Book Depository has free shipping, anywhere in the world!

Maggie Dana

This online UK bookseller, The Book Depository, has free shipping anywhere in the world. I'm English, but live in the States and have always had to either wait for my favourite English authors to be published over here, or buy the English edition and pay shipping via Amazon UK which usually doubles the price of the book.

So I'm really thrilled to have discovered this site:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know very well this site. It works perfectly and there are no shipping costs. I love it, because living in Italy means both you don't have much choice in the few libraries where they have a narrow selection of english books and you have to pay extras for importing fees. That's why I buy from The Bookdepository.

With Play.com, I find my country is 'unavilable' to ship to.

With that one, I find that it's still cheaper to buy a book on Amazon marketplace with the shipping. Still, if I ever do find a book I can't be below 6 euro on Amazon, I'll definately check out this site.

• 3 years later...

Oh noes... BookDepository is doing another new 'one offer every hour' 24 hour marathon! It was so much fun the last time, I think I might have to check out what they have tomorrow... I hope they won't have anything I'd like!

Oh noes... BookDepository is doing another new 'one offer every hour' 24 hour marathon! It was so much fun the last time, I think I might have to check out what they have tomorrow... I hope they won't have anything I'd like!

I'm going to sit and watch for as long as I can, so far I haven't seen anything I would like, but keeping fingers crossed!

Edited by Devi

It's silly how much fun it is, waiting for it to be another full hour and to see what's up next :D Nothing interesting so far, unfortunately! I was momentarily interested in Watchmen, but then it was a hardback and then I found out it's not the graphic novel but a picture book of the sets or whatever. Very disappointed!

It's silly how much fun it is, waiting for it to be another full hour and to see what's up next :D Nothing interesting so far, unfortunately! I was momentarily interested in Watchmen, but then it was a hardback and then I found out it's not the graphic novel but a picture book of the sets or whatever. Very disappointed!

Yes, I was too! I thought wow that's cheap for the graphic novel! Was glad I double checked the description in my excitement, before rushing off to buy it :giggle:

Edited by Devi

Yeah, it was really quite deceiving! And you know I think it wasn't even sold out :D

The only book I've been tempted to buy so far was Animal Farm by George Orwell, it was a beautiful copy. Devi, have you purchased anything?

I have bought off of Book Depository, and was satisfied. However on occasion I've seen books advertised by them on Amazon Marketplace, so I'd go to BD directly and the book was always "unavailable". Kind of put me off them. Of course I have Amazon Prime, so that makes a difference for me. Getting new books in two days is great to say the least.

Wonder if anyone brought it never realisings its just pics of the set.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if somebody did! Although beneath the title there was the name of the 'author' and it was not the ones who really wrote the book and illustrated it, so I hope that at least warned some people off.

I purchased one book, Why Does E=mc2?: (and Why Should We Care?) by Brian Cox.

I missed out on seeing animal house by George Orwell, it must of come up while I was sleeping, I probably would of bought that too. I thought it was a tad disappointing, I was expecting better titles. It's like they were just trying to get rid of any extra stock they had.

I purchased one book, Why Does E=mc2?: (and Why Should We Care?) by Brian Cox.

I missed out on seeing animal house by George Orwell, it must of come up while I was sleeping, I probably would of bought that too. I thought it was a tad disappointing, I was expecting better titles. It's like they were just trying to get rid of any extra stock they had.

Yeah I think it was nighttime in Australia when that book was up, and vice versa with the Cox book. I don't even dare to ask which books were on sale when I was sleeping, I don't want to know :D

Just to say, if anyone's shopping there, could you click on a banner first.. Many thanks! :D

I always do! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Laura, they've only had the 24-hour sale about 3 times, and I think they've had it twice this year so far. For a week or two beforehand, they advertise the upcoming sale on their website and on Facebook, and they send out emails if you're on their email list.

Hi lolol, I would say that the site is pretty secure. It has many users from all over the world and I've never heard of problems. If you want to be extra sure, check for the little padlock icon in your browser window (it might only appear when you have logged in). They have some information about their security here.

According to the delivery options page, delivery time to Peru is 7-10 working days. However, it says 10 working days to Australia (where I am), and I occasionally receive them within 4 working days, which is incredibly fast given I live on the other side of the world!

Has anyone tried the tracking option? I ordered a couple on Saturday (UK's Friday) and it's still coming up with 'Processing'. I want to see 'On the Way'. :D

But I must say the prices are very reasonable and the free delivery is great.

Edited by poppy

I check this option virtually every day when I've ordered books. :) Rather than typing (or copying) the order number though, I click on 'Your Account' and then 'Order History', and it shows all orders, divided by Open and Previous. It will show 'Dispatched' once they've been sent, so if you've already waited several days, I'd say they will soon be dispatched. Sometimes they're extremely quick to dispatch, but some of mine have been a bit slower lately. I hope that helps. :)

• 4 weeks later...

It's definitely an afternoon thing because they posted about it on Facebook. It goes for 5 hours. It's interesting that they're not doing a 24-hour sale like they usually do. With such a small sale, I hope they'll be selling decent books instead of, well, the not-so-good books they usually sell. :) It's starts at 9pm my time, so I guess I'll be having a late night.

Is anyone else having problems checking out an order with BD today? I've been trying to order a book all afternoon and it keeps telling me payment has been rejected, using both Paypal and my credit card. I'm pretty sure I'm not that skint! :lol: