Baldacci, Child & Coben; Any thoughts?

Mac

• 2 months later...

I never read Coben books but I love Jack Reacher stories. However, I am retired from law enforcement and I have found there are many inaccuracies in both these and baldacci novels regarding weaponry, tactics and unarmed combat. However, I still love these novels and will continue reading them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've read the first five or so of Lee Child's Reacher books and really enjoyed those especially the Killing Floor, after those I wanted to mix it up a bit and find another main character so read a couple Michael Connolly ones that I also liked a lot (A couple of the Michael Haller ones and The Scarecrow). And recently I have read David Baldacci's True Blue (started well but ended poorly) and The Winner which I loved. I have been hearing a lot of praise for Harlan Coben so I figured I would try a couple of his books next. Any suggestions on whether to start with his stand alone books or dive into the series he does?

• 2 weeks later...

Have started on this. The characters are very likeable, and it is quite flowing up to now......

I'm a big Baldacci, Harlan Coben and Lee Child fan and like many authors, find the early books a real treat. If you haven't already read the following, then worth doing so:

The Winner and Absolute Power - David Baldacci

Tell No-One - Harlan Coben

He he! ME TOO!!!

I have yet to read one of his that I didn't absolutely love! & Reacher, now that is a MAN!

Haven't readany of the other 2 you mentioned, though.

Hi Heather, Not sure how old this post is, but hey ho.. Because as you probably know there is the latest Reacher book out in this month, September, THE AFFAIR. I have read all of Lee Childs novels now. Started with KILLING FLOOR when it first came out in paperback. Met him once, at at a book signing in London, very pleasant man, put me at my ease.

You may also like the Robert Crais books, particularly THE JOE PIKE standalones. Joe is a loner, like Reacher. Althoug he does partner Elvis Cole, Private Detective, when the going gets rough.

Good reading.

Dave

Have started on this. The characters are very likeable, and it is quite flowing up to now......

As I told Poppy, you will laugh, cry, feel sad, get angry, and be happy while reading the book. I promise!

I just finished Baldacci's latest book...'One Summer". It is completely different than most of his writings. It had your emotions on a high scale during almost all of the book.

I am now reading "Divine Justice", one of the Camel Club series of his. Probably my favorites, except for Wish You Well.

• 1 month later...

I really like the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child, and I really enjoyed 61 hours and worth dying for. I really liked the idea of turning them into films until I found out that they cast Tom Cruise in the role of Jack Reacher! I then tried to picture him in one of the fight scenes and I ended up laughing instead. I think what I find most difficult is the Jack Reacher is described as being 225-250pounds and 6ft5. Also he is constantly being described as a Big man and well Tom Cruise is not! So I think I will be sticking to the books. I also like JA Kerley and I've just bought his latest book. I like his characters, I even like Jeremy and I'm not sure if I'm meant to or what it says about me. I have still to try Harlan Coben, but he gets some good reviews so I think its time to try. I like Micheal Connelly but I find some books better than others, I like the Harry Bosch books and the Mickey Haller ones. I'm currently reading The Poet but finding it hard to get into so I'm persevering in the hope it gets better

Edited by Kirsty_S

Wow Kirsty some good authors being mentioned there, I also like Jack Reacher Books, and I enjoy Harlan Coben, I have read The Poet, it was a slow start, but turned out to be a good read. Sounds like ur after my own heart :giggle2:

I have a funny story about the Jack Reacher books, I'm not sure what it says about me or the author. I bought my boyfriend a copy of Bad Luck and Trouble because he is getting into the books himself. I picked up the book after he had read it and about a chapter in I was having feelings of de ja vu. I carried on reading, and the whole plot just seemed so familiar, I even commented to my boyfriend that I felt that it all hinged around this one character and he laughed because I was right. I carried on reading, still with the sense of De ja vu, convinced I had read it. I finished it, still with the sense of "I've read this but I can't remember it". I believe it was published in 2007, which means I bought it while living with my mum, so I'm convinced when I get my books back from the attic, I will have a copy of this book. Thing is, I know every other Jack Reacher book I have read, but I have forgotten this one, now if it was One Shot, which I didn't think much of I would understand, but Bad Luck and Trouble was really good :/

I have high hopes for The Poet, I had the same reaction to The Narrows (I didn't realise it was the sequel until after), I found it a slow start but it got better. And I can't believe I forgot to mention James Patterson. I love the Women's Murder Club series, I think I perfer them to the Alex Cross series, but they are gripping and fast paced, even if you can sometimes see whats coming next. And also John Connolly's Charlie Parker books, I really like the supernatural twists to the books. And I will stop now.

Edited by Kirsty_S