight, Philip Gooden, Susanna Gregory, and Michael Jecks.

Sword of Shame:

Forged by a Viking blacksmith this sword is absolutely beautiful. Sharp, well crafted and once seen by someone they hanker after the sword and use it too acheive dark and deadly deeds. The first act is brother killing brother - the very sons of the blacksmith that forged the sword. It gets passed down through the ages and even commits a bloodthirsty act in modern times. Anybody that is not normally covetous becomes jealous of the owner of the sword.

House of Shadows:

Review coming once I read this one.

These stories have me hooked. There is a fourth one called The Lost Prophecies and a fifth one coming out next month.

Several authors contribute to these stories using one plot story and weaving that cleverly through the time of it's creation or finding and the effects of that can still be felt now.

Also it has given me two new authors to collect ... can't be bad!

Sounds interesting. I might well give these a go. There's a fair few books on the market following the two-time-line plot currently, and I've enjoyed the ones I've read, like Labyrinth amongst others.

I've not read a book before by multiple authors. Although I have read The Talisman and Black House by Peter Straub and Stephen King...

Hope you're well. :)

I've read the Tainted Relic as it's by authors that I love and have some of their individual books (esp Bernard Knight and the Crowner John series). Really enjoyed it.

Need to catch up on the others though.

Hi Suzanna, yes I think Bernard Knight is very good. Not only is his research and historical knowledge of the period (1190's Exeter) excellent, but he was once a Home Office Pathologist and he uses his knowledge expertly in his books. There are quite a few in the series and I don't think it really matters where you start because he often gives recaps in each book. They do keep you thinking right to the end and you can almost smell the filth in the streets of Exeter and of the great unwashed:smile2::)

If you like medieval mysteries, i like Susanna Gregory'sMatthew Bartholomew series, Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidlema series, Candace Robb's Owen Archer series.. just a few i have enjoyed. and thanks, i will keep an eye out for those books you talked about.. i have enjoyed Bernard Knight's books too.. Cadfael is another good series of course.. :)

According to Fantastic Fiction, the order runs as follows:

Crowner John Series by Bernard Knight:

1. The Sanctuary Seeker (1998)

2. The Poisoned Chalice (1998)

3. Crowner's Quest (1999)

4. The Awful Secret (2000)

5. The Tinner's Corpse (2001)

6. The Grim Reaper (2002)

7. Fear In The Forest (2003)

8. The Witch Hunter (2004)

9. Figure of Hate (2005)

10. The Elixir of Death (2006)

11. The Noble Outlaw (2007)

12. The Manor of Death (2008)

13. Crowner Royal (2009)

The Cadfael books are very good - I have read most of them

Other ones to try are the Matthew Shardlake series by Susannah Gregory Set in the 1100's, and Sister Fidelma by Peter Tremayne which are set in 7C Ireland

The Cadfael books are very good - I have read most of them

aboslutely love the Cadfael books the most and I have read them all at least twice over. It's the series that first got me into reading medieval books.

I was always a bit disappointed with the TV series. I felt that they had to get through a lot of plot in 1 and half hours (should have been on for 2 hours) and I never thought Derek Jacobi was right in the part. He was too aesthetic whereas Cadfael was more of "rugby" type of person with a sunburned skin from too many years in the Holy Land (and he was Welsh).