Non Fiction

I read MOSTLY non-fiction, with the occasional novel to lighten things up in between. I prefer biographies (mostly about literary figures), English & French history, anything to do with writing and books, exploration history, the paranormal, letter/diary collections, travel and gardening.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't often read non fiction but I am nearing the completion of History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell. its not a book you can read in a hurry. there is so much detail you can see that he knows his subject.

hi Bookjumper, yes I am. its like the history of the world. BR starts way back with the Egyptian and Greek philosophers and comes right up to the 20th century. I'm currently up to Hegel so there are a few more to go. he goes into such detail. it shows that he knows his subject. its going to be one of those books you have to keep going back to because there'll always be more information there that you missed.

• 1 month later...

I read a lot of non-fiction, to acquire new hobby related skills, film, theatre and writing books (academic mostly), and for fun too.

I like non-fiction that informs and entertains (but not always politically unbiased. I love Michael Moores books (and films), Culture of Fear by Barry Glassner, Naomi Klein's No Logo. Books like these make me be interested in the world, rather than wanting to escape into a novel.

Before his work was questioned on the grounds of its validity, Joseph Ellis wrote history in an engaging way. His books reminded me of the historical fiction of Gore Vidal. I do like Bob Woodward's style of writing, which reconstructs detail, after minute detail of every meeting. You feel as if you are right there with the president. Veil and of course, All The President's Men are his best works.

Having been on a number of book forums, I am of the opinion that a lot of bibliophiles are too quick to discount non-fiction and instead, tend to stick with boutique fiction.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here.

I read ZEITOUN a few months ago. It's a true story about Zeitoun family and what they went through during hurricane Katrina.

It's one of those book that stays with you for days after you finish.

• 3 months later...

99% of what I read is non fiction..I love 'wacky' non fiction it started with books on occultism magic spirituality. Now I'm reading books on madness and society. There is so much strangeness out there in the world I just don't feel compelled to look for it in a work of fiction. I would rather try my own hand at say magic then read a harry potter book for example. I probably should read fiction more, but i like the idea of writing weird essays and referencing all that I have read and come to understand.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have long been a lover of trivia, so naturally I tend towards non-fiction, especially philosophical works. I have, however, found myself having more of a propinquity towards fiction. Perhaps it is because I have recently begun to more acknowledge and understand the philosophical underpinnings of much of what I read.

• 6 months later...

When I was younger I like reading fiction especially love stories,:D, well girls stuff, mystery. Now though that doesn't interest me so much. I like reading autobiographies, self help books, inspirational stories, other books that uplift my humanity. Historical books like Roots, (to me they're more history) appealed much to me. I like non fiction because I know they say the real things, real life, real people, unlike non fiction although they're based on people and events but weaved in the mind of the writer.

• 1 month later...

In what way are you finding that it isn't user-friendly here - perhaps we can help? :)

ETA: I presume you're referring to the fact the post about the book was deleted? Unfortunately it was against our rules about linking which was the reason the post went, that's all. :)

Edited by Janet

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here.

I read ZEITOUN a few months ago. It's a true story about Zeitoun family and what they went through during hurricane Katrina.

It's one of those book that stays with you for days after you finish.

I have this on my tbr list :) I used to read almost exclusively fiction, but I've been trying a lot more non-fiction these days.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I read both fiction and non-fiction in equal proportions. Most of my non-fiction reading consists of autobiographies, biographies, source/reference books, and those that relate to my hobbies and interests.