~Your Favourite Films~

Weave

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have only seen the first, i just haven't got around to watching the others, i guess cause everyone was hyping up Jack Sparrow again so i was like 'i'll pass until all that's died down' so i really should watch!

The first and second ones are great, but I agree with Miss about the third one, so your best bet is to avoid it, imo.

Here are a couple more I forgot to add to my list:

Smoke Signals

Run Lola Run

Being John Malkovich

Psycho

Party Girl

Waiting for Guffman

I love films so..

JFK

The Bodyguard

The Green Mile

Cinema Paradiso

Ghost

The Santa Clause (Big kid alert!)

Toy Story

Beaches

Dogma

Weekend at Bernie's

Dogma is great, I love God!

Yay,I love Dogma,and think Ben Affleck and especially Matt Damon are great in this,two actors that I normally don't like. Also Alanis Morrissette as God is great and oh,love Alan Rickman too!! Most people I know who have seen this film hated it so glad to hear a fellow fan!

Another few ~

Dogma

Dark City

Land of the Dead

Grave of the Fireflies

Howl's Moving Castle

Finding Nemo

:D

Yay another Dogma fan:D

I just noticed you liked it too Leah ~ yay! I love Dogma, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are really good in it, they seem to be really enjoying themselves playing the parts :D

It depends what mood I am in but my all time favourite films are

Truly Madly Deeply

Taxi Driver

While you were sleeping

Sense and Sensibility

Blade Runner

• 8 months later...

Man where do I start. Ok lets see my Favourites are:

Blade series

Leathal Weapon series

Bevely Hills Cop series

Beaches

Shrek series

Good Morning Vietnam

Interveiw with a Vampire

Germlins 1 & 2

Moulin Rouge

Cocktail

Top Gun

However my all time favourites are:

Gone with the Wind

Dangerous Minds

Two Brothers

Man from Snowy River 1 & 2

American Werewolf in Paris

And any Hugh Jackman movie like Xman series, Sordfish, Van Helsing, Kate & Loepold.

Oh dear. I have many, many favourites.. and which are my most favourite depends on the mood I am in, but let me give you the list I always list when people ask me about my fav films. I warn you, there's many.

Boondock Saints, Alien 1-3, The Last Mimzy, What Dreams May Come, From Hell, Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Jane Eyre (2006), Perfume: The story of a Murderer, The Langoliers, Hornblower, Master and Commander, Stardust, Ginger Snaps 1-3, Memoirs of a Geisha, Moulin Rouge, Mirror Mask, Interview with the Vampire, Neverending Story, Legend, Slither, The Omen series, Hellraiser series, Mists of Avalon, Dracula, Serenity, The Stand, Dune, Children of Dune, Dogma, The Seventh Sign, Like Minds, The Exorcist, Pitch Black, Hellboy, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Neverwas, Underworld (1&2), Donnie Darko, The Prophecy 1-3, Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem, Dead Poet Society.

And yes, I too, am a Dogma fan. :D

I have quite an eclectic taste in films, but I tend to like things that are a bit quirky and interesting. As I'm learning Spanish I've been watching a lot of Spanish and South American films, and I think they are so much better than Hollywood films!

Anyway, a few of my favourites are:

Amores Perros A fantastic Mexican film, probably my favourite film of all time

The Motorcycle Diaries

Sin City Incredibly violent, but also visually amazing

Donnie Darko I have seen this 3 times and I have no idea what it's all about!

The Shawshank Redemption

The Hole This film gave me the scariest nightmares I've ever had, but it's really clever

Pulp Fiction

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

The Matrix

Dirty Dancing Because I am a girl! :welcome:

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them at the minute.

I thought I posted in this thread last year, but looking back it doesn't look as though I did (was there another favourite films thread at some point?!).

Never mind, my film CV looks a little, well actually a lot, like this:

12:01, A Night to Remember, Akira, Aliens, Amelie, Apollo 13, Back to the Future, Bladerunner, Clash of the Titans, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Cowboy Bebop, Donnie Darko, Enigma, Fargo, Fever Pitch, High Fidelity, Jaws, LA Confidential, Local Hero, M*A*S*H, North by Northwest, Pleasantville, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Rear Window, Sahara, Sideways, Sink the Bismarck!, Sneakers, Spirited Away, Star Trek, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Addams Family, The Dark Crystal, The Day the Earth Caught Fire, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Dish, The Life of Brian, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Matrix, The Original Star Wars Trilogy, The Truman Show, To Catch a Thief, Tron, War of the Worlds (1953), When Worlds Collide, Zulu.

Oh, and another one for Dogma!

(And Spaced).

I too thought I posted in such a thread, but it seems not to have been this one.

This is by no means a complete list, it's just whatever springs to mind thrown into four rough categories:

Indie/arty/philosophical/musical/generally quirky & awesome films:

Lost In Translation, Elizabethtown, Closer, Smoke Signals, Little Miss Sunshine, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Donnie Darko, Dead Poets Society, American Beauty, The Terminal, Dogma, Forrest Gump, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Sweeney Todd, The Truman Show, Ghost World, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Disney/kids/family/christmas films:

Shrek, The Lion King, The Fox & The Hound, Beauty & The Beast, Dragonheart, Groundhog Day, Trading Places, The Land Before Time, Balto, Jurassic Park, The Polar Express, Joshua, The Iron Giant.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror/Thriller:

The Matrix Trilogy, Cube, Primer, K-Pax, Star Trek:Generations, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, The Ring, End Of Days, Stigmata, Premonition, The Game, In Bruges, Knowing, Cloverfield, Primal Fear, Derailed.

