Women's Fiction / Chick Lit

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maureen mentioned Marian Keyes and I would agree. I haven't read much chick lit for a while (i've been having a crime phase) but I would be happy to pick up another by her.

How about Pauline McLynn? Her "Woman on the Bus" is a great book.

Guest jake

I've gone mad the last few days reading nothing but chick lit! I loved Bergdorf Blondes and am loving (and almost finished) The Nanny Diaries.

However I got a pile of 'gorefest' today, so it'll be service as normal soon :lol:

I really enjoyed reading Patricia Scanlan books for a while, was always at the library.

The best I thought was Mirror Mirror and Promises Promises as they follow on from each other. Only problem was that it took me two weeks to get my hands on the second one cause it was always out.

I also enjoyed some Jill Mansell books too, although you can normally guess what going to happen at the end which put me off a bit.

Just finished, "Seven Sunny Days". Thanks, Michelle! :D

I enjoyed the book. Chris Manby is getting really good at characterization. I do wish she'd been able to give us more setting, though. In my mind, it was set at your generic beach resort, and I couldn't really "see" Turkey.

I liked the fact that the characters weren't your typcial "ditzy" girls acting in a capricious, ditzy way.

I liked how, with each character, there was great motivation for acting how they did, except for Sally, she was just a %itch-on-wheels and didn't deserve the happy ending she got. :D

If I had to rate it on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it an 8. It's a great, light summer read, but not exactly a keeper.

But I'm keeping this copy b/c it was a birthday present!

Did Seven Sunny Days start off with two of the girls planting something unmentionable on this board in the luggage of one of the girls so that it got found by customs? The title rings a bell, but I'm not sure whether I've read it or not!

Yes, it did! :D Very funny scene, but horribly, horribly embarrassing...

When my daughter and her dh arrived in the Dominican Republic for their honeymoon, they were chosen for random bag inspections...and some "toys" were found. DD wanted a hole to open up in the floor and swallow her.

Yes, I know waaaay too much, but she thinks nothing of sharing TMI stuff with her mom! :oops:

I am not quite sure this fits the topic category but I like books by Dorothea Benton Frank, i call her books "Beach Reads". They are enjoyable and easy to read, nothing heavy.....and btw, I am a male. :D

Apparently there's a whole genre that's now called "Lad Lit" (or sometimes D*ck Lit - LOL!). I've recently read I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan which is, apparently, classed as Lad Lit & I loved it... & btw, i'm a female - LOL! :D I think that these books have a wide appeal - they're easy to pick up & get into & usually filled with characters to whom we can easily relate which makes them all the more engaging. They're often humorous, which is very attractive in a light read, & although some of them have a "deeper" meaning, you don't have to tax your brain in order to get whatever it is the author's trying to say.

Apparently there's a whole genre that's now called "Lad Lit" (or sometimes D*ck Lit - LOL!). I've recently read I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan which is, apparently, classed as Lad Lit & I loved it... & btw, i'm a female - LOL! :D I think that these books have a wide appeal - they're easy to pick up & get into & usually filled with characters to whom we can easily relate which makes them all the more engaging. They're often humorous, which is very attractive in a light read, & although some of them have a "deeper" meaning, you don't have to tax your brain in order to get whatever it is the author's trying to say.

One of the men on our forum swears by Mike Gayle - he calls them lads-lit!