McRecommends

Mac

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Perfume is amazing. It's one of the few books I didn't want to ramble about (even though I did anyway) because words can't do it justice. It's about the prose for the most part, but at some point (and I don't think it's entirely possible to pinpoint exactly when) the plot escalates beyond the absurd into the realm of the surreal, or even sublime, as I chose to see it. And I think the ending, while completely 'out there' was the most fitting end possible. It's definately a book everybody should read!!

I read Perfume for school years ago... can't remember it much except that I was completely bored with it. With all the great comments here I'm wondering if I was too young/ should try again?

Do you think it has a lot to do with the theme of smells though? I mean, I know it's a major theme in the book, but was one of the appeals for you the way the world of smells is described? Cause I have practically no sense of smell so that might explain my not "getting it".

That's interesting Chimera - because I have a very poor sense of smell too, to the point where I can't actually register any smells distinctly enough to even feel I have a sense of smell at all!

Reading Perfume, for the first time EVER I wished that I knew what some of these wonderful scents smell like, it's intriuged me because it was a vivid description of things I've never experienced :smile2:

Mac: just noticed that you actually commented in my reading thread when I'd listed Perfume, but I hadn't written my ramble. It's mostly incoherent ranting, but if you've any interest in reading a proper account of my interpretation, tis here

I thought his description of aroma was as close to perfection as the written word could make. I have a good sense of smell and taste as it's been something I've tried to develop and learn about. I wonder if it's because my eye-sight's so rubbish that my other senses seem to be good?

I think you should give it another go, Chimera, although the novel certainly hasn't been to everyone's tastes that I've recommended it to.

That's interesting Chimera - because I have a very poor sense of smell too, to the point where I can't actually register any smells distinctly enough to even feel I have a sense of smell at all!

Yeah, that pretty much sums me up as well. I sometimes get the feeling I'm smelling the food that's cooking, but other than that nothing.

I think I'll give it another go if I can unearth it from wherever it's hiding. If only to see how it describes scents.

Updated again. Just started The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and remembered how much I'd loved The Shadow of the Wind. I'm already loving this book. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Updated again after noticing what Rach.at.the.disco was reading. Thanks Rach.

Kelly, you will really like The Angel's Game. It is just wonderful. I'm going to carry on with it right now!

Patrick Suskind - Perfume. Two words: Utterly brilliant.

I've had this on my TBR pile for a while and I believe I have started it twice then given up for some reason. However, I may attempt this again after TTTW. If it's rubbish I'm holding you responsible Mac :).

Updated again after noticing what Rach.at.the.disco was reading. Thanks Rach.

No problem. At least I'm useful for something eh? :)

No problem. At least I'm useful for something eh? :)

Hush, now, Rach. No friend of mine can be that rubbish! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials (or Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife & The Amber Spyglass). These three novels made a huge impact upon me. I read them about six or seven years ago in succession. Forget J K Rowling, this guy is a Master at writing intelligent, gripping, thought-provoking novels. Pretend you never knew that these books are aimed at teenagers. Beautifully written, controversial at times, this is one of the few authors who have actually made me cry. Picture me, sitting upon my patio, soaking in the afternoon sun, crying like a baby just as my girlfriend returns from work...talk about putting her off...

Feeling quite down atm but just read this and I can't stop laughing!:blush: (sorry mac)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like your good self Mac, the first book I read by Haruki Murakami was 'Kafka On The Shore', I discovered him by accident, I was looking for something to read for the journey into Glasgow, anyway, that is how discovered him. I then read 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle', my favourite book so far, I love Toru and the experiences he has, and typical Murakami, there is a cat in the story ;) I know there is so much more to him that cats, etc, for me, specifically it’s his writing style, for instance from 'Kafka On The Shore' ~ "Memories are what warm you up from the inside. But they're also what tear you apart.", something very poetic and true about the quote.

I love the way he describes Japan, not the tourist spots but obscure places which he brings alive in his writing.

I am not sure if you have read 'A Wild Sheep Chase' or 'Dance Dance Dance' yet (if you have and I have missed it, apologies), please read them, just for the Sheep Man, for me, Haruki Murakami's greatest creation, ~ 'Dance' said the Sheep Man, 'Yougottadance' :D

With regards to Dean Koontz, I did notice in 'Odd Thomas' how much he likes animals. ;)

Edited by Weave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dean Koontz

Would I enjoy his Frankenstein books, do you think? Mary Shelley's original is one of my all-time favourite books so I can be a bit protective regarding crimes against it, i.e. I cringed and cursed my way through Kenneth Branagh's appalling Mary Shelley's (???!!!??) Frankenstein, with its vastly underused De Niro whom the maimed script completely failed to render sympathetic.

Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian.
This is already on my wishlist so it's good to have it recommended by you.

Donna Tartt - The Secret History. Again, this is one of my all time favourites. I became lost in her world of academia, of the classics, of exclusivity and felt something akin to grief or mourning when I finished this book.
This was teetering on the verge of falling into my wishlist; I believe you've just given it a pretty hefty push.

Douglas Adams
Seconded. Genius is what he was. R.I.P., D.N.A.

Patrick Suskind - Perfume.
Some have called "... Hercules Barefoot..." the "Perfume" of its generation; would you agree?, because if so I'm buying "Perfume" immediately.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon - The Shadow of the Wind
A friend lent me this once, I really wanted to get into it but the first few pages utterly failed to grab me... should I try again?

Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveller's Wife.
Not a girly book, then (I'm not fond of girly books)?

Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials (or Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife & The Amber Spyglass).
Again, already on the wishlist...

James Morrow - The Last Witchfinder. This is a novel I enjoyed hugely. It is narrated by Newton's Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy, which is unusual for a start. It follows the life of it's heroine, Jennet Stearne through all manner of up's and down's. If you like an historical novel, you'll love this.
I'm not a big reader of historical fiction but the very fact that this is narrated by the above mentioned tome is reason enough to intrigue me! Also interested in the same guy's "The Philosopher's Apprentice", have you read it?