Girly films:

Harvey, The Shop Around The Corner, It's A Wonderful Life, Bridget Jones' Diary, You've Got Mail, Serendipity, 10 Things I Hate About You, My Best Friend's Wedding, Here On Earth, Sliding Doors, He's Just Not That Into You, Mean Girls, Love Actually.

I will also watch anything with: Jude Law, Nicolas Cage, Rupert Everett, Colin Firth, Jake Gyllenhall, Heath Ledger, Jim Carey, Tom Hanks, Natalie Portman, Kirsten Dunst, Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Julia Roberts, Thora Birch, Scarlett Johannson or Meg Ryan.

Edited by Nollaig

The Day the Earth Caught Fire

You have a lot of awesome movies there, Raven. This one caught my eye because I never hear anyone talk about it and I love it too! It's very underrated, I think. I rewatched it recently with my ex and he really enjoyed it too. :D

You have a lot of awesome movies there, Raven. This one caught my eye because I never hear anyone talk about it and I love it too! It's very underrated, I think. I rewatched it recently with my ex and he really enjoyed it too. :D

It's a great film, very atmospheric! (I do like a good B-Movie, and some bad ones as well!).

Nolliag, I think you may have Trading Places in the wrong category! (unless you are talking about a different Trading Places to the Eddie "Potty-Mouth" Murphy film!).

Another to add to my list: Ghostbusters. Not sure how I forgot that!

Nollaig*

And, no, Trading Places is a typical Chrismas family movie in my family (as in, a funny, heartwarming movie set at Christmas time) and has been since I was quite young. It's possibly not the best place for it, but, it's the best of the four in my view.

Yeah I wasn't a child to be influenced by what I watched on tv. But even if that were the case, 'family films' to me don't have to imply a PG or U rating - 12 or even 15 is sufficient. But that is just me, I know that's not how Sky rates them, for example, which is perfectly fine. But to me, Trading Places is the kinda movie I've always sat with my family to watch.

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind,

The Matrix Trilogy, K-Pax

Oh now I love these too, Matrix, don't know why I didn't put it in my list, cause I enjoy watching them. And I adore K-Pax, great film, and I love Kevin Spacey.. great actor.

There's just one genre (pretty much) that I don't do.. even though I am a girl. I hate romantic comedies. Gag me with a spoon please. Yuck. Rather watch a good sci-fi or horror anyday. :D

Contempt

Bringing Up Baby

Vertigo

Seven Women

Twin Peaks - Episode 14

The Mother and the 'lady of the night'

The Apartment

Late Spring

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Barton Fink

That list makes me feel like an old fogie, which, as a matter of fact, I might be. Here's my top ten from the 00's compiled from a list of 50 submitted to criterionforum.org's decade review.

What Time Is It There

Mulholland Drive

Woman On The Beach

Before Sunset

Songs From The Second Floor

Lost In Translation

Werkmeister Harmonies

The Man Who Wasn't There

Noriko's Dinner Table

Femme Fatale

Oh now I love these too, Matrix, don't know why I didn't put it in my list, cause I enjoy watching them. And I adore K-Pax, great film, and I love Kevin Spacey.. great actor.

There's just one genre (pretty much) that I don't do.. even though I am a girl. I hate romantic comedies. Gag me with a spoon please. Yuck. Rather watch a good sci-fi or horror anyday. :roll:

K-Pax is so underrated. Have you read the book? I haven't, but I'd like to. And yes, Kevin Spacey is great - he makes American Beauty fantastic.

I would be inclined to say I don't like girly movies, and while most of them don't appeal to me, some do make me laugh and cry and go 'awwww' so I can't really deny liking those! :D:D

Ooh, this could be fun thinking about. Ok, here I go...

The Star Wars Saga - I cannot begin to describe how important these films are to me. I had a copy of the first one, A New Hope, on VHS when I was a kid. I watched it so much that the sound went in the middle. I still continued watching it, able to remember all the soundtrack.

Se7en - An amazing movie, with great performances from Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. So visually impressive. And Kevin Spacey is stunning as well, him sat in the back of the car rocking excitedly is just unbelievably disturbing.

Aliens - Ridley Scott's Alien is a great piece of sci-fi horror, but for full on action its outdone by James Cameron's Aliens. The special effects, the script, and the performances are all fantastic and come together so well.

The Matrix - probably the best sci-fi film ever made. Stunning special effects, a great storyline, and (shock horror!) an actual good performance from Keanu Reeves!! Epic for that alone :D

Fight Club - I'm a big fan of David Fincher's directional talent, even back to Alien3. This is his crowning achievement, adapted from Chuck Palahniuk's wonderful book. Brad Pitt is wonderful, but the performance of Edward Norton's is out of this world. Criminally underrated, and passed over by the Oscars disgracefully.

The Dark Knight - comic book masterpiece. Following on from Batman Begins, this took the genre to a whole new level. Masterful direction from Christopher Nolan, and a performance of his career from the late Heath Ledger.

Love all of those films, particularly Fight Club, it's such a dark conjuration and perfectly captures the essence of Palahniuk's acid-tongue :D This film bought Norton's acting quality to my attention and showed the versatility of Pitt, brilliantly executed scenes from the novel too. I think Palahniuk preferred how the film actually streamlined the plot and made some areas more effective, which is a great compliment for the author to give to the director.