Ice Hockey

frankie

I know there are some of you who are into ice hockey and watch these games so quit hiding and join me to see who's winning the World Championship this year! Who do you support? Who would you hate to see win?

I support team Finland (of course) and I would just hate to lose to Sweden. But then again, I do love Sweden and if Finland doesn't win, I'd be happy to give the medals to the Swedes. USA and Canada are tough cookies as well, and for some reason I wouldn't want either of them to win, especially USA. Canada's been so good for so long that I'd like to see them eat dust!! (I'm ranting and raving now but please bear in mind that I'm talking ice hockey only and don't want to offend anyone personally!)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to start this discussion myself, but I'm happy you did. *laughs*

Well, the games have been bad so far, and it's really difficult to say really anything about the power balance between the big ones. Few notes though...

- Canada looks lethal. As always.

- Russia is strong. They've finally, in the past few years, learned to play like a team. That being said, I've only seen snippets of their game.

- USA is either going to be huge, or crash and burn spectacularly. They're still building, they have a huge amount of young talent in the team. How are they going to handle a tight spot that's still to come, that is the key.

- Finland, which I support, of course. Not looking too good. Maybe a medal, maybe. the defence is miserable, what is Niinimaa doing there again?? Salmela needs to get in gear, he's trying to make a hero out of himself and just ruins his game. Finland has one good line, and a great goalie. Not enough.

- Sweden. Lost to Latvia. And has huge gaps in defence. But, they're Sweden, they always manage to do well. So I'm predicting a medal, not gold, though.

- Czech Republic... out of medals. I have no real reason for saying this, I just don't think they'll make it.

BUT, that all being said, we haven't seen any good games yet. It's all been "let's practice scoring goals", like Canada's Ray put it after the Hungary game. *laughs* After tomorrow we know more.

Oh, dear God...

:):lol::lol::lol: What, what's the matter??

ii I was actually surprised to come to the forum after a few days off and not finding a thread of the championships started by you! Phew I'm glad you're supporting Finland, I was worried you might go with USA or some other country because of some weird reason.

I haven't watched too many games yet and I'm not such a big fanatic as to watch every single game, I usually just watch Finland's games (sometimes Sweden's too). Finland hasn't played against any tough opponent's yet (Norway and Denmark, why do they even try?) so can't really say much yet :lol: But it's good to have you here ii to give more professional opinions about things!! :lol:

So glad you knew I was only kidding, Frankie :)

I AM anti-sports, though. Except for the nachos.. and occasionally hot dogs.. served at the events. Those things make them near-fun occasions, somehow!

Now I'll shut up so ii can prattle on some more in response to your questions.. way to open it up, Frankie... :lol:

:lol:

ii I was actually surprised to come to the forum after a few days off and not finding a thread of the championships started by you!

And this is why I didn't do it:

Oh, dear God...

*laughs*

Phew I'm glad you're supporting Finland, I was worried you might go with USA or some other country because of some weird reason.

Well, given that technically I'm American, there would be some weird logic for me to do just that. But no, it's always been Finland for me. In the past few years even more so than when I was a kid. *laughs* I do support USA in track&field, except for javelin, where I cheer for Norway. And then there's France for football.

I haven't watched too many games yet and I'm not such a big fanatic as to watch every single game, I usually just watch Finland's games (sometimes Sweden's too). Finland hasn't played against any tough opponent's yet (Norway and Denmark, why do they even try?) so can't really say much yet :lol: But it's good to have you here ii to give more professional opinions about things!! :lol:

Professional opinions? Hopefully some day! *grins* But yeah, it's been pretty useless so far. Practice games, really. And I justify 6 hours of hockey every evening by calling it "thesis work". *cracks up*

I AM anti-sports, though. Except for the nachos.. and occasionally hot dogs.. served at the events. Those things make them near-fun occasions, somehow!

and the booze.

Now I'll shut up so ii can prattle on some more in response to your questions.. way to open it up, Frankie... :)

:lol:

Don't mock my prattling. You seem to be enjoying it on the topic of handbags, after all. *laughs*

I feel like I've unleashed the beast!! :lol:

Why is everyone constantly referring to me as 'beast' or 'monster'??? You're all off the cookie list now. *pouts*

*laughs*

Why is everyone constantly referring to me as 'beast' or 'monster'??? You're all off the cookie list now. *pouts*

*laughs*

Good, I could lose a few pounds!!

I honestly laughed my ass off at Bethany's first comment, one of the most funniest moments on the forum I've experienced!

and the booze.

Don't mock my prattling. You seem to be enjoying it on the topic of handbags, after all. *laughs*

That goes without saying.

And yes, I'm enjoying it in the handbag section.. but here's Frankie, trying to steal my thunder.. pretty effective, picking hockey, I must say.. If I wasn't giving Frankie the cold shoulder over it, I'd applaud her "go big or go home" method.

I honestly laughed my ass off at Bethany's first comment, one of the most funniest moments on the forum I've experienced!

Good.. I only kid. :):lol: I am not truly annoyed.. secretly I'm happy you guys have someone to prattle on about hockey with, but that's awfully big-girl of me to feel that way, so I'm not advertising it...

It was a pretty spontaneous reaction, I'd say...

That goes without saying.

With you and me, yes it does.

And yes, I'm enjoying it in the handbag section.. but here's Frankie, trying to steal my thunder.. pretty effective, picking hockey, I must say.. If I wasn't giving Frankie the cold shoulder over it, I'd applaud her "go big or go home" method.

Well, if you're not going to play big, why bother at all? She was awfully crafty, though. And worry not, I can discuss handbags and ice hockey at the same time. I'm smarter than you think, you see.

I am not truly annoyed.. secretly I'm happy you guys have someone to prattle on about hockey with, but that's awfully big-girl of me to feel that way, so I'm not advertising it...

We won't tell.

Well, I am admittedly only a fair weather hockey fan :lol:, and do not know enough to say who's going to win the World Championship this year. I will cheer for the USA, although I won't cry if Canada wins because Harding is playing for them, and my old fave player Roloson (even though he betrayed us last year and left the Wild). If anything, I will enjoy the eye candy for sure!!!

Well, there isn't any telly coverage (big bloody surprise!) in this country, but I have just managed to find an internet p2p that is saying they will be showing some of the games. They're showing the France vs Germany & Canada vs Slovakia game, so I suppose that at 7:15 this evening I shall be glued to the laptop cheering Canada on!

Now, as I am Canadian, they are naturally my choice to win, but if they can't win then I am picking Sweden (I always do!)

Canflag%20(2).gif wav%20(2).gif smiliehockey%20(2).gif

Well, there isn't any telly coverage (big bloody surprise!) in this country, but I have just managed to find an internet p2p that is saying they will be showing some of the games.

I wanted to give it a go but can't find it in the french programs either. :)

Well, that was a complete bust. The p2p site that was showing it isn't working for some reason! There are people on the chat who say they are getting it, but I'm not. Just a black screen, grrrrrrrrrrr!

Ouch, that must have hurt just watching. *shudders*

It didn't even look bad. It was a clean hit, he just smashed into the board. And didn't get up.

They're showing the France vs Germany & Canada vs Slovakia game, so I suppose that at 7:15 this evening I shall be glued to the laptop cheering Canada on!

You didn't miss anything. Well, some pretty power-play goals, perhaps, but other than that is was a bad bad game. Blah!

Girls' game-night tonight!! Chicken hot wings, beer, cursing, cheering... this should be so much fun! Oh, and pink champagne, of course!