Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton Adaptation)

Rawr

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^You might have been better off not seeing them - neither were that good.

McGee's games haven't been too good, but he might be getting back into the grove with a sequel to Alice. I'm not quite sure how much to hope for it, but I guess there's still some possibility.

^I was kind of irked about Daybreakers - it had a good premise, and I think it could have worked well if they had focused more on drama than horror (and if they got some good writers). Alas, it didn't turn out as good as I was hoping.

...the Queen of Hearts seems rather even-tempered (when she's supposed to be a manifest of rage)...

Ah, but it's NOT the Queen of Hearts - it's the Red Queen. A lot of the characters have been lifted from Through the Looking Glass and this is an entirely new story of what happens when Alice, now 19-y-o, returns to Wonderland - not a direct adaptation of wither of the books by Carroll.

I'm very excited about it. The casting and effects seem to me to be superb and I find Burton a very able director (you only have to look at such wonderous films as Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands to know this film is potentially in the safest possible of hands).

There's the potential for this to be THE film event of the year and I, for one, can hardly wait to see it! *squeeeeee of excitement!*

^I actually recently heard that they're combining the Queen of Hearts and Red Queen into one character. If so, I really don't see why.

I should probably stop ranting about it until I actually see it.

I don't think it's in 3-D, Noll. I hope it isn't, anyway.

The Odeon Cinema chain confirm they won't be showing the film. That's a bummer - it's our closest cinema!

ETA: I also hope it's not a let-down. I love the books and I'm not sure about a film that messes with them - but I'll definitely try it.

Edited by Janet

Odeon is the only cinema I go to :lol: I'm not even sure where the closest one would be now.

I heard it was going to be in 3D. That's why they were making such a big deal out of Odeon not showing it, because not many other cinemas have the IMAX 3D screens. I could be wrong though :lol:

From Wiki:

The film will premiere in London at the Odeon Leicester Square on February 25, 2010. It will be release in the U.S and UK on March 5, 2010 through Walt Disney Pictures in Disney Digital 3-D and IMAX 3-D, as well as in regular theaters.[2]

(The premier is still taking place in the Odeon, despite the boycott! :lol: ).

Does this suggest there will be a choice of 3-D or non 3-D?

If it's not in 2-D I'm not going to see it. I hated 3-D before Avatar and now I despise it. You need a fantastic cinema, excellent glasses and a projector dude who knows that the brightness must be turned UP on a 3-D film to compensate for said glasses, none of which seem too common round here going by other people's reports. And I'm pretty sure 3-D would still give me a headache ANYWAY. I hate 3-D. If I want to see 3-D, I'll look anywhere but at a flat screen.

I'm gonna go see it on the gigantic IMAX! It's Alice in Wonderland + Tim Burton so that will equal greatness either way!

Odeon is the only cinema I go to :lol: I'm not even sure where the closest one would be now.

Same here for the big releases. Wonder if the Tyneside Cinema might show it now instead? Hmmm.....I'm off to check. Fingers crossed!!

I have been working on Alice in Wonderland related material for a while now so I'm super hyped for the movie!

I'm interested in seeing how the movie turns out, it's surprising to see that it isn't being marketing more as a sequel to the Alice in Wonderland fairy tale...I thought it was a remake like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory until recently. Great concept, can't wait...

I finally put my finger on what exactly I don't like about this film: Burton is making it too much like some typical fantasy story. What was great about Carroll's book was that it had this surreal and almost dream-like atmosphere, coupled with elements of insanity and nonsense in the story line. Burton has pretty much just scooped that out of his adaptation and dumbed down the story so he can sell it to the mainstream audience. His film looks more like Narnia with Wonderland aspects pasted over it. (Nothing against Narnia - it's just not Wonderland.)

Did anyone see the Tim Burton and Johnny Depp interview on Jonathan Ross last night? I was surprised at how Mr Depp sounds in real life. For some reason I was expecting Jack Sparrow but got a grown up man instead :friends0::friends0: