Greg Bear - Darwin's Children

This is the September book, guys!

I have included a synopsis below. If you buy it on Amazon don't forget to go through the link to generate money to run this site!

Greg Bear - Darwins' Chidren

Eleven years have passed since SHEVA, an ancient retrovirus, was discovered in human DNA

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished it, but I have been thinking what to say about it!

I really enjoyed it, though as usual for Greg Bear, the science goes a bit over my head and I have passed it on to Catherine to read as this is her field! [she will tell me if it is possible or complete fantasy! :D ]

There were areas I would like to have explored more, such as the sudden appearance at the end of very old SHEVA people (huh?) and I found the way he wrote about the reaction of the government interesting, but I would have liked to know more about SHEVA children in other countries, and how they were dealing with them, this was only referred to casually.

I will think of more to say, but what did you think?

Debbie

A review I read said you don't miss out by not reading Darwin's Radio (I think that's the title), but I'm not sure - it probably gives a better understanding of SHEVA.

The science bit went over my head a little (I think Lou would enjoy this one), but I enjoyed it most looking how people reacted to something that was 'different'. Given their own 'community' the children (teenagers) were able to develop their own lives (such as the houses being completely different), but they weren't allowed to do that within the 'normal' community, because people were scred of them.

No one else?

One thing I did find a little odd was the mixtre of science, and the other things that happened. The guy being 'led' to the male bodies was strange enough, but the scientists experiences with the 'entity' she felt was God....

I can see how they tried to show that a scientist would have a hard time with this, what with her having CTs and the such, but within a book setting, they didn't seem to 'gel'.

Anyone else understand what I'm trying to say?! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...