Your sports

Polly

Walking is great, when I am walking my younger dog I walk very briskly (she runs around like a nutter!) I am looking forward to my birthday in a couple of weeks as I am getting a Fitbit so will then know how much ground I am covering. 

Tomorrow evening I am going for a taster session at a Netball club, I haven't played since my school days, nearly 30 years! :o Still, I need to get fitter and it could be fun!! 

We do lots of walking when we are away it is just to nice to be out in the fresh air.  I have a tracker and like to keep a note of how many steps we do.  Usually amazed at the amount and it helps with my weight loss.

18 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

I might just hallucinate this, but I think I read somewhere that walking is one of the healthiest sports to do. Something to do with the fact that walking is really something that takes time, which is always better, and your heartrate doesn't go through the roof. I should probably walk more! Do you really follow walking routes on weekends or on holiday, or do you walk as you go and see where you end up?

I think I have heard this somewhere as well. Of course whether you work up a sweat or not depends on how fast you walk and I guess to some extent the weather. I am faster than a lot of people covering on average around 3 miles per hour. Of course hoovering and cleaning in general burns a fair amount of calories as well, and I certainly work up a sweat doing that. As for whether I follow set routes or see where I end up, that depends on what sort of holiday I am on. Walking around the footpaths in the southwest for example is of course a set route, but getting lost in a strange city as I did when I went to Malta recently definitely isn't! It is though a great way to explore.  

• 2 months later...

Hi I am new on this forum :).

Anyway, the sports I like are football, jogging and ice-skating. But to be honest if I knew every sport I would do them all, because I think every sport is fun :).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16-8-2017 at 11:06 AM, Madeleine said:

My friend did one spinning class and said it nearly killed her!

The first two classes nearly killed me, but I went with my brother-in-law who guided me through them and convinced me to keep going. He said the first three times he went, he couldn't follow every instruction, but you just have to listen to your body and build it up. The third time, I was only half-dead. Then the fourth time I managed to follow all the instructions, been building up, and now I love it. 

I actually love it so much that it made me think about why exactly I hate bicycling so much, found out the reason (it was my old, unaccustomed bike), got a new bike and now bike a lot more!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

During lockdown I did the course to teach Zumba as I love dancing. I also recently started doing Aerial Fitness at a circus academy (the aerial hoop and silks).

On 8/16/2017 at 10:06 AM, Madeleine said:

My friend did one spinning class and said it nearly killed her!

I've done spin as well before and it definitely kills - the leisure centre near where I work started doing Les Mills The Trip spin classes and my legs complained about it for a week afterwards 😂

Edited by MikeWilson

On 9/26/2022 at 8:30 PM, MikeWilson said:

During lockdown I did the course to teach Zumba as I love dancing.

I’ve always wanted to try Zumba but have never had the courage to go to a class. Plus, I have absolutely no rhythm whatsoever so I’m not sure how I would get on. It does look fun though!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kudz said:

I’ve always wanted to try Zumba but have never had the courage to go to a class. Plus, I have absolutely no rhythm whatsoever so I’m not sure how I would get on. It does look fun though!

If you don't feel quite ready to do a class yet I know on Zumba dot com they have prerecorded online classes where you can choose an instructor and they are one way so you don't need to worry about other people watching you on Zoom or anything or YouTube has a lot of videos for specific songs.

I would say in a live class though I'm virtually certain no one would judge you and speaking for myself as an instructor when I get the music and steps from Zumba it takes me more than a few attempts to copy what they are doing before I can even teach it in a class and the instructor would understand that too. Also the main thing for me is that the student has fun with it when they are in the class. ♥️