Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton Adaptation)

Rawr

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hate the original story? It's wonderful! If not a little confusing but it all fits with what's going on within it.

Alice is rather boring, but I will disagree so much on the other guys! It will be interesting to see what Burton does, I like certain little details he plays around with in his work.

Guest radjack

I'm going to see it today!

I even bought me a 30€ Hardcover of Alice’s adventures in Wonderland + Through the Looking Glass to celebrate the occasion.

:lol:

Edited by radjack

I'm going to see it on Sunday and can't wait :friends0: I really hope it's well done, I read a really bad review of it and nearly changed my mind. Then I watched Film2010 and thought if it's good enough for Jonathan Ross I'm sure it'll be great :lol:

It'll be interesting because it's almost like a sequel to the original Alice in Wonderland. I'm sure I read it was set 5/10 years since she was last in Wonderland. Plus I've never seen a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp film I haven't liked.

Guest radjack

Stephanie2008 you've got the best avatar I've ever seen!

Sweeney todd is my favorite movie (and believe me I've seen A LOT!)

:lol:

I have certainly read mixed reviews, it's a love it or hate it affair. The idea that a more mature and less innocent Alice returns to Wonderland is a great plot on paper, Wonderland is no longer seen through the innocent eyes of a child; instead, it is a grown up, mature and perhap more dangerous place (I've heard it referred to as a sort of 'Underland').

My opinion of Tim Buton's movie is formed around American McGee's Alice. I know it won't be as violent, but that isn't a bad thing because I'll be able to bring my kids to the show!

People really shouldn't believe anything they read in newspapers - I've read the bad reviews which so many newspapers have given books, games, films and television shows that I like, and whenever they pull one of the typical "this is a BAD film" I shrug and take note of when it will be released on DVD. Remember - the popular consensus amongst newspapers (at the time) was that the three prequels to Star Wars were brilliant, that Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen was a step up in quality blockbuster film-making, and The Dark Knight was a terrible harm to society. I trust the views and opinions of insurance salesmen before those of newspaper critics.

Me and Andy have just been to see this in 3D and although it was ace it wasn't Depp's best film by far. The CGI is fantastic, Bonham - Carter was great and Hathaway was stunning. They are my favourite actors though so whatever they're in I will love. And it's Tim Burton so I'll love it even more. Johnny Depp "Futterwacking" (I believe that's the term anyway) was hilarious, I recall some people criticizing it but it made us laugh. I wouldn't trust the opinions of reviewers and reserve judgement till you've seen it for yourself.

Sweeney todd is my favorite movie (and believe me I've seen A LOT!)

:D

See, I didn't like that one very much. I thought the looks were amazing, seriously, gorgeous film to watch. Couldn't really get into the story though, mainly because I guess I am not too fond of musicals. Maybe I'll try re-watching it though, only seen it at the cinema so far, and just once. Thinking back I can't possibly hate it as much now as I did then, maybe because I was seriously disappointed with it. Too much singing in my opinion, see I like Moulin Rouge a lot, but this was too much.

I really liked it .. but the tantalising glimpse they give you of a young Alice and her adventures in Wonderland make me wish we had seen that first and then this one as a sequel.

Visually it was gorgeous .. absolutely stunning.

My opinion of Tim Buton's movie is formed around American McGee's Alice. I know it won't be as violent, but that isn't a bad thing because I'll be able to bring my kids to the show!

There's really no comparison between the two...

I saw this film today and was so very disappointed. The computer animation (both characters and the environment) far outshone the performances of the actors. The plot seemed to have been inspired by Frank Beddor's writings and pretty much falls flat from the start. As for the actors... Johnny Depp's interpretation of the Hatter is a very up-and-down performance - sometimes he gets it right, mostly he gets it wrong and reverts to a Willy Wonka/Jack Sparrow inspired performance. I couldn't take Helena Bonham-Carter's huge headed Red Queen seriously... and Anne Hathaway's character was simply disappointing. The actress playing Alice gave a more or less consistent performance and was okay, although unconvincing.

