The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Raven

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you like it, frankie :lol: I have no objection to other people buying it, I'm just fed up with it being rammed down my throat! *rant over* I'll shut up now :lol:

No, I understand what you're saying, even I am fed up with Tom Hanks's face on play.com every time I go there, advertising for the new Dan Brown book, and I've ordered the book myself :lol: Advertising get really old really quick, especially if you're not inclined to buy the product.

There's one thing about this book coming out that bothered me...the main book page on Amazon has been touting its release as the "most anticipated new book release in history" (my emphasis). I mean, really...the most anticipated release in all of human history??? Give me a break. :lol:

There's one thing about this book coming out that bothered me...the main book page on Amazon has been touting its release as the "most anticipated new book release in history" (my emphasis). I mean, really...the most anticipated release in all of human history??? Give me a break. :lol:

:lol: That's a good one! I think I could name many many books that were more anticipated in the near history, let alone the whole of history :lol:

The thing that I don't understand is that with everyone selling it for half price, how on earth is anyone (apart from Brown, his agent and publisher) going to make any money from this? How does it make sense for a book of this stature and importance to be sold as a loss leader and what does it say about the value that we actually put on these things?

I suspect most of the big chains (and supermarkets etc) will have negotiated to get the book in bulk at below half-price, even if it means their margin is pretty negligible.

It's the smaller, independents that are going to struggle to match prices on this.

I suspect most of the big chains (and supermarkets etc) will have negotiated to get the book in bulk at below half-price, even if it means their margin is pretty negligible.

It's the smaller, independents that are going to struggle to match prices on this.

A friend of mine bought it last night, for

I will approach this book with much trepidation - it got giggled at by the critics on Front Row on Radio 4 (not a good sign), and the satirists are having a field day with it. I'll still read it, mind, and make my own judgement. However, I think I'll wait until I can pick it up for a quid in the bargain buckets (which may be sooner than we imagine).

Hup-la. :friends0: