A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber

a-good-yarn.jpeg

Synopsis from Amazon:

This is another heart-warming tale of friendship from the bestselling author of "Thursdays at Eight". When times are tough, confiding in friends can change your life. Cancer survivor Lydia's business is thriving but her dream-man's ex is threatening their relationship...Retired, self-contained Elise has lost everything and lives with her daughter, but still has disturbingly strong feelings for her gambling ex-husband. Nervous Bethanne is an unwilling divorcee whose husband left her and their children for a younger woman. She urgently needs a job, but has she the confidence to find one? Lonely teenager, Courtney, feels abandoned too. Grieving over her mother's death, she has put on weight and dreads starting a new school. This uplifting, heart-warming story proves that however bleak the future may look, the importance of friendship should never be underestimated.

This is the second book in Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series. I enjoyed this book as much as I enjoyed the others in the series. They are light, heart-warming books that I think are worth reading, and definitely good if you want a quick, easy read.

Again, the main character is Lydia Hoffman, the owner of the knitting shop, A Good Yarn. The story revolves around her, the shop, and the knitting class she starts. This time, it is socks. This class draws in three new customers - Elise, who is worried because her ex-husband who she still loves is back in town; Bethanne, a divorcee who is struggling with adjusting to single life, and desperately needs a job; and Courtney, a teenager new to Seattle, who has put on a lot of weight since the death of her mother and is about to start senior year, not knowing anyone. We watch as they grow in confidence, make friends, and resolve issues in their lives.

This is a good book. It is light, full of knitting, love, friendship and happiness. It is fairly predictable, but that does not spoil the book. I was engaged with this book, and didn't want to put it down. I really like how Macomber writes, she is easy to connect with and fun to read.

I enjoyed all the characters - I loved the knitters and hated those who were horrible, including Grant, Bethanne's mean ex-husband. I think Courtney was my favourite. She shows determination to get her life straightened out, and she is a good friend to all of them. I also liked how the characters from the first book, especially Jacqueline and Alix, were written into to this book, to keep the continuum going.

This is just an enjoyable book.

8/10