Film Tie-In Book Covers

Michelle

Of the few books I've read that have been made into a film I generally prefer the books. I am desperate to see The time travellers wife. I finished the book a couple of months ago, I know it was in the cinema as my sister went to see it but I've visited blockbuster frequently and it's not on dvd yet...whats taking so long!? I have a feeling I will prefer the film this time.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with those above who suggested Psycho and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Others from my "Have Read" list:

African Queen

I enjoyed Forester's book but the movie was a classic.

Black Hawk Down

Bowden's book was good, but a properly done war movie, complete with lots of blood and guts, can bring home the horror of combat.

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Another engaging movie. Not so much the book by Capote.

The Postman

by David Brin. Costner was great in this role, as usual.

And of course:

All of the original James Bond books by Fleming are good reads to be sure. However, the movies (Sean Connery only please) are some of my guilty pleasures.

dan :lol:

As I proof read my post, I realized that with the exception of Black Hawk Down, all of my suggestions were based, at least in part, on stellar performances by stellar actors. Perhaps such performances are what turn these movies into our favorites.

dan ;)

Edited by purple95

Okay, first attempt at using the multi-quote button, never been at any forum that has it, very handy.

Angels and Demons was a terrible film, but almost infinitely better than the book...

Haven't read the book, saw the film, didn't love it. A while back I started on The DaVinci Code though, to see if it was really "all that". Such a hype about a book that I couldn't get into. Didn't like the film that much, but the book, well think I got up to 100 pages. Boring, the style it was written in just got me thinking the author had a list of all the facts he wanted to shove into the book, losing all sight of the story-line. No Dan Brown books for me anymore, thanks.

Lord of the Rings. I've tried to read it several times and could never get into it.

Have read the Fellowship of the Ring. Struggled through it years ago, have all three books in Dutch but don't think I will ever finish them, might buy them again in English, as I often feel so much gets lost in (even the best) translation. These days my English is good enough for it. Loved the films though, they're amongst my favourite films.

The Road is as good as the book.

Haven't see the film. The trailer didn't excite me. The book.. well I adore post-apocalyptic books, but I just didn't see what was so special about this one. Very grim, and though I finished it, that was mainly because it wasn't a very lengthy book.It wasn't horrible, but can't say I enjoyed it very much.

I was going to say I have to stick with what a t-shirt I saw once said, "Movies ruining books since 1920," however, one movie-book adaptation really sticks out for me. I know I may be tarred and feathered for saying this, but Pride and Prejudice I couldn't even finish the book. Hands down every adaptation of the movie is better than the book. Sorry I had to be the messenger...if you must shoot...go ahead.

I will probably sit down someday and read the book all the way through. For now I'll stick with the films. :friends0:

I know I may be tarred and feathered for saying this, but Pride and Prejudice I couldn't even finish the book. Hands down every adaptation of the movie is better than the book. Sorry I had to be the messenger...if you must shoot...go ahead.
No tar and feathers or guns are about my person at this time; however, I beg to differ :D.

The BBC's Pride and Prejudice miniseries is magnificent, which is unsurprising considering the spot-on casting and the fact that the script was more or less lifted bodily from the dialogue in the book; but as for the others: much as I love Laurence Olivier as Hamlet and Henry V, he is just wrong for Mr. Darcy, not to mention the liberties that film took with plotline and costumes; as for the Keira Knightley version, I refused to watch it as I loathe her, but I've been told my my Austenite family and friends that it's appalling, and I can easily believe it hearing the things they left out and the ones they put in.

Maybe the book is not for everyone, and quite possibly one needs to be in a certain frame of mind to fully engage with it; however, I cannot understand how one can claim it's a bad book :friends0: it's well-written and the characters are sympathetic, what more could one want?

I completely agree with you BJ. I've been watching the BBC adaptation over the last few days and it's absolutely wonderful, but I love it so much because it's so true to the book. The only other adaptation of it I can stomach is the Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson film, which you're right, does take a lot of liberties with some parts of the story, but I remember watching it as a child before I even knew about Jane Austen or her books and have fond memories of laughing at the absurdities of Mrs Bennett, the silliness of Lydia and Kitty, and the toe curling obsequious Mr Collins. It did lead me to read the book as a teenager, and a love of Austen grew from there. However, I have watched exactly six minutes of the Keira Knightly version before I could bear it no more and had to turn it off.

Although I don't think P&P is Austen at her best, I think the BBC series and the book are on a par for me, so I think we'll have to agree to disagree with you, Lit_Driven_Girl, but you'll find no tar and feathers on this forum - we're much too friendly :friends0:

No tar and feathers or guns are about my person at this time; however, I beg to differ :D.

The BBC's Pride and Prejudice miniseries is magnificent, which is unsurprising considering the spot-on casting and the fact that the script was more or less lifted bodily from the dialogue in the book; but as for the others: much as I love Laurence Olivier as Hamlet and Henry V, he is just wrong for Mr. Darcy, not to mention the liberties that film took with plotline and costumes; as for the Keira Knightley version, I refused to watch it as I loathe her, but I've been told my my Austenite family and friends that it's appalling, and I can easily believe it hearing the things they left out and the ones they put in.

Maybe the book is not for everyone, and quite possibly one needs to be in a certain frame of mind to fully engage with it; however, I cannot understand how one can claim it's a bad book :friends0: it's well-written and the characters are sympathetic, what more could one want?

I had completely forgotten about the Laurence Olivier version. Talk about not following the book. I felt they made Darcy a lovable character from the beginning...instead of easing you into it.

I can't say that I adore Knightley as Lizzie, but I did like the movie. Mostly because of other characters, not her, though.

I promise to give the book a second chance. It is on my 25 books to read before I'm 25 list, so one way or another I'll read it.

Although I don't think P&P is Austen at her best
Neither do I (my favourite, by far, is Persuasion; the 1997 BBC adaptation of that is also beautiful if you've never seen it) :friends0: I just don't think P&P can be defined as a bad book.

I promise to give the book a second chance. It is on my 25 books to read before I'm 25 list, so one way or another I'll read it.
Good to hear, I hope your second experience impresses you more favourably :D!

I adore the BBC adaptation of Persuasion, probably even more than P&P, but you're right that P&P shouldn't be described as a bad book, but you do have to have an inclination to invest in the period and writing style to appreciate it, especially if you've never read any classic literature.

My favourite Austen in Northanger Abbey, but I personally think Mansfield Park is her best piece of writing, however, I've only seen one adaptation of Mansfield Park (which was okay but mediocre) and none of Northanger Abbey.

Am I the only one who absolutely loved the Keira Knightley version?

Someone else must have liked it, it did pretty well at the box office I believe.

For me however, it ends before it's had a chance to begin: I don't think Keira Knightley's a good actress, and her sharp, harsh features are not suited to the headstrong but essentially sweet and good Lizzie Bennet.

Knightley does manage to fairly successfully portray the playful petulance and sarcasm which makes up a small part of Lizzie's character, but then Knightley pouts with the best of 'em.

None of the tv adaptations or films quite live up to Austen's novels for me, although I've seen every one I can find. Whenever I see one, I think, "Austen would have phrased that speech in this way..." and, "but Austen imagined it that way..."

I read Pride and Prejudice last year in order to watch the BBC version which I hadn't seen before, and which was *fabulous*. I must admit I struggled with the book to begin with as I found it quite slow going, and also I really wanted to slap Lizzie ( :kissing: ), but after the Netherfield Ball I suddenly got hooked!

I haven't seen the Keira Knightley version, but I believe they messed around with the story so I guess that's no great loss!

I'm ashamed to say that the closest I've got to Emma is Clueless :kissing:; even so wanting to slap her makes more sense than wanting to slap Lizzie, I was trying to think whatever the poor girl had done to deserve such vehemence and drew up a blank!

I must admit I quite like Paltrow's version of Emma :kissing:, and I loved Clueless. I even remember seeing the actor who played Cher's friend Christian on the Santa Monica Pier one night while I was out in CA. We were walking through the parking lot to the Cirque du Soleil bigtop and there he was! Mind you, I have never read Austen's Emma.

The only film that comes to mind for me right now that I liked better than the book was Stand By Me, but not because the book was bad. The book was a short story and I just thought the film did an excellent job of elaborating and making it a more developed piece of art :).