The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Kell

The responses to this book are very interesting.... I keep picking it up at the book store and then putting it back down. I am not sure why I am hesitant to buy it. I have never read Dracula. It sounds like I probably should before reading The Historian.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't read Dracula either Molly - maybe I would have enjoyed the middle part of The Historian more if I had done:lol: Actually, I doubt I would have bothered with it, if I hadn't spotted it for a pound in a charity shop (in excellent condition too).

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly? I've never read Dracula either and normally don't read any books to do with vampires, but I still really, really enjoyed this book - despite the fact that it is not an action book!

The responses to this book are very interesting.... I keep picking it up at the book store and then putting it back down. I am not sure why I am hesitant to buy it. I have never read Dracula. It sounds like I probably should before reading The Historian.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I absolutely loved this book and it was a great companion to me when I was off work with a broken ankle last year:irked:. I love books about dusty tomes and rummaging through libraries, it all adds to the atmospheric nature of the book. Admittedly I did find it a bit slow in parts but I was in no hurry and somehow it all built up to the tension but I found the work ultimately a very satisfying read. I don't know if Elisabeth Kostova has anything knew in the offing but I shall look out for her stuff.

Love

• 5 weeks later...

I am slowly but surely working my way through this book. :D Sometimes my work days are long so at night I just don't have the stamina to concentrate on it. I hate to read something if I know I'm not paying attention, because obviously with this book paying attention is very important! I'm enjoying it very much thus far though, and this is my first vampire novel as well.

• 2 months later...

I read this about a year ago and can remember it being good (I can't remember if I gave it away actually, I remember thinking I probably wouldn't read it again, but actually I want to read Dracula then I might want to read it again). It made me want to visit all the places as well, especially Budapest. Only downside was I kept reading it before bed and having weird/bad dreams, but somehow couldn't stop myself reading it before bed

I also read this last year and it was definitely a good read- it was a little confusing at the beginning but once I got the writer's style it was much smoother sailing

This wasn't a bad book, but it was not one of my favorites either. I thought it a tad too long and slightly boring in places. However, it's worth being read at least once. I'm also rather glad that I'd read Bram Stoker's Dracula before The Historian, as it not only serves for great reference, but I think also takes precedence.

I did buy this at one point, but I think I read so many reviews saying it was very scary that I ended up giving it to the Oxfam bookshop - basically I'm a scaredy cat :D

Well I don't like scary books but I did like this one. Despite it giving me nightmares! Maybe if you're just wiser than me and don't read in in bed before sleeping :D

Think I'm going to read Dracula next. My sister has a copy I can borrow, it was one of her degree texts. We even went to Whitby the year she was studying it

whitby is a gorgeous place :roll: i visit most summers, they have a goth festival every april and october as well, which i plan to go to some day..

Yes I remember it being nice. It was a good few years ago, and we only visited for a day, barely saw more than the Abbey (and counted the steps) but I remember it was a lovely place. I wouldn't mind visiting again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all-and very nice to meet you.

I was reading Dracula regularly in our school library along with a audio version-the first time i tried this. I thoroughly recommend it for classics. It took me 88 days to get through the whole novel, 10 minutes at a time.

Now I've moved onto The Historian... and it's a fantastic read. Dracula definitely helps.

• 1 month later...

I am very, very late to find this thread, but since The Historian is one of the few books you guys mention on the forum that I have also read, I will give my opinion. :irked:

I remember before buying this book on a whim, my boyfriend once mentioned it to me saying that it was very long and drawn out and he didn't like it at first but later changed his mind. Also, I was very surprised when I discovered what the book was actually about. Anne Rice was my introduction to vampire novels, and the Historian is very far removed from Rice's romantic vampire world. I was pleasantly surprised as The Historian did actually manage to scare me, draw me into the characters' struggle and adventures and weave a very captivating story all at once. In short, I adored this novel. I read Dracula afterwards and found it just a little bit boring, to be honest.

I am very, very late to find this thread, but since The Historian is one of the few books you guys mention on the forum that I have also read, I will give my opinion. :)

I remember before buying this book on a whim, my boyfriend once mentioned it to me saying that it was very long and drawn out and he didn't like it at first but later changed his mind. Also, I was very surprised when I discovered what the book was actually about. Anne Rice was my introduction to vampire novels, and the Historian is very far removed from Rice's romantic vampire world. I was pleasantly surprised as The Historian did actually manage to scare me, draw me into the characters' struggle and adventures and weave a very captivating story all at once. In short, I adored this novel. I read Dracula afterwards and found it just a little bit boring, to be honest.

I, too, adored this novel. This is another book in my All-Time-Favourites! I keep pushing this book onto all and sundry. I should be locked up. I'm not safe out there...:irked:

• 2 weeks later...
I've just started this book, in fact I'm about 120 pages in and I like it so far, plenty going on in it to keep me interested. :smile2:

Great, Charm!! I hope you like it - let us know what you think :irked:.