Baldacci, Child & Coben; Any thoughts?

Mac

Hi guys.

These three authors I find consistently gripping and enjoyable to read. I mix them up with what some may call more 'worthy' books. For example, I've just finished Simple Genius by Baldacci and am just picking up Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (I know Chrysalis_stage will appreciate this).

I found Simple Genius to be as expected. Fast paced with short chapters leaving you wanting more, reasonable character development (the two protagonists have featured in two other novels) and some slightly more weighty passages that surprised me.

What do you folks think of these chaps? Another couple of belting crime authors I really like are Michael Marshall and Jack Kerley.

Do pass comment. Thanks.:friends0:

and am just picking up Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (I know Chrysalis_stage will appreciate this).

:hug: Aw, I do as I'm sure Gyre does too, she loves him too! Although I haven't read it myself yet. my mums landlord said he enjoyed it alot, I need money then i'll try it.....me jealous now!:friends0:

I haven't tried any of the other authors you mentioned. Have any recommendations to start off with?

:D Aw, I do as I'm sure Gyre does too, she loves him too! Although I haven't read it myself yet. my mums landlord said he enjoyed it alot, I need money then i'll try it.....me jealous now!:friends0:

I haven't tried any of the other authors you mentioned. Have any recommendations to start off with?

Yes yes yes! Harlan Coben is brilliant in every way! You have to read Deal Breaker by him. I get sooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited when a new one of his comes out.

Also, Lee Child's Killing Floor. Excellent also. I get ridiculously excited when he has a new one out. A word of advice, though, that I could have used and got on the case a damn sight quicker. Don't read the blurb, because it'll put you off like it did me. Just get 'em, open 'em and read 'em. I quite simply defy anyone not to love these books.

Cheers mate! :hug:

I get ridiculously excited when he has a new one out.

He he! ME TOO!!!

A word of advice, though, that I could have used and got on the case a damn sight quicker. Don't read the blurb, because it'll put you off like it did me. Just get 'em, open 'em and read 'em. I quite simply defy anyone not to love these books. :friends0:

I have yet to read one of his that I didn't absolutely love! & Reacher, now that is a MAN!

Haven't readany of the other 2 you mentioned, though.

Hello! my first time on here but wanted to say I LOVE Lee Child! :friends0: 'Killing Floor' and 'Persuader' are my favourites so far. Reacher is amazing! When will there be a film?!

There is talk of these books being made into a film, but the casting of Jack Reacher is proving to be very difficult. One element of this is that there are hundreds of thousands of men and women alike who love this guy and have a very specific idea about what he's like. How would you decide who to cast? Any ideas? The blurb on the back says; "Men want to be him. Women want to be with him." This is, at first reading, extraordinarily cheesy with extra cheese on top - it put me off reading these books for a few years! - but once you read them, it turns out to be so true! I might start a little thread here...hang on...:hug:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also a fan of Lee Child although I think I started reading them backwards!

Someone had left 'The Enemy' behind when I was on holiday so I read it on the plane home just for something to keep me occupied... and was really surprised by how good it was and that I'd never heard of him!

I've since read most of his books now (obviously starting with the prequel!) and find them all really good reads. I think 'The Visitor' is the one that I remember most as it had a really good twist at the end that I did not see coming at all!

:roll:

The blurb on the back says; "Men want to be him. Women want to be with him." This is, at first reading, extraordinarily cheesy with extra cheese on top - it put me off reading these books for a few years! - but once you read them, it turns out to be so true! I might start a little thread here...hang on...:)

Oh god yeah - the blurb on the back is utter cheese on toast...

Hi guys.

These three authors I find consistently gripping and enjoyable to read. I mix them up with what some may call more 'worthy' books. For example, I've just finished Simple Genius by Baldacci and am just picking up Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (I know Chrysalis_stage will appreciate this).

I found Simple Genius to be as expected. Fast paced with short chapters leaving you wanting more, reasonable character development (the two protagonists have featured in two other novels) and some slightly more weighty passages that surprised me.

What do you folks think of these chaps? Another couple of belting crime authors I really like are Michael Marshall and Jack Kerley.

Do pass comment. Thanks.:)

One of David Baldacci'S most enjoyable books is "Wish You Well", however, it is not like most of his action packed writings. This book will make you laugh, make you cry, make you sad, make you happy, in other words will take you through the whole gamut of emotions. poppy also read the book and enjoyed it. maureen has promised to read it. :D

I've only read Harlan Coben out of those three, but if you like those guys, I bet you'd like another series I've started by Barry Eisler. The first one is Rain Fall. It follows an assassin named John Rain. I've only read the first one, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I've read Deal Breaker & loved it! I must get around to reading the rest of the Myron Bolitar series, as well as his stand alone novels. I've yet to read any D. Baldacci or L.Child, although L.Child is on my 'to try & to buy' list.

I've read Hundredth Man by J. Kerly many moons ago, but I've yet to read any additional books of his.

Severed by Simon Kernick, thrusts you straight into the action but it did feel it was quite predictable, so I will have to try out a few of his other books to make my mind up.

The Vanished Man - Jeffery Deaver, a fab read. I ended up finishing it in a couple of days & I really didn't want to put it down.

It begins at a prestigious music school in New York City. A killer flees the scene of a homicide and locks himself in a classroom. Within minutes, the police have him surrounded. When a scream rings out, followed by a gunshot, they break down the door. The room is empty.

Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are brought in to help with the high-profile investigation. For the ambitious Sachs, solving the case could earn her a promotion. For the quadriplegic Rhyme, it means relying on his prot

I'm the same, Zumii. My house is full of different genres and authors. It's a good thing for the soul, a bad thing for the bank balance. It's like an illness! :smile2:

• 1 month later...

I've only read Coben out of those and to be honest only a couple of his but I loved them. He had me from the first few pages and I definately want to get his back catalogue.

I have a Lee Child book but as yet haven't got round to reading it, I will do one of these days though. I've seen some of Baldacci's books about and been tempted by a few but in the end went with others.

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently started reading this type of books following some egging from Maureen :D

I've only read Coben of the three, recently finished Just One Look, which I must say I found slightly too brutal at times, tho I loved the plot. I also have Deal Breaker from him, and after reading some of the comments on this post, I might just read it a bit sooner than I was planning!

Edited by shirleyz

• 5 months later...

I've recently read my first Lee Child novel Killing Floor and I thought it was fantastic. I reviewed it here and I have to say I thought it was wonderful; brilliantly written characters and a plot that had me turning the pages until the very end. I'm intending to read more of the Jack Reacher novels by the end of this year, probably very soon, as I enjoyed them very much. As for the other authors, crime isn't really my forte so I can't say I've ever managed to read any of theirs. Perhaps a couple of names to note for the future though.

Edited by Ben