My favourite characters were all computer animated and - I thought - the only thing about the film that really reminded me of Carroll's tale. They are the March Hare, the Catepillar and the Cheshire Cat (which is really a brilliantly done character!).

There was a bit of humour here and there, but those moments were few and far in between.

I'm sad about this film. It has an amazing cast, it's directed by Tim Burton, and he had a rather interesting story idea. Unfortunately it just isn't very well executed. *shrugs*

I've always loved Tim Burton. When I was a little girl we used to watch Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare all of the time. I've grown up loving Johnny Depp, Tim Burton and Danny Elfman. If you ever asked a Tim Burton fan what they think he should try his hand at, they would almost always say 'Alice.' The weirdness of Alice is perfect for him.

So, I went to the cinema with high hopes last night and was extremely dissapointed. Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Matt Lucas were the high lights and the scenery (I saw this in 2D) was very Burton-esque but I didn't feel like it was as good as it could have been. There was a Tim Burton influence but it all seemed too half hearted.

The music was really good, except Avril at the end but all in all I did not enjoy this film. It was too fast paced and there wasn't enough suspense.

I love Johnny Depp and he is a fantastic actor but his Mad Hatter reminded me of Willy Wonka a LOT! That's a bit of a let down, to be honest.

I loved it, seem to be the exception though.

Ok, some of the characters are really good and the others are really annoying. I loved the Mad Hatter (Ok I love any part Johnny Depp plays). I felt that the back story to the Hatter was interesting, as I'd never read or seen that before. I love that his madness comes and goes to the extreme, and he has some great quotable moments. I also loved the Red Queen. The little character quirks and style of speaking makes her stand out amongst the rest. The Cheshire Cat, Mad Hare and Tweedledum/Tweedledee are about the only other characters I could stomach.

I really didn't like Anne Hathaway/White Queen. Throughout the story, I felt that she was

being every bit as mean as her sister, and didn't know why she had to be queen, apart from the fact that she didn't kill people (OK a big fact I know but she was really harsh and spoiled at times, so as a character I just didn't like her).

At the beginning, I was bored and really dreading the rest of the movie, but once Alice gets to Wonderland it picks up. Also, I agree that the action is really quick, the first hour of the movie is pretty slow in action, then it's all piled on in the last 15 mins.

I saw it in 3D (the first I'd ever seen) and it wasn't really worth it. The adverts before the actual movie had better 3D graphics. It felt like a 2D movie which had been forced into 3D at times, as opposed to a 3D made movie.

But I did enjoy the movie, if not for Johnny and Helena's performances alone. I just wish they'd cast someone else as Alice because I didn't warm to her and just found her annoying most of the time :lol:

The Mad March Hare was one of my favourites .. I could've watched him forever. Helena was fantastic as was Johnny (though I wasn't quite sure why the Scottish accent dipped in and out .. and you did get the feeling that the screenplay was written around the fact that they wanted to use Johnny as much as possible .. which is no bad thing). It was a bit 'spot the famous voice' too but I didn't mind that as Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman are my all time fave voices anyway .. Barbara Windsor was a bit of an odd choice for the Doormouse ... and the character of the Doormouse wasn't what we've come to expect .. instead of being sleepy she was feisty .. but I can think outside of the box if the part requires it! Loved Matt Lucas as Tweedle Dum/Dee .. cute as anything.

I didn't like Anne Hathaway much either .. I don't know why. And I was totally distracted by the girl who played Alice looking so much like a young Gwyneth Paltrow .... I thought she did ok though.

I'm going to see it again next week as my Mum would really like to go ... she's yet to see a 3D film so can't wait for her reaction.

Yeah it did turn into the Mad Hatter show at times which, like you say, isn't such a bad thing. And I agree about the Scottish accent he kept slipping into. I struggled to understand what he was saying half the time because it kept changing.