Hello from across the pond

Maggie Dana

Hi:

After a rocky start wherein Michelle had to step in to slay the gremlins that were preventing me from signing up, I'm finally here. This looks like a great place to discuss books and favorite authors, and I can't wait to get dug in.

I grew up in England, but have lived in States for many years, and I spend so much time at my local library, they've offered me a bed in the corner.

Am now off to explore the forum.

Maggie

:lol: Maggie. You're going to love it here. It's quite addictive, mind, so be warned! Everyone is really lovely, which makes it even more likely that you'll be sucked in and unable to leave without a stay in The Priory. :roll:

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. It can be a bit intimidating, stepping into a new forum, wondering where to go first and hoping to meet someone along the road who enjoys the same sorts of books.

One good thing, besides the friendly people, is that I'm familiar with this particular online format, so I'm not having trouble negotiating the highways and byways ... yet! But give me time. I'm sure to figure out a way to mess up.

When I joined this forum today, I thought it was pretty much all UK-based, which is why I mentioned being 'from across the pond.' But now, reading posts and seeing that members come from all four corners, I'm feeling a bit silly. And in case anyone's wondering which pond I was referring to, it's the one out back full of tadpoles and green gummy stuff.

Welcome to the forum, Maggie. What do you like to read? :lol:

For fiction, I enjoy Jodi Picoult, Joanna Trollope, Elizabeth Buchan, Lee Child (oops, how'd he get in among the women's fiction??), Jeanne Ray, Mil Millington, John LeCarre, Elizabeth Berg (may as well mix 'em all up, just to keep it interesting), Frederic Forsyth, Ken Follett ... and Mo Willems, an incredibly funny American writer of kids' books

My non-fiction tastes run to 20-century history (especially WWII and the BoB), aviation, U.S. politics, espionage (think Bletchley Park, Enigma, the Cambridge Spies), biography, anything to do with Edward R. Murrow

... and specifically, I've recently enjoyed The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, and Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems

Ooh, I have this on my to be read pile. What did you enjoy about it? Without giving too much away :lol:

What did I enjoy about Water for Elephants? EVERYTHING, not least of which, the author is a friend and we emailed frequently as she was writing this novel. At one point she sequestered herself in a closet to get away from her three small boys and numerous pets in order to finish it.

I read it first in manuscript, then as a finished book, and I just got through listening to it on CD. It's gritty and a little dark, but never depressing. When I first heard about the story from Sara, I wasn't sure I'd be interested in reading it. A circus? In the Depression? And if we hadn't been friends, I might have given it a miss, but I'm glad I didn't. It's a remarkable story, well-written with likable, believable characters, and a realistic slice of history to boot.

I recommend it highly.

Love Bill Bryson, Maggie! I've only read his Lost Continent book but I laughed all the way through. I definitely need to check out the rest.

I've read them all. His collection of newspaper articles that were pulled into a book, I'm a Stranger Here Myself, had me howling. So did Notes from a Small Island, and his Walk in the Woods got me all fired up to hike the Appalachian Trail. Luckily, my enthusiasm didn't last long. I'd never survive in the wild without an electric fan and my memory-foam mattress.

and his Walk in the Woods got me all fired up to hike the Appalachian Trail.

I had the same reaction. :lol: I'm a big fan of Bill Bryson.

I'm interested in reading Water for Elephants. I've read many good things about. :D