Ice Hockey

frankie

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gob-smacked when team USA scored with 24 seconds left, the extra player thing actually worked.. for a change. All in vain though, seems fitting that the last gold medal of the games should go to the host country. Loved the hockey this Olympics, first time I've really bothered. Might watch in future, was an excellent game.

It was by far one of the most memorable and best Olympic games to have been played. Congrats to team Canada for taking the gold, they deserved it :lol:

Unfortunately I only got to see bits and parts of the game as I ended up babysitting 5 month old twins who were very hungry, hyper and well.... I won't share what else they were. I look forward to seeing the highlights later, I'm sure they will be played over and over! I did get to see USA recieve their silver metals, they should be proud of how well they did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I should have looked for this thread before posting in the 'what are you watching' thread :D;)

So who's going to make the Stanley Cup Finals this year? I was convinced the Caps would push the Penguins in the East, but that's out the window now. I would've loved to see Ovechkin go up against Crosby again. Really hoping Chicago make a go of it in the West - they're exciting to watch.

The Habs/Pens game 2 is on ESPN America in about an hour, and then the Wings/Sharks game 2 is on at midnight (UK time) - and no work tomorrow so I can stay up :D

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Tis the season again! Let's talk hockey!

I haven't been able to watch any of the games so far because my TV's been broken but BF fixed it again. I know what it is that he does, it always starts to work when he's around.

Any fans out there? Who are you rooting for? C'mon c'mon! :friends3:

Tis the season again! Let's talk hockey!

I haven't been able to watch any of the games so far because my TV's been broken but BF fixed it again. I know what it is that he does, it always starts to work when he's around.

Any fans out there? Who are you rooting for? C'mon c'mon! :friends3:

I'm a fan, but our season is just about over in the US, Frankie! They are in the middle of the Stanley Cup finals now and my state's team didn't advance very far :(. If the Philadelphia Flyers are still in though I'm rooting for them to take the Cup!

Woooo! The Finns beat their eastern neighbor Russia tonight, so it's Finland against Sweden on Sunday, fighting for the gold medal. It'll be a great match to watch, I'd say it's Finland's dream final, playing against Sweden, our great rival country! I'm so excited, and I have to say I didn't dream of beating Russia today.

Way to go to the Finns!

I found out over yesterday that one of our former pro hockey players, Derek Boogaard, who played for the Wild before heading to New York, was found dead in his apartment over the weekend. :( He was only 28, and still lived here in Minneapolis. So far there hasn't been a cause of death but an autopsy is being performed.

• 4 months later...

So the NHL have taken the broadcast rights away from ESPN and given them to two different companies who have proceeded to re-sell the rights across the world, supposedly with a view towards expanding the sport's popularity. So what have they done? They've priced ESPN America out of the bidding and sold the UK rights to Premier Sports. Premier Sports! Another extra subscription to a channel that will be showing less games, most of which won't be live, and only in standard def. The only other alternative is to pay £101 to subscribe to the NHL's internet-only Gamecenter Live.

No thanks. I'll do without the NHL. Idiots. :irked:

That sounds a really crappy and expensive deal for the fans!

Interestingly enough I was thinking about Ice Hockey today, and how I enjoyed it when I watched some World Championships, or Olympics perhaps, sometime ago. I was wondering about starting to watch again, but have no idea if it's even in season or which team I would support or anything like that. Is there any major matches on at the moment? Doing a quick search it seems NHL is the stuff I'd enjoy watching, now just to pick myself a random team. :lol:

The hockey season's just started, Ben, so I'm excited! I pretty much just follow my state's team, the Minnesota Wild. Our next game is tomorrow night :D

Big rivalry games usually consist of matchups between teams like the Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks, Philadelphia Flyers, Detroit Redwings, Toronto Mapleleafs or of course, the Wild :D.

That sounds a really crappy and expensive deal for the fans!

Interestingly enough I was thinking about Ice Hockey today, and how I enjoyed it when I watched some World Championships, or Olympics perhaps, sometime ago. I was wondering about starting to watch again, but have no idea if it's even in season or which team I would support or anything like that. Is there any major matches on at the moment? Doing a quick search it seems NHL is the stuff I'd enjoy watching, now just to pick myself a random team. :lol:

Probably a bad time to start watching the NHL in the UK, bearing in mind my post, above. If you're in Yorkshire, you might be better off going to live matches in the UK Elite League:

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/

If we had a London team I'd be going - I used to go when we had the London Knights, but they folded a few years ago :(

I am a big UK ice hockey fan, I support the Nottingham Panthers. They show this on Sky Sports too on a friday night, they have a highlights show and then show a live game once every couple of months.