I think I've just been called a quitter?

So, I'm on the Amazon forums. There's a thread much like our own "Most Overrated?" My original post read:

"Eco's "The Name of the Rose" (abandoned at page 40), Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" (abandoned way before page 40, the last three HP books (especially "Deathly Hallows", the only one I couldn't finish), "Twilight" (gave up 100 pages into the first one, but they were 100 pages of torture)."

To which this person replied:

"BookJumper: I wouldn't boast about giving up on so many books around the 40page mark, surely that means you only have the experience to comment on how captivating the start of the book is, not the book itself!

It often takes a while to get into the world the author is creating, just as it does with some films.

I felt this way about We Need to Talk About Kevin, Pay it Forward, and The Time Traveler's Wife, but am damn glad I persevered with them.

You're writing off a lot of good books by giving up so soon - perhaps you should stick to lighter fiction like Mike Gayle, etc, and cease giving books you havn't actually taken the time to read poor ratings and reviews.

Your name is incredibly apt too - "BookJumper" "

Which I thought was quite snotty and uncalled for, especially as I've never spoken to this person and their judgment was based on all of FOUR books I haven't finished. So I replied:

"My dear lady... although your post was far from ladylike, what's with the personal attack?

I've always been a great reader, even as a child reading books considered too "mature" for me - I read Hugo's "Les Miserabl

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you shouldn't get uppity over internet people. It's pointless. I have a saying which is a bit offensive, so I won't say it.

In other worse, ignore people like that. It's obviously some snob.

I think if a person makes a fair attempt past a point at which they think 'oh dear GOD', then that's enough. I think a little effort should be made, but books are supposed to be a pleasure not a trial.

Also, you have a degree in English and Philosophy? Me too :)

Well, you shouldn't get uppity over internet people. It's pointless.

I know, I know. I don't know what got into me, I usually don't get this worked up but this really upset me due to its unbased untruthfulness... urgh!

I think a little effort should be made, but books are supposed to be a pleasure not a trial.

My point exactly.

Also, you have a degree in English and Philosophy? Me too :)

Cool :motz:. Got mine at Liverpool Uni, three awesome years on the whole, although the departments didn't communite much - culminating in the scandalous timetable crash of year 3 which very nearly meant I couldn't do Shakespeare. But I put my bardolater foot down and won it, 'cos I rock.

BookJumper

Loved your response. Let's hope that idiot learns a thing or two about making assumptions. And I know we're supposed to ignore the negatives in places such as Amazon, but you wouldn't be human if you didn't react and want to hit back.

My first novel will be out in early June and already I'm dreading the review process, not that I expect to garner many. But, so I'm told by other authors, even a negative review can create buzz, and negative publicity is better than no publicity at all.

Loved your response.

Thank you :motz:.

My first novel will be out in early June and already I'm dreading the review process, not that I expect to garner many. But, so I'm told by other authors, even a negative review can create buzz, and negative publicity is better than no publicity at all.

Definitely negative reviews are still part of the process; I've personally bought a few books more on the weakness of the negative reviews than on the strength of the positive, if that makes sense? i.e. if the negative reviews read like they were written by ignorant people without a clue, which is usually transparent, it made me want to buy the book in question.

Besides, I'm sure your book's lovely :motz:.

For my part, I don't give myself enough importance to want to bring down something I haven't fully experienced so (with a few notable exceptions) I will not review a book without having finished it; and when this is so I always state it. Once, even, (re: Ray Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing") it was to say that I didn't need to finish the book to be able to rave about how awesome it was!!

Of course, I'm going to ask you why you're taking part in forums like that, when there are much better ones on which to spend all your time!? :)

... very good question, and one I asked myself. *please to forgive?*

Edited by BookJumper

1, am I getting too worked up about this, or was this person really out of place?

Your reaction to this person is completely understandable. The post they've made comes across as glib and presumptious, as well as being inaccurate, while your response seems to be considered and much politer than I would have been in the same situation.

2, what are your opinions about the reader's rights/author's duty issue? Are we really quitters for abandoning the books that don't hold our interest, or is that the author letting US down?

Thankfully, the only responsibility any of us have as readers, is to read what we want. There's no requirement to finish every book, let alone to review them or provide feedback to anyone we don't want to. And, I'm going to fall back on the good old saying my mum always produced, "Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all liked the same thing?" Thank goodness we all have different tastes and aren't just sheep following each other saying how wonderful one thing is to the exclusion of all others. With regards to finishing every book you start reading, some people feel they have to, but I'm with you, life is just too short to plod through a book you're not enjoying, when you could be reading something you might actually like. For those of us who have hectic lives of work and/or study and/or family etc., then reading time is precious and an indulgence, so for goodness sake, you have the right to read whatever you like, and give up on whatever you want!

I'm just going to post this little guy :) because chesil said everything I wanted to.

If you're a quitter, Bookjumper, then I must be one, too. I have quite a few impulsive book sale buys that I probably wouldn't have bought if it wasn't for a sudden "got to have books, now!!" that fluttered through my mind. Some of them I've started and liked and then got bored with and gave up on. Some I discarded after the first few pages. I don't feel guilty about them, though. They're just not my taste. Period.

I'll take them over to the second hand bookstore once I have the time, and then they'll bring someone else a bit of reading pleasure. :lol:

Very nice reply Giulia! While I agree with those who say we shouldn't pay too much attention to such comments (and keep to nice places such as this one where this type of comments doesn't exist *laughs*), I think your answer was perfect. And I completely understand you wanting to quiet that dumb poster :)

(besides, I'm a big fan of Daniel pennac, so I love that you used his quote. Did you read his book or just see the poster which was made of it?)

(besides, I'm a big fan of Daniel pennac, so I love that you used his quote. Did you read his book or just see the poster which was made of it?)

Not whole as such yet *meep*, although I fully intend to. I'm not 100% sure where I've found the quote as I encountered it long ago but it stuck, because at the time I was still under the innocent impression that I must finish EVERYTHING, EVER. That's why I read all of the "Thomas Covenants" - a series which even my mum (who re-reads her battered "Lord of the Rings" once a year and probably owns every fantasy and sci-fi book known to man) defined as "horrible" - I was eleven or twelve and thought, surely it must get better, I must not give up, I must (in the words of Pratchett's inimitable Otto Chriek) "be stronk!" So Pennac's quote, in whatever shape I encountered it, opened my eyes to the right not to finish. Thank, you Daniel.

I must say, the friendliness and common sense of you people is a decided relief - being reassured that I'm neither a mad woman getting angry over nothing or a depraved reader who should be ashamed of herself has de-grumped (neologism, anyone?) me considerably :). I can go back to writing my essay on The Merchant of Venice. sarcasm_on: Light, read that one /sarcasm.

ETA: the dumb poster seems to have fallen silent. Could it be that I am victorious? *bwhahahaha*!

I would just ignore this person, I know it is easier said than done, they made their point, you know yourself what capacity you have as a reader, so put it under the heading of 'annoying person on amazon' and forget about it :)

What a self-righteous witch!! I'd have done exactly the same BookJumper! I thought your reply was brilliant and I doubt she'll be responding :)

I used to persevere with books I didn't really enjoy as I used to think that the author had put so much time into writing it so I really should, but that all changed when I read The Memory Keepers Daughter. It was dreadful and I was just holding on, waiting for the grand finale which didn't happen.....a whole week wasted! Now I'll put a book down if I'm not enjoying it and not feel bad about it.

I don't think the author had let me down as such, I just think it wasn't to my taste. I like books that keep you on the edge of your seat and books that get audible responses out of me. I've spoken to someone who really enjoyed that book so each to their own I suppose.

Well done you for dealing with Miss Nasty!

I generally find it best not to get drawn into lengthy replies to posts like the one "Lady" made (and even if they've made it personal it's infinitely preferable not to return the favour yourself).

