The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Kell

Okay, so I was right in saying that Helen is a descendant of Vlad's, but that doesn't actually help explain why these other people are getting books. Two men involved with two generations of the same family, both the chosen ones for the dragon tattoo, received books which led them to meeting those women... is that relevant? And what happens to Helen? I'm guessing Helen must be the narrator's mother? She's missing, presumed dead, and then suddenly the dad goes running off looking for the mother? Who seems to be a pump-wearing vampire in Brussels? Still doesn't explain the other two men who got books. I also never noticed that the narrator isn't named, until I tried just now to recall her name :readingtwo:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also never noticed that the narrator isn't named, until I tried just now to recall her name :readingtwo:

I thought my mind was playing tricks on me or that I perhaps missed it, but you're right and I noticed it, too... I can't recall if it's mentioned later on... hmm... *thinks*

Well, I had to stay up til 5am but I did it - I read the final 314 pages today. I have a LOAD of thoughts in my head right now, but I'm too tired and need to sleep. I'll come back here tomorrow and unleash an opinionated post of BLUE SPOILER TAG-NESS.

Well, I had to stay up til 5am but I did it - I read the final 314 pages today. I have a LOAD of thoughts in my head right now, but I'm too tired and need to sleep. I'll come back here tomorrow and unleash an opinionated post of BLUE SPOILER TAG-NESS.

I think that's some sort of olympic record, Roxi, reading that big of a book in that short a time! Can't wait to read your review ;).

Hah! I'm going to work on this review a little later today I think. General gist is: fantastic book, flawless work, a pure gem for anyone like me who loves reading about history with a twist. I'm undecided on a couple of choices the author clearly had to make which influenced the tone overall significantly - I think she did what was best, but it was slightly disappointing. I think it's one of those things that grows on you. No, it's not full of Stephanie Meyer happy-land idealism, but that is what, I think, gives it it's class.

Edited by Nollaig

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason I've bought this book was because it was in Kinokunia's "Gems of the month" list. I've read the first few pages and decided to buy it. So far i've read about ten chapters and loved it so far. Too bad i'm busy lately,so not much time to read :friends0: But it sure does looks promising !

It's very good. The only thing I would say about it, is the ride is more fun than the destination. The end feels like a bit of a let down, but when you think it through, it's actually quite well done in accordance with the style of the book. But it's definately the actual journey of discovery that makes this book a gem.

• 3 months later...

I am currently reading the Historian. I am an avid, though slow reader so I am reading it like crazy and am only slightly over half done. Despite this I am so intrigued by the story! I've been steadfastly against the current vampire hype revolving around the sickening Twilight series, yet I find myself fascinated by this story of Vlad Dracula.

My dad is reading this right now and he keeps recommending it to me. I keep having to remind him that I read it last summer! I even showed him my review! Yeah, he's getting a little old. At least he's enjoying it. :blush:

• 4 weeks later...
I read the Historian earlier this year and absolutely loved it, there was a slump in pace in the middle part of the book but the last quarters pace and tension completely made up for it.

Can't wait for her next novel.

That's what I thought. Loved the first and third parts, but the second part dragged a bit.

JudyB, I actually got a readers copy of the Swan Thief last week. Our shoppe buyer went to a bookstore conference and brought it back. I was able to keep it. Cant wait to delve into it.

ooh you'll have to let us know if it's as good