Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton Adaptation)

Rawr

I've never read the book, nor have I ever seen any of the other film adaptations, but if Messrs Burton and Depp are involved, then I'll be at the cinema to watch the new one!

There's a brief interview and some clips from the film on the IMDb 2009 Comic Con page: http://www.imdb.com/features/comic_con/2009/videos#Day_3_Videos

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Anyone else heard the title track "Alice (Underground)" by Avril Lavigne? It's kinda, not good. I love Avril, but Avril and Tim Burton? The soundtrack is being released in March, alongside Alice (Underground) as Avril's new single.

Honestly, I am not very interested to see this. I love Johnny Depp, I love Tim Burton.. but honestly, it's sort of overkill that these guys keep working together. Plus, Tim Burton seems to keep using his wife in all his films.. she's good, but again, enough is enough. I didn't like Sweeney Todd to be honest. It looked great, but that's about it.

And I loved the book, and the cartoons of Alice in Wonderland, but I am worried what this film's gonna be like. I don't really like the pictures I've seen so far..

I do love the rest of the cast, Stephen Fry, Alan Rickman, Anne Hathaway, Crispin Glover.. so might be alright after all. We'll see.

Edit: didn't know about Avril doing the song for this, I don't like her music much.. she's gorgeous, absolutely, but her music, I don't like.

I also love Johnny Depp when he works with Tim Burton so I'm with you there Noll....there can't be too much of a good thing. Helena Bonham Carter is amazing in his movies and I think she's just perfect for the roles she plays so again....never too much of a good thing for me. :)

I haven't heard the new song but I'm not usually a fan of hers. I'll give it a listen though :lol:

I love Helena in these movies too. Personally I would rather have seen American McGee's Alice become a movie - it was supposed to, with Sarah Michelle Gellar as Alice but it never got far.

Tim Burton could have taken American McGee's Alice and made it the best thing he's ever done, period.

I normally love Avril, but this song is like pop meets tribal chanting meets Braveheart.

Tim Burton could have taken American McGee's Alice and made it the best thing he's ever done, period.

There has been talk of an adaptation of the game for a while, but given that Tim Burton has a habit of - how can I say this politely, ah... - creatively interpreting certain properties in the past, I doubt the holders of the game's rights would want him stamping his mark on the look and feel of the world which they imbued with such detail.

I don't have a problem with Burton's work, it's just the fact that he very rarely approaches material with serious intentions regarding mood. If you doubt this, just take a look at Batman Returns... Killer penguins? With rockets? Or the ending of Planet Of The Apes - a textbook example of how to kill a potential franchise. When he is working on his own property he seems much better at refining his ideas.

I can understand that, and you're almost certainly right, but I don't imagine anyone else could have done a better job.

I'll never want to see the Cheshire Cat any other way after playing that game. That cat was just too awesome for words.

Del Toro might. That said, Pan's Labyrinth is classed as Fantasy and it was far two rooted in reality for my liking, I'd be afraid the pure fantastical nature of Alice would be lost with him. I don't know who the other guy is.

^You've just mentioned my one complaint about Pan's Labyrinth.. I expected more fantasy, not so much the

story about the rebels, and the sadistic stepfather. Also, I can live my life happily if I never see anyonhe's face bashed in with a bottle. Yuck!

Not my idea of something that belongs in a fantasy film, even dark fantasy.

Del Toro might. That said, Pan's Labyrinth is classed as Fantasy and it was far two rooted in reality for my liking, I'd be afraid the pure fantastical nature of Alice would be lost with him. I don't know who the other guy is.

^You've just mentioned my one complaint about Pan's Labyrinth.. I expected more fantasy, not so much the

story about the rebels, and the sadistic stepfather. Also, I can live my life happily if I never see anyonhe's face bashed in with a bottle. Yuck!

Not my idea of something that belongs in a fantasy film, even dark fantasy.

I totally agree. Although I loved the movie, it wasn't completely fantasy. However, the parts which were complete fantasy were amazing so if Del Toro gave in to his fantastical side, his spin on Alice in Wonderland could be great. Ooooh I still shiver when I think of that child eating monster with eyes in its hands........:D

Terry Gilliam is one of the Monty Python guys (he did all the animation on the show) and his spectacuar adaptation of Don Quixote - or, rather, the aborted, abysmal failure to get the film made - is something of a legend amongst film aficionados. Despite the mixed reviews Baron Munchausen wasn't the complete mess people assume it to be. YMMV on that one.

I'm actually not looking forward to this film. While Tim Burton has had some decent films in the past, his adaptation-frenzy hasn't been anything beyond abysmal. After the awful renditions of Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Sweeney Todd (at least in my eyes), I don't trust him with this story.

From what I can see from the trailers, the visuals are lovely (as usual), but the characters seem flawed - especially when compared to Carroll's creation. All the characters seem too sensible - the Hatter is talking ethics, the Queen of Hearts seems rather even-tempered (when she's supposed to be a manifest of rage), and everyone cares far too much that Alice is suddenly back in Wonderland, oh yay! No one gave her a second glance lest she requested it in the book, and she never really did anything in their world of any importance. Why is she suddenly Miss Popularity?

The characters were all supposed to be illogical and insane, which this all contradicts. I'm not entirely against changing charecters in an adaptation, but when done the end product should be just as if not more interesting than the original. This seems bound to end in much more boring characters than anything.

Anyway, besides all that, this is actually a story that has been done before. A video game called American McGee's Alice came out about ten years ago and had almost exactly the same plot: ten years after her first visit, Alice returns to Wonderland. The Queen of Hearts has taken over, and Wonderland's citizens call upon Alice's assistance to become their "champion" and conquer the tyrant. (It's actually a great game; artistic, well-written and beautifully designed - if a bit dark and violent - and I highly recommend it to anyone that's interested. :friends0:)

The creators of Alice were actually trying to make a film out of it, so Burton had some opportunity to hear about its premise. To be honest, I wouldn't doubt that he'd steal it, and I have a strong suspicion he did.

Edited by Ilona

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear the news already, that it's probably not going to be in a lot of cinemas due to problem with cinemas and Disney, that they want to release it on dvd in June already.. and the cinemas are not happy with that since there's usually supposed to be 4 months between DVD and cinema release..

This is the UK one, but it goes for Holland too, and guess international..

Weird.

:roll: No, I've been waiting so long for this, and I wanted to see it in 3D :) I hope Disney just releases the DVD a month later. Surely it's in their best interests too, to let the showing stretch out at cinemas and make more money before releasing the DVD. Edited by Stephanie2008

I actually wouldn't care who did American McGee's Alice, if it got made. I'd just love to see it done out in movie form.

I want to play it again now. Might have to get it off my bro and install it.

I'm somewhat glad it isn't being made into a film, seeing as I don't think it would have switched over as well (and they had Sarah Michelle Gellar for the role of Alice - oi). Still, it would have been cool.

I don't agree with them wanting to use SMG either, but I think it would have made for an incredible movie.

I mostly just want to see the Cheshire Cat done in high quality graphics. :D It's SUCH a cool cat!!

ETA: Apparently Scott Faye refuses to let it go. SMG is gone, he has no studio and the script needs revising, but he says it WILL get made. Apparently another game is also in the works, but whether it's a sequel or a remake is unsure. Intriguing!

Edited by Nollaig

^Well, maybe there is hope! It's possible for it to turn out good, but video games just don't often seem to translate to film well. However, there is a lot of substance to this game, so it could be an exception.

And yes, there's a sequel coming out! EA went to American and offered to let him and his team make another one, since he had ideas for a sequel. It's coming out sometime next year, I think.