Ray Bradbury

Weave

Title of book: The Illustrated Man

Name of author: Ray Bradbury

Paperback: 240 pages

Publisher: Harper Voyager; New edition edition (13 Nov 1995)

ISBN-10: 0006479227

ISBN-13: 978-0006479222

Synopsis~

A classic collection of stories -- all told on the skin of a man -- from the author of Fahrenheit 451. If El Greco had painted miniatures in his prime, no bigger than your hand, infinitely detailed, with his sulphurous colour and exquisite human anatomy, perhaps he might have used this man's body for his art! Yet the Illustrated Man has tried to burn the illustrations off. He's tried sandpaper, acid, and a knife. Because, as the sun sets, the pictures glow like charcoals, like scattered gems. They quiver and come to life. Tiny pink hands gesture, tiny mouths flicker as the figures enact their stories -- voices rise, small and muted, predicting the future. Here are sixteen tales: sixteen illustrations! the seventeenth is your own future told on the skin of the Illustrated Man.

This is the second book by Ray Bradbury I have read, the first one being ‘Fahrenheit 451’, which I really enjoyed.

‘The Illustrated Man’ is a collection of stories which are being played out on a un~named man’s tattooed body, he was tattooed by a woman who claimed she was from the future and since then the tattoos have been a curse, every tattoo tells a story except for the tattoo on his right shoulder blade which changes to show the fate of the person who is looking at it.

The stories in ‘The Illustrated Man’ are very much a sign of the times (it was written in 1951) which I found brilliant to read, Ray Bradbury had a very real view of the world of the future and you can tell he enjoys sharing his stories.

All of the stories are gorgeously written, Ray Bradbury’s outlook of the world may seem odd but makes a lot of sense.

Highly recommended.

Rating: 10/10

51vmGIncmFL_BO2204203200_PIsitb-sti.jpg

I really want to read this... Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles" used to be one of my favourite books as a child, and his "Zen in the Art of Writing" is #1 on my list of inspiring books every author should read. Thanks for the review :) it sounds wicked.

I really want to read this... Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles" used to be one of my favourite books as a child, and his "Zen in the Art of Writing" is #1 on my list of inspiring books every author should read. Thanks for the review :) it sounds wicked.

You'll really like it. Have you tried Fahrenheit 451? That's tremendous, as well. :)

Fahrenheit 451 is a great read Bookjumper, I hope you get the chance to read it :)

I have read "Farenheit" already and loved it, although (as this was in translation, and about a decade ago) I think a re-read is now in order :).

Good times :)

Nice review, Gyre. I have this on my TBR pile.

I noticed on another thread that you bought Something Wicked This Way Comes. You may notice a familiar face (or should I say body?) in that story when you get around to reading it :)

Nice review, Gyre. I have this on my TBR pile.

I noticed on another thread that you bought Something Wicked This Way Comes. You may notice a familiar face (or should I say body?) in that story when you get around to reading it :D

I just finished 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' this morning, and I noticed a certain body :readingtwo:

Aha! :readingtwo:

I have The Illustrated Man on my TBR pile. Are they horror stories?

No, they are not a horror stories, they are more space related but with a whole lot of insights, its a great read :D

• 2 weeks later...
I like the sound of this. May have to be added to my wishlist :razz:

Hope you get the chance to read it chrysalis_stage

:friends0:

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I just finished reading "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury. This was the first book of his that I have read. Thoroughly enjoyed it and am wondering where I have  been all this time that I hadn't read any of his books. He is now on my TBR list.