Women's Fiction / Chick Lit

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I haven't seen anything objectionable about most of the so-called "chick lit" covers...I'm sitting here staring at "Undomestic Goddess"...just a yellow jacket, the title and authors name in blue, and a cartoon briefcase with cooking utencils sticking out...

Most of the chick-lit covers seem to trend toward cartoons... Now, if they were like the historical romance covers, I'd worry a bit...

• 2 months later...

Louise wrote

BBC 4 9pm tomorrow a history of chick lit.

Just watched this and enjoyed it. Interviews with Sophie Kinsella, Katie Fforde, Marian Keyes, Jilly Cooper to name but a few. What really pleased me was that Jane Austen and teh Bronte sisters were right up there at the top :)

Louise wrote

BBC 4 9pm tomorrow a history of chick lit.

Just watched this and enjoyed it. Interviews with Sophie Kinsella, Katie Fforde, Marian Keyes, Jilly Cooper to name but a few. What really pleased me was that Jane Austen and teh Bronte sisters were right up there at the top :D

:) Missed :cry: it :badmood: forgot :grr:

Wabbit xx :roll:

• 4 months later...

I thought I'd add Carole Matthews to this discussion, as she's had quite a few books published each in both the UK and the US.

I read With or Without You a while back, which I enjoyed.. it had a decent storyline, and some good humour. I've just started A Whiff of Scandal, and that's also good.. one chapter in particular had me laughing last night!

Has anyone else tried her? If not, I'd really recommend her. :readingtwo:

I'm never sure what is classed as Chick Lit, but Ive read The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella & really enjoyed it - it was light-hearted & fun.

I'm not sure either. One of Anne Perry's series is about a Thomas Pitt but several females (related by marriage or birth) are strong characters. Also, she describes women's clothing in maybe too much detail and not just to set the Victorian period. This was bothersome at first but now I'm thinking it does help to paint a picture and I've gone back to read more.

Hello...

I really enjoy the shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, the next installment comes out in two weeks. I have read other Sophie Kinsella books as well, 'Can you keep a secret', etc, I also like Marian Keyes, I have a few of her books now, I really enjoyed 'The other side of the story', Lisa Jewell, my favourite book being 'Ralph's Party'. I have only read one Sheila O'Flanagan book and that was 'Isobel's Wedding'.

:readingtwo:

'The Undomestic Goddess' was hilarious, I also recently discovered Sharon Owens (there was a pack of two of her books for sale in Asda), which were 'The Teahouse on Mulberry Street' and 'The Ballroom on Magnolia Street'.

Both of them were good reads, chick literature at their best, I think I would invest in some more of her books.

:readingtwo:

• 2 weeks later...

Two of my favourite authors for quite a while now have been Fiona Walker and Jill Mansell. Many a time have I had a strange look from my husband when they make me laugh out loud.

I have to say that I have probably read most if not all the books mentioned on here as I am such a fan of Chick Lit book and if you saw the collection I have (three huge boxes in the loft one downstairs in my study!) you would understand why my husband keeps asking me not to buy any more!!! :friends0:

I thought I'd add Carole Matthews to this discussion, as she's had quite a few books published each in both the UK and the US.

I read With or Without You a while back, which I enjoyed.. it had a decent storyline, and some good humour. I've just started A Whiff of Scandal, and that's also good.. one chapter in particular had me laughing last night!

Has anyone else tried her? If not, I'd really recommend her. :friends0:

I finished reading "You Drive Me Crazy" by Carole Matthews not long ago and can highly recommend it.

I really like Katie Fforde. I do find that each book follows a similar formula so I don't read them one after the other, but when I need cheering up she never lets me down.

I also like Jennifer Crusie, I'm enjoying Welcome to Temptation at the moment. Some of her books are a bit saucy, but a bit of sauce never hurt anybody!!! :D

• 3 months later...

This thread hasn't been posted in since February, so I hope you don't mind me bringing it up again and if you do I'm really sorry.

I have to admit I love Chick Lit and I'm going through a bit of a phase just now. I do have to read other genre's in between though for a bit of a change, but I find chick lit really easy and lighthearted and find them great to read after a stressful day at work when you want something that flows easily without you having to think about things too much.

Some of my favourite chick lit authors are (in no particular order) - Jane Green, Melissa Hill, Cathy Kelly (didn't think much of her last one though), Sophie Kinsella, Carole Matthews (loved her latest The Chocolate Lovers' Club), Sheila O'Flanagan, Tina Reilly, Sarah Webb, Louise Bagshawe (her books are bit hit and miss though with some being better than others) and probably loads of others that I haven't mentioned.

After reading through this thread I see a few of you like Marian Keyes. I'm sort of on the fence with her books. I've only read a couple and although I thought they were okay, I didn't think they were that great.

Another book I loved, which isn't so much chick lit but more just general women's fiction is Pebble Cove by Mairead O'Driscoll. I was lucky enough to 'win' a copy at the beginning of the year and I absolutely loved it. Some of the girls who also got hold of a copy on another forum I'm a member of had mixed reactions to it because part of it is set in a neonatal intensive care unit and it does get a bit medical in some parts, but I personally thought it was a great read. Would definitely recommend it.

I really like Katie Fforde. I do find that each book follows a similar formula so I don't read them one after the other, but when I need cheering up she never lets me down.

I also like Jennifer Crusie, I'm enjoying Welcome to Temptation at the moment. Some of her books are a bit saucy, but a bit of sauce never hurt anybody!!! :lol:

I recently bought a Katie Fforde book Mrstre following your recommendation, so thank you, it was called 'Highland Fling':D:D