If the poster is genuine then they have expressed their opinion badly and don't really warrant such a lengthy reply; if they aren't genuine you've risen to the call and posted a reply any troll would be proud to elicit - it's no win either way really.

I like your reply. It was very well done, but don't let their original post bother you too much. Remember it's just some anonymous person on the internet with probably nothing better to do than try to rile up other people. Just keep hanging around here, where we know and respect your opinions. :lol::)

I generally find it best not to get drawn into lengthy replies to posts like the one "Lady" made (and even if they've made it personal it's infinitely preferable not to return the favour yourself).

If the poster is genuine then they have expressed their opinion badly and don't really warrant such a lengthy reply; if they aren't genuine you've risen to the call and posted a reply any troll would be proud to elicit - it's no win either way really.

What he said, basically.

So, I'm on the Amazon forums. There's a thread much like our own "Most Overrated?" My original post read:

"Eco's "The Name of the Rose" (abandoned at page 40), Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" (abandoned way before page 40, the last three HP books (especially "Deathly Hallows", the only one I couldn't finish), "Twilight" (gave up 100 pages into the first one, but they were 100 pages of torture)."

A quitter? No. Maybe a glutton for punishment for using the Amazon forums and reading certain books against your better judgment (I thought you said you wouldn't touch Twilight with a barge pole, or maybe you're just too curious to ignore any book completely).

I actually admire your response, BookJumper. I probably would have done the same, especially as the poster seemed to get a bit personal. I am of the opinion that it's never worth one's time to continue on with a book they're not enjoying. Reading should be enjoyable, and if you're struggling with a book, put it aside and choose something else! You can always come back to it...or not. I have abandoned dozens of books (especially lately...my reading mojo is non-existent) and I don't ever feel guilty about it. For someone else to get worked up over your reading habits...well, I would say that person needs a life!

As for responding to idiots online, well, sometimes it can be a waste of time. So many people are just out there to cause trouble and they will keep coming back at you if you give them any reason. I feel kind of sorry for people who just like to be rude and argumentative on forums like these...it shows that they really have nothing else in their lives. Or they're just jerks...either way, you're definitely better than them! :)

reading certain books against your better judgment (I thought you said you wouldn't touch Twilight with a barge pole, or maybe you're just too curious to ignore any book completely).

I had no other choice: while I was at home having my poorly jaw seen to I had to stay up an extra hour or so in bed while the hot rice pack worked its soothing effects on my face; since I went to bed at 12ish, ridden with painkillers, attempting anything more intellectual would have been impossible. *sniffle* so as you see, I had my reasons.

In general, I do tend to be a good BookJumper and ignore trolls. It was the personal attack that made something in me click - if she'd just said that those books I abandoned deserved more of an effort, that I was losing out by abandoning them and maybe should think of trying again at some point, I would have been all "ok then".

But for her to 1. tell me I should stick to lighter reading (which both denies my intellectual capabilities and looks down on people who read light books - which I myself do, and with no sense of shame whatsoever. Much as I love bug lengthy tomes you just need to take the plug off your brain sometimes; that doesn't mean the brain is not there) 2. turn my own username against me without even knowing where it's from or what it means 3. insinuating I give books I haven't finished negative reviews when a simple look at my reviewing history shows that I do nothing og the sort... well, it was too much. *rawr* I like to think I didn't quite sink to her level, either.

You're all quite right, anyway. Why waste time on a troll-ridden place like that when I've got you guys :)?

Thorough enjoyed your reply Bookjumper - it's nice to get the last word:D Unfortunately Forums can do this to us, I have been on some where I have been livid at someone's comments and almost (I say, almost) let it spoil my day and then I think -- Hang on, I don't know these people, they haven't come into my life by invitation, why should I get hung up about them.

Just as an aside though, please forgive my complete ignorance, but I didnt know that Amazon had forums:blush: Not that I'm intending to defect, I am loving this one :)