Should one pay attention to fanfiction?

Glowmay

I personally find reading fanfiction interesting, although sometimes it is a little annoying when a writer has bad spelling or there isn't a single comma or full stop in the entire story, but it can often give me inspirations for my English stories, etc.

So what do you think? Is fanfiction just some mumble-jumble made up by fans to satisfy their thirst for more, or something worth paying attention to?

I don't really pay attention to fanfiction... Simply because it usually goes the "will you end up with Draco or Harry"-way. I suppose there could be some good fanfiction out there... But I'm not really interested. *shrugs*

There is some very good fan-fiction out there, but there is a lot more bad fan-fiction.

ETA:

I don't really pay attention to fanfiction... Simply because it usually goes the "will you end up with Draco or Harry"-way.

That's more slash-fiction than fan-fiction, isn't it?

Edited by Raven

I do read it, but if I start with anything new it takes awhile to get to know the really good authors, because like Raven said, there's a lot of bad stuff out there. Some of the things I've been reading for years though because I found some really excellent writers who have been doing it forever and luckily, continue. Just beware I guess :roll:.

It's pretty much fans writing their version of what can happen with characters from a movie/book/tv show. It started back in the 60's or 70's I think and is really just an outlet for fans to write what they want. A lot of it out there is bad, but a lot of it is written really well and in the style of how the original author/screenwriter intended it to be.

I've read some good Twilight ones, and a few okay Harry Potter ones over the years, but like people have said, there's lots of ****, but you can occasionally stumble across something good, I belong to a community that lists good fanfic so sometimes i'll read that :roll:

I've read some good Twilight ones, and a few okay Harry Potter ones over the years, but like people have said, there's lots of ****, but you can occasionally stumble across something good, I belong to a community that lists good fanfic so sometimes i'll read that :)

I've been reading Twilight ones as well lately, Lexie, but am still sorting through all the good and bad, LOL. I have found a few gems though.

I also read quite a bit of West Wing FF, and I have a good friend who reads a lot of Starsky & Hutch stuff if you can believe it. Some of the people still writing have been around since the show began.

*frowns* This thread and the hyperactive Harry Potter discussion really isn't a good combination for my sanity.

I've read a lot of HP fanfiction over the years, way too much. It's true that there are a lot of great stories in there, equally true that most of it is rubbish. But mostly, I've found it pathetically addictive. But I'm over it now, haven't thought of it for months.

So I'm steering clear from here. You lot won't tempt me back into it.

:)

I've read fanfiction a time or two, a long time ago, but it doesn't really hold my interest (to those that do enjoy it however, kudos to you). I do prefer to stick to the fact that he original movie/book/TV show presents, but I can definitely see the appeal that fanfiction would hold.

*frowns* This thread and the hyperactive Harry Potter discussion really isn't a good combination for my sanity.

I've read a lot of HP fanfiction over the years, way too much. It's true that there are a lot of great stories in there, equally true that most of it is rubbish. But mostly, I've found it pathetically addictive. But I'm over it now, haven't thought of it for months.

So I'm steering clear from here. You lot won't tempt me back into it.

:D

I find it addictive too. I have days when it's all I read and then I don't read any for weeks or months and then go back to it! Now I just read the updates I get in my inbox or on LJ on stories I started watching and keep getting updated but last week it was all about Harry Potter fanfiction :)

I find it addictive too. I have days when it's all I read and then I don't read any for weeks or months and then go back to it! Now I just read the updates I get in my inbox or on LJ on stories I started watching and keep getting updated but last week it was all about Harry Potter fanfiction :)

Haha, e-mail updates are evil! Cause you go check that new chapter and then you think of that other story but it hasn't been updated in months so you start brwosing for another one and... Yeah, the motions are up again *cracks up*

As a teenager I used to read a lot of Beatles fanfiction, most of which was almost hysterically bad. The good ones, however, made up for it all. My personal favourite was about a girl who went back in time to try and avoid John being killed so senselessly :) but ended up causing all sorts of problems in the course of history. It was one of the single saddest and most beautiful things I've ever read.

Aren't most writers these days curbing fanfiction with copyrights? I'd heard there's been trouble and lawsuits

If that is true, it's so petty...! Irrespective of the quality of the fanciction, that someone took time to create and share a new adventure set in the world of their creation should fill an author's heart with pride and gratitude. What wouldn't any new writer, as yet uncurrupted by the greed of the publishing system, give for such a loving an loyal fan-base?