McRecommends

Mac

The Shadow Of The Wind ~

A friend lent me this once, I really wanted to get into it but the first few pages utterly failed to grab me... should I try again?

The Time Traveler's Wife ~

Not a girly book, then (I'm not fond of girly books)?

Yes, it took me a while to get into, but was a great read.

No, not a girly book, but it's my favourite book ever, so give it a try! :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Mac, I managed to get hold of 'Kafka On The Shore' today, I thought I'd check to see what had been written about it on the forum, and lo and behold,

I started out with this chap reading Kafka On The Shore and I believe this one's a good one to start with, because he caught me hook, line and sinker from the get go.

I gave my last owned Murakami, before I had even read it, so I am looking forward to reading this one! :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My husband picked me up a copy of 'Kafka on the shore' a few weeks ago, it was the first book I read by Haruki Murakami, I love it. :friends0:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've reached my limit on how large the post is allowed to be, so I'll start a new one here. I'll have to keep locating this one, I guess. Happy days. :smile2:

Susan Cooper - The Dark is Rising (series). I read this when I was a youngster, it being perfect reading for early secondary school aged kids. I've mentioned them in a thread somewhere, stating how they still have a place in my soul and all that. I loved them. Seriously recommend them to anyone with kids.

Ursula le Guin - Earthsea (series). Another set of books I read when I was a youngster. I adored these books - I think I mentioned these on one of Michelle's threads. Again, I seriously recommend these.

Edited by Mac
Thought of more...

The Dark Is Rising Sequence is in my top 10 favourites and has been reread on a regular basis since I was 9 :yahoo: Just make sure not to watch the awful movie adaptation that they did a couple of years back :smile2: I was so disappointed with it and also mighty glad that plans to turn the rest of the books into movies were dropped!

The Dark Is Rising Sequence is in my top 10 favourites and has been reread on a regular basis since I was 9 :D Just make sure not to watch the awful movie adaptation that they did a couple of years back :smile2: I was so disappointed with it and also mighty glad that plans to turn the rest of the books into movies were dropped!

I couldn't bring myself to watch it. I was absolutely appalled that they changed Will's nationality and (I'm assuming) age to fit into an American audiences taste. I appreciate that film is a different medium and that they have to be judged on their own merits but, honestly, when it happens to something I love it makes me want to weep!

The trailer made me want to shoot the producers, anyway. :yahoo:

I did weep, I foolishly ignored all the negative reviews so I could judge for myself - that's 90 odd minutes of my life I'll never get back :motz:I sat all the way through the film complaining about everything as they just butchered it!

Gah! You watch, some mug will murder Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series next! If they do, I'm complaining. I don't know to whom, but I will!!!:smile2:

(which reminds me...)

Edited by Mac
Forgot summat...

Sorry!!! It's truly dire, I remember sitting through it a couple of years ago and wishing I could either bleach my brain or travel back in time :smile2: It was on E4 over Christmas so I suspect you could probably "stumble" across it one day.

Ah ha! I don't have a TV for this very reason. I choose what to watch by buying DVD's. I have no capacity to receive any channels. It's great!

I'd get stupidly wound up, finding myself near apoplexy over such silly things as The X Factor (if singing is your dream, mate, go and frickin' do it, bonehead!), despairing at the jazzed up news, snarling at vacuous presenters. So I did what people advise. I turned it off in 2003 and never turned it on again.

Nice. :smile2:

I went 4 years without a tv and then my parents bought me one which has the built-in Freeview - worst thing they could have done as I get sucked into all the progs I spent years avoiding, thanks Mum & Dad :smile2:

It's like a curse! If I'm round my girlfriends' house and the Idiot Box is on, my attention is sucked towards it. I always feel so terribly rude. Bloody thing. :smile2:

Well, I've reached my limit on how large the post is allowed to be, so I'll start a new one here. I'll have to keep locating this one, I guess. Happy days. :lol:

Would you like me to make you a blank post as post #2 so you can copy/paste the recommendations on page 5 there, and to save you looking for it each time? :lol: