Book Depository has free shipping, anywhere in the world!

Maggie Dana

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

D'oh! :D Unfair! :giggle2:

Thanks for the info, Michelle :)

Edit: No, wait, can I order from there, too? What's the difference... I don't get these differences between .com and .co.uk :( Too computery!

Edit2: They do say free worldwide delivery on there, too, so I see no reason why I couldn't order from there...

I don't think there is a difference. I think they just set up a different site for US customers (although I don't know why because one can easily change the currency on the UK site). At any rate, books ships from the same place. There are occasionally differences (usually very small) in the prices, so it can be worth checking both sites before placing an order (although I usually forget). Also, if you add books to a wish list on one site, it will automatically update on the other site. Likewise, you can view current/past purchases on both sites. I'm not sure if you can use the same login. Originally I signed up to both sites separately, but I think they have integrated them better now.

I realised something recently. Since Amazon bought out the Book Depository*, the BD has not had a single 10% off offer. I used to get semi-regular emails offering a code for 10% off but I haven't had one in a very long time. Also, occasionally I noticed that many books on my wish list had dropped by several dollars at the same time. I never worked out why this happened, but I liked it when it did! It would last for several hours before reverting back, and I usually bought up big time! *sigh* Those were the good old days. :(

*I'm not 100% sure of the timing, so it could just be paranoia that Amazon is involved.

• 4 weeks later...

I had never used BD before seeing this thread - free shipping!! I spent ages browsing the website, and ending up buying some Rise Of The Guardians books - I saved a total of about 11 euro compared to if I had bought them on Amazon :)

Yep it was play.com! Play only deliver certain things to Ireland - I think I got mixed up the same way you did about BD, and thought they didn't ship here because of the free shipping. I'm delighted now, it's so much nicer a website than Amazon. And if it works out cheaper, all the better for me! :D

Well, with the first purchase I made, the first book arrived really quickly, but the second didn't dispatch until I actually emailed them for confirmation it was in stock. (It was in stock when I ordered, but then switched to Currently Unavailable, so I got worried when a 48-hour-estimated shipping time turned into 4 days with no word). They dispatched it the day they read my email.

My colleague ordered several books, all of which were dispatched 8 days ago, but only one has arrived, so she's now sent an email about the others.

I don't have a problem with things arriving seperately, but it all seems very scattered.

I don't mind the slowness so much as we've both has issues at the same time. My issue wasn't just slowness - they just didn't dispatch it, until I contacted them and pointed out it hadn't been dispatched. Either way, my book that did arrive arrived very quickly indeed, so that's something!

I absolutely adore The Book Depository. They have tons of books I can't find anywhere else, they're cheap compared to other online stores and the free shipping everywhere is such a plus if you live outside of the US or UK. Sometimes, it drives me crazy when I can't find a book anywhere at all - especially English books. So yeah, it takes a while to wait for my books since I have to transfer money to PayPal each time (too bad you can't pay with Maestro), but in general - I love the site, and it's my go-to online bookstore.

• 6 months later...

They're about to have another 25 hour sale - if you want to take a look, can I please ask you to click on the banner at the top to take you there - if you go on to buy, the forum receives a small percentage, and it all helps. :)

Sure thing! :) Anything to help out :)

Bloody hell, another 25 hour sale... Oh man :D This comes at a worst moment ever: I have the time (I'm sick and in bed most of the time) and I have some money at the bank... Doh!! :doh:  

:giggle: