Your sports

Polly

My main sport is walking - it is a passion that started a child after I joined the Brownies and later on the Guides. I have always been an outdoor person, and can quite happily spend up to 12 hours a day walking, watching birds etc - the further north and the rugged the terrain the better ! We are very lucky living where where we do, surrounded by one of the National Trust's largest estates, with miles of countryside literally on the doorstep.

Apart from walking, I go to the gym 2-3 times a week as well, where I do a mixture of cardio and resistance.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Before I got M.E (and it got worse) I used to play tennis competitively, swim 4 times a week and gym 3 times! Now I'm lucky if I can walk into town and back. I do miss my sports.

In terms of watching, I love tennis, football and f1.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've never been exactly a couch potato, but it still took me a while to really find my thing. I'm totally hooked on pole dancing nowadays. This is the first time I really look forward to every lesson and have goals. And I've never been this fit! Though I'd need to be much more fit and flexible to be able to do some of the more challenging tricks, but I'm getting there... (And just because the term pole dancing always manages to confuse people: no, it's not the same as stripping or just walking around the pole all sexy and stuff - the name pole acrobatics would actually be more suitable. :) )

I also go jogging every day. I'd love to start riding again, but I'm not sure if I could afford it... Same with badminton, haven't been playing in a couple of years now. Should find someone to play with. I'm also planning on trying yoga and/or pilates this spring.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I stopped going to the gym after the membership fees became too high, so most of my exercise is now confined to walking. I have an active job as cleaning supervisor for a disability charity and walk an average of 3 1/2 to 4 miles a day just at work, plus very often more at the weekends. When I travel of course I do more than twice that.

On 25-4-2017 at 10:06 PM, Talisman said:

I stopped going to the gym after the membership fees became too high, so most of my exercise is now confined to walking. I have an active job as cleaning supervisor for a disability charity and walk an average of 3 1/2 to 4 miles a day just at work, plus very often more at the weekends. When I travel of course I do more than twice that.

I might just hallucinate this, but I think I read somewhere that walking is one of the healthiest sports to do. Something to do with the fact that walking is really something that takes time, which is always better, and your heartrate doesn't go through the roof. I should probably walk more! Do you really follow walking routes on weekends or on holiday, or do you walk as you go and see where you end up?