I think I've just been called a quitter?

Can I just say I wish I'd givn up Name of The rose at page 40 instead of 100 plus! Just did not enjoy this book- while it is fascinting to think that these monks spent their time passionately discussing things such as whether jesus ever laughed reading this discussion over several pages is another matter!

Oh and I think your reply was great!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to persevere with books I didn't really enjoy as I used to think that the author had put so much time into writing it so I really should, but that all changed when I read The Memory Keepers Daughter. It was dreadful and I was just holding on, waiting for the grand finale which didn't happen.....a whole week wasted!

I was just putting out the rubbish (in my garage) and noticed, yet again, that box of books I've been meaning to lug to the used bookshop, and on top is The Memory Keeper's Daughter, one of the worst books I've ever struggled to finish. So I came inside to try and find the thread on 'Most over-hyped books' so I could add TMKD to the list, but got sidetracked by this thread and found your comment.

After all the rave reviews this book got, I was eager to read it, and I actually did finish it, but only because I wanted to see if somehow the book redeemed itself. Sady, it didn't.

:)

I have The Memory Keeper's Daughter on my TBR pile.... should I not have bothered?? :lol:

Roxi, don't take my word for it! Lots of people have raved about this book, and my opinion is probably worthless, but it's how I felt about this particular book. And when I feel this way about a book that's been a bestseller, I stop and remind myself that it's a jolly good thing we have different tastes and different opinions. If we all loved the same books, the world would be a dull place.

:)

I have The Memory Keeper's Daughter on my TBR pile.... should I not have bothered?? :006:

:lol:

I had it on the lower end of my wishlist for years, because I wasn't that sure about it, then saw it in poundland the other day and bought it cause, well, it was only a pound. I guess it won't matter if I don't like it when it cost so little though

Your reply was great Bookjumper, yes I do think it is sometimes necessary to 'put some people in their place', like in the movie Uncle Buck when he confronts the headmistress, love that bit.

However with the benefit of hindsight do you think you would reply in the same way, differently, or not at all?

I once got into an argument on a forum, since then I don't waste my time replying, but admit it is sometimes difficult not to take a remark personaly.

with the benefit of hindsight do you think you would reply in the same way, differently, or not at all?

Ah you see, whenever a forum gets me this agitated I draft my reply in the heat of anger, cool off a bit then edit, cool off completely then edit again - so you could say that what I end up posting has already benefitted from hindsight!

In any case, I wouldn't change a line about my reply; I thought I did a pretty good job of responding to a personal attack without degenerating into one myself. I'm not excessively happy about having had to put my degree and a half in there (I'm afraid it might make me sound pretentious...?) but on the other hand it was the quickest and most effective way to expose the absurdity of the charges laid at my door, so I don't think I could have done it any other way.

Also: whoever can guess (no googleing!) the clever quote in the past paragraph gets a cookie :)!

I thought it was a good reply. And doing a draft when you are peeved and then re-doing it is always a good idea. That way you cool off, get your frustration out and then can get a great arguement down. Good one And is it Jasper Fforde?

Indeed Lucy, have a cookie.

"the charges laid at my door" can be found within Darcy's letter to Lizzie explaining "all my deadlings with Mr. Wickham".

I'll shut up now.

LOL ok, I'll open my big mouth again, this time (believe it or not) on-topic. I've had a reply from the Lady; and though this post is more ladylike on the surface, I get the distinct feeling there's a subtext going on... but by this point this may just be me being paranoid so, opinions?

"BookJumper:

I have great respect for anyone who can not only persevere through the various works of Shakespeare, but even attempt to go on and complete an MA in Shakespearean Studies.

I also have great respect for anyone who has the ability to write their own work of fiction, and I do strongly agree that it is wise for any author to make every effort to engage their readers within the first 40 pages of their book - because, like yourself, not everyone will persevere through to the end.

I do, however, feel that your first post was misleading; this is a thread on books that are not worth the hype surrounding them, and you have contributed the names of four books. Yet the fact that you have not read any of these books in their entirety - you've not even read one fifth of them - means that you simply do not possess adequate knowledge to pass judgement on whether those books are worth the hype surrounding them or not.

It is literally impossible for the first 40 pages to be an accurate representation of any book as a whole. As such, it is not wise (or helpful) for you to create a list dismissing entire books based on whether they have good or bad introductions - regardless of whether you have literary qualifications or an MA.

It would have been fairer and more accurate for you to comment on how, based on the first 40 pages, these books do not SEEM like they are worth the hype.

I am not meaning to offend you, you obviously have great literary knowledge, but why do you not put your knowledge to better use by contributing the names of the books you have endeavoured to read all the way through which you do not feel are worth the hype."

Ideas/interpretations, anyone?

hmm I can see her point. I guess it depends on how important it is for you to be able to get into the book quickly, if it's important then that would for you make a book overated. I guess it depends on why after a short time you dismiss it, if it's just because you find it is slow starting then it's probably best to persever but if you don't like the writing style, or hate a character- something that probably won't change further into the book you won't want to keep reading it and not enjoying it

Personally I have abandoned many books at about the 40 page mark. If a book cannot hold your attention by page 40 then I wonder if it is worth persevering. She may have a point that you had not finished them so technically you could not give a critique. However, I would argue that the books could not keep your attention beyond 40 pages so did not live up to the hype that surrounded them.