The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Raven

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mind TDVC or A&D, but I'm sort of over it.. don't think I'll be picking up the next one. It was a HUGE deal in America when I read them, and so many TV shows, movie, documentaries, etc followed; just sort of made me sick of it. Who knows though? Never say never. :roll:

Can't say I'm going to rush out to buy this on D-Day but I will get around to it eventually. Seeing that Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons ALWAYS seem to be available in charity shops, I will probably wait until it turns up there......:roll:

I did enjoy Angels and Demons though and will look forward to the film coming out next month.

Can't say I'm going to rush out to buy this on D-Day but I will get around to it eventually. Seeing that Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons ALWAYS seem to be available in charity shops, I will probably wait until it turns up there......:roll:

I did enjoy Angels and Demons though and will look forward to the film coming out next month.

Quote both.

Not craving for this new book, whose existence I found out yesterday and which I'll eventually read in future.

Looking forward to watch the film. Even if (and it is strange 'cause I usually love films starred by Hanks: Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Cast Away, Saving private Ryan, Big and counting...) I've found the performance of Hanks a bit boring in the first film...

I didn't know he'd finally finished his latest book (I think it's been in the pipeline since 2006?!) - I'll probably read it though as I liked 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons'.

I thought 'Digitial Fortress' was also quite good but I hated 'Deception Point'. Just dull, dull, dull. It took me about 3 attempts to get into it and by the end I wish I hadn't bothered!

:roll:

I really enjoyed Angels and Demons (definitely going to go and watch the film when it's released in theaters) but I wasn't too crazy about The Da Vinci Code. Nonetheless, I'm most likely going to read The Lost Symbol out of curiosity and hope that the book will be in my good graces by the time I finish it.

I haven't read any of Dan Brown's books at all, which may seem strange for someone who writes (admittedly non ficton) the same kind of stuff. I have read most of the books, such as The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail however that he got his inspiration from.

I did go to see the film - mostly because one of my best friends husbands was in it as an extra - in one of the scenes filmed in Lincoln Cathedral. He has got the right hump she tells me because he wasn't invited to take part in Angels and Demons. I expect we will go to see it anyway.

From what I have heard of the new book, it was originally to be called The Solomon Key. Dan Brown has hinted in interviews that he got his inspiration for this new book from The Hiram Key by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas who are Masonic scholars. From this I can surmise that it will be something to do with King Solomon's Temple and the architect who designed it, Hiram Abif, maybe going into detail on the Templar connections. I touch on some of these themes in my own work, and have a whole chapter on the Templars, so it will be interesting to see if I can use it to get more publicity for my own work.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read all four of the books - Angels and Demons is definitely my fave, due to the massive twist one chapter before the end! I will definitely get a copy of The Lost Symbol. Does anyone else think it is about the masons? Like Talisman says, there have been clues in interviews but the title doesn't give that much away?

I've read all four of the books - Angels and Demons is definitely my fave, due to the massive twist one chapter before the end! I will definitely get a copy of The Lost Symbol. Does anyone else think it is about the masons? Like Talisman says, there have been clues in interviews but the title doesn't give that much away?

This is from Wiki, so who knows.. but wanted to put it out there in case it helps:

Brown's new novel starring Robert Langdon, The Lost Symbol,[14] will reportedly take place in Washington D.C., and feature the secret society of the Freemasons. Brown's promotional website states that puzzles hidden in the book jacket of The Da Vinci Code, including two references to the Kryptos sculpture at CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia, give hints about the novel's story.

from thecryptex.com:

When the United States Constitution was adopted on September 15, 1787, Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17, included language authorizing the establishment of a federal district (Washington D.C.).

The Constitution was then ordered engrossed on Saturday, September 15, and the work was done by Jacob Shallus (a Mason) who was "drafted" to pen the Constitution by Benjamin Franklin (Mason).

September 15, 1620 - Mayflower departs from Plymouth England with 102 pilgrims.

All of the information found so far still leads to a book resembling Solomon's Key; based around freemason's and Washington DC.

I have read all Dan Brown's books, I really loved Angels and Demons (will the film be good?) I am so excited that another book is coming out later this year, can we pre-order yet lol.............

It is actually quite easy to find information on the Masons if you know where to look - the works of Robert Lomas and Christopher Knight are the best known and most accessible. I suspect that this is where Dan Brown got most of his information.

I don't know a great deal about the free masons but have been to a couple of do's at the lodges........and very nice they were too. No doubt if it is about something you don't know much about it makes it all the more appealing. There is a part of the masons for ladies but I can't remember its name.

Well I can't say that I will be rushing out to buy it the day it is realesed,however i suspect I'll get around to it eventually,most likley from the library. I would quite like to read it. I did like The Da Vinci Code but I preferred Angels and Demons.

Count me ... out :D

The Da Vinci Code was dreadful, so badly written it almost made Twilight look like a masterpiece! Thankfully, I had to read it for my library reading group, so I didn't have to pay any of my own money for it, but that did mean I had to read it all to be able to talk about it fully ;)

dear ms Beach

I'd very much like to join your club.

Unless submitted to a very unlikely Clockwork Orangesque torture, i shall never read Angels, Demons, Davinci Codes or any such tosh by Mr Dan Brown

I hope the below quoted earlier post explains why

PS : I've been to Chesil Beach... It looks very nice from Portland Bill!

Digital Fortress was the first Dan Brown novel that I read (before the ensuing hubbub) and the one that caused me to decide in no uncertain terms never to read another.

Imagine my astonishment, as he became the world

• 2 weeks later...

I pre-ordered The Lost Symbol from WH Smith's last week, although I am a little curious because my Creative Writing teachers told us that all Dan Brown's novels are rubbish. I refuse to trust others and will reserve judgment until I have read one myself. I was just wondering what it is about his writing that people like, can his fans tell me?

I will admit that Brown's novels are not the wittiest or best written books, and that his characters are not truly believable. I will also admit, however, that reading The Code and A&D was great fun, especially in those cold, wintry days when you have the flu, want to be alone and be taken away by a good read.:smile2:

I will definitely get The Last Symbol (in paperback however). I love these kind of books when I am in the mood. For transatlantic flights they make the time fly by (unless there is turbulence - I am chicken)

For transatlantic flights they make the time fly by (unless there is turbulence - I am chicken)

I read Angels and Demons on my plane to America, and The Da Vinci Code on the way home :smile2::D

• 3 months later...