Women's Fiction / Chick Lit

Which authors do you like who come under this type of genre?

I read a book by Cathy Kelly a while ago, and really enjoyed it, and I'm trying another of hers at the moment. I find that they're sometimes a little slow, but then I'm used to horrors and thriller alot of the time, so they would feel a little different to me.

I like a decent storyline, preferably with something a little unusual, and I don't always want a perfectly happy ending. Has anyone found any books like that, that I might enjoy?

I know we have a few members who like Sophie Kinsella - does she come under this genre? Are hers always humorous books?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read all but one of Cathy Kelley's and that one is waiting to be read.

I agree about Cecelia Ahern - I've just Where Rainbows End from the library this morning :lol:

I would also add Catherine Alliott, Maeve Binchy and Penny Vincenzi. Not to mention Rowan Coleman (The Accidental Mother)

I'm never sure what is classed as Chick Lit, but Ive read The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella & really enjoyed it - it was light-hearted & fun.

Oh, I have a favorite here. Altho you almost have to be from the Southern USA to truly appreciate her books.

Haywood Smith The Red Hat Club and The Red Hat Club Rides Again

I just can't wait to see what the next one reads like...they are the most enjoyable books.

You see, I'm a RedHatter and altho her books are NOT sanctioned by the Red Hat Society, they are a good read and very true to the South. Liz

I like Deborah Wright's books. "Under My Spell" is my favourite.

Synopsis: Cara is 25 years old and beautiful, intelligent and kind. She's also a witch. Unsure of her feelings towards magic and desperate to escape the clutches of her overbearing mother, she takes a 'proper' job as a nanny for the Wilkins family. But things don't go quite as she has planned. Cara moves in to the Wilkins' home and before long the whole family come to rely on her as a source of fun and excitement in their lives. But Nick and Andie Wilkins' marriage is falling apart so Cara sets about trying to reconcile them. When her benign attempts to fix things result in Nick flirting with her and Andie contemplating an affair, Cara can't resist any longer. She resorts to the magic she's been trying so hard to give up and soon the whole house is in uproar ...

Ahh, yes, I've met the divine Ms. H...she's actually a dear friend! Sadly, she's now a displaced Belle, living in--horrors!! The belt buckle of yankeedom--Boston! :lol: I'll get to see her in a few weeks, though.

Favorite WF authors...well, Haywood, obviously, but I have several others I like, as well.

Deborah Smith

Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jill Marie Landis

Jennifer Cruisie

Patricia Gaffney

Vicki Lewis Thompson

are a few that come to mind just now.

For me, endings don't necessarily *have* to be happy...just satisfying. If I can finish the book and feel like I've just sat through a movie, then I consider it well written. When the characters, the setting and the plot just leap off the page at me, yeah, that's what I like. :lol:

I'm in the middle of reading "Undomestic Goddess" right now, and finding it a bit slow-going. So far, it's had its funny moments, but I'm having a bit of trouble suspending my disbelief that a lawyer could just happen to stumble upon probably the stupidest, blindest rich couple in the country...and is able to convince them she's a Cordon Bleu chef.

I'll keep reading, then let you know my final verdict. :)

Guest jake

It's a genre I came across by chance in that a friend gave me one of Kinsella's 'Shopaholic' books. It was a light fluffy read and I enjoyed it. In fact I've got another 'Shopaholic' on my TBR shelf and have just bought Bergdof Blondes and The Nanny Diaries from Amazon.

Angel, I see mixed reviews for Cathy Kelly on Amazon, so which of hers do you recommend? I've read Just Between Us, which I really liked. And right now I'm reading Someone Like You, which, although quite good, is a little slow for me.

Sassenach, Under My Spell looks like one to look out for.

Can anyone recommend anything that has a really interesting storyline.. something out of the ordinary?

I'm just starting the 4th book in a series by Vicki Lewis Thompson..."Talk Nerdy To Me".

The first book, "Nerd In Shining Armor" was a real departure from the usual romantic comedies that have been out on the market.

The heroine is Tennesse hillbilly living in Hawaii. The hero is the computer nerd who works in her office.

The two of them get stranded on a deserted island after their small plane is hijacked. Her "live off the land" skills help them to not only survive, but they manage to have a pretty good time playing Robinson Carusoe until they're rescued.

In this newest installment, the heroine is a nerdy inventor who accidentally blows up her home lab and is "rescued" by a Harley-riding engineer, even though she insists she does NOT need rescuing.

Hubby just finished reading it...yes, he LOVES women's fiction b/c he says it helps him understand the female mind a little better! LOL!...and he said it was a great read from start to finish.

It's a genre I came across by chance in that a friend gave me one of Kinsella's 'Shopaholic' books. It was a light fluffy read and I enjoyed it. In fact I've got another 'Shopaholic' on my TBR shelf and have just bought Bergdof Blondes and The Nanny Diaries from Amazon.

I played 'live bookswap' last night on another site and won 'Shopaholic ties the knot'. I've never read one chick lit book I don't think so I'm keen to give it a go. I've heard this one's good :lol:

I'm only on page 60, but at the moment, I'm finding the writing style rather patronising. I normally really enjoy her books though, so I'll stick with it. I don't want to put you off, so I'll post a proper review when I've finished it (or comment if there is already a thread about it). I don't want to judge it badly after so few pages! :lol:

We're going to discuss it on another forum I visit (a Neighbours one, not a book one!) so I've got to finish it before 30 June!