Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

Dollhouse is great, it's about people who have been 'wiped' so they're blank, they have no personality or knowledge of anything, and then the Dollhouse company implant a personality/persona into them, and they completely believe that's who they are, and they have to do whatever they've been paid to do, like sometimes it's romantic engagements, or sometimes it's to step into a dangerous situation etc. It's pretty good, they're 7 episodes into it in America, so not sure when it'll air, if at all, in the UK.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lexie, I will look out for it! :friends0:

Dollhouse has been getting very poor reviews on both sides of the pond, as far as I can make out.

It's a shame but reviews are nothing these days imo, I like to make up my own opinion but its just annoying when shows you love aren't loved my the masses. Shows such as firefly and moonlight I both adored but they both got cancelled :hug:

It's a shame but reviews are nothing these days imo, I like to make up my own opinion but its just annoying when shows you love aren't loved my the masses.

I generally don't pay much attention to reviews, but in this case lexie is the first person I've heard say they like it! I'll make up my own mind, but I'm not overly optomistic.

What science fiction do I like?

Well, anything I've seen by the mighty Joss Whedon: Buffy, Angel, Firefly (though I suppose technically Buffy and Angel aren't sci-fi). After having just finished watching all 7 series of Buffy, I've now decided it's my favourite TV programme ever. Joss's writing is just so excellent, he can make a humorous remark so profound. And his multi-layered characters are excellent; they evolve and are never simply good or evil. Also, he wrote so well about so many different themes: duty, identity, redemption, sexuality... The list is long, but you never felt like you were being preached to due to the excellent writing from the whole team (not just Joss). Brilliant stuff.

I actually saw Serenity first, then bought the Firefly boxset (which was kind of the wrong way round), but I really loved the show and was so sad it was cancelled.

I have watched all the Stargate that has been on terrestrial TV (C4) but you know what C4 are like so I'm sure there's loads I've missed. I really like Stargate but don't even know which series I've seen!

I also quite liked the one series of Atlantis they showed, but not as much as Stargate and they haven't shown any more of it (prats).

I enjoyed Roswell until BBC2 stopped showing it. :friends0: I also like Kyle XY on the same channel, but they were extremely annoying because they showed about half of the first series then took it off air for about 10 months. They've now started to repeat the first series again, so hopefully I will get around to seeing the new episodes soon.

I heard great things about the Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, so bought series 1 on DVD, largely due to liking Summer Glau in Firefly. I find this show very hit and miss - the first series was very boring at first but then picked up and got good towards the end. I'm now watching series 2 on Virgin 1, and am frankly struggling to stay interested. I watch in case it's good, but I'm usually bored. I think the main problem is that I don't like Lena Headey's performance as Sarah.

Dark Angel was excellent! Another one cancelled before its time. :hug:

I also really liked The 4400, which was kind of Heroes before they thought of Heroes. And yes, I like Heroes too!

Anyone remember Sapphire and Steel? Very spooky in its time!

I also loved American Gothic, The Prisoner and Alias (they very probably shouldn't be included here, but I had to mention them).

I've never been a Star Trek fan, and haven't seen any of the different series.

Edited by Mia
Rogue apostrophe...

Mia, you mentioned Alias, I wonder if you've seen La femme Nikita? I think these shows have been compared to each other many many times. I never liked Alias (not a fan of Jennifer Gardner) but I was a big fan of Nikita!

I don't do sci-fi but one series that sprang to mind is Eureka which I enjoyed. Some of the enjoyment was due to seeing

whether sheriff Carter and Allison Blake would hit it off :friends0:

Hi Mia. I totally agree with you about the wondrous Joss Whedon. I think he's a genius. I haven't yet seen Firefly but really loved Serenity. I have my brother to thank for the Buffy/Angel stuff, as he sent me the complete collections a while ago on DVD, God bless his cotton socks.

Mia, you mentioned Alias, I wonder if you've seen La femme Nikita? I think these shows have been compared to each other many many times. I never liked Alias (not a fan of Jennifer Gardner) but I was a big fan of Nikita!

Ooh yes, I forgot Nikita! I loved this programme. I remember when it started on Channel Five, and we couldn't get reception, so I tried to watch the first episode through a snowstorm of interference. We later got C5, so that was much better! :friends0: I really want the DVD boxsets, but they only seem to be on Region 1. :hug:

Joss Whedon is a genius!

Hi Mia. I totally agree with you about the wondrous Joss Whedon. I think he's a genius. I haven't yet seen Firefly but really loved Serenity. I have my brother to thank for the Buffy/Angel stuff, as he sent me the complete collections a while ago on DVD, God bless his cotton socks.

Go buy Firefly! There is depth, subtlety, humour and development all wrapped up in it. Just buy the series.

You can see when you watch the series that it had some VERY interesting places to go. There are undertones, repeated imagery/logos, suggestions of directions - the whole shebang!

Now go on - buy the series - very cheap on Amazon, you'll be glad. All will be shiny!

I mean it! Go on now! :friends0:

Go buy Firefly! There is depth, subtlety, humour and development all wrapped up in it. Just buy the series.

You can see when you watch the series that it had some VERY interesting places to go. There are undertones, repeated imagery/logos, suggestions of directions - the whole shebang!

Now go on - buy the series - very cheap on Amazon, you'll be glad. All will be shiny!

I mean it! Go on now! :D

:friends0::D

You have no excuse not too, its under a tenner on Amazon and free postage! :) Sooo worth it!

I got my copy free though because I had originally ordered one for my brothers xmas present but it got lost in the post and they sent me a replacement straight away. About a month later the original copy came through the post and I kept hush hush and now have my own copy. :hug:

The original Star Trek series is still my favorite, I liked TNG, but to my mind, they never jelled like TOS...the friendship between "the three", Kirk, Spock and McCoy was the cement that held the show together for me.

They made many deep comments of the issues of the day. The episode that Frank Gorshin played one of two survivors of a planet that fought it out on the Enterprise. They hated each other because, while each side of their faces were black and white, they were the opposite sides...it showed beyond a shadow of a doubt the rank stupidity of racial hatred. The first inter-racial television kiss was depicted on Star Trek, between Uhura and Kirk.

It was the first television show to portray women in command positions, making command decisions. Roddenberry was a genius.

Roddenberry was amazing.

I was 10 when they sent his ashes into space, and although I knew nothing about the man at the time, I specificly sat down and watched it on the news, and now that I've read about and appreciate the man greatly I'm really glad I did. I later read a book about him, Tuesdays With Morrie-style by a woman called Yvonne Fern. If you haven't read it, go read it - it's even better than Morrie.

There is no denying that in Star Trek Roddenberry helped to create a unique vision of the future, but at the same time I wouldn't call the man a genius. He had a good idea and was in the right place, with the right people around him, at the right time, to make the most of it, but his subsequent projects almost all ended in failure and his personal life was anything but perfect.

I do believe that Trek owes a huge amount to him, but at the same time he wasn't the only one involved in creating the positive vision of the future the show is renown for - a lot of the shows iconic stories were penned by some of the best science fiction writers of the day - and his desire for absolute control over the franchise often created problems in his later years (he was removed from control of the film franchise after problems during the production of Star Trek: The Motion Picture and he also lost control of The Next Generation after the shows first series because of problems behind the cameras).

I'm sorry, but I've been watching - and subsequently reading and writing - about Star Trek for the best part of thirty years and there is a kind of cult status that has built up around Roddenberry's memory that I feel is only partially justified.

The truth is he wasn't always a pleasant person; he was a womaniser who often bullied people and took credit for others work.

Past the first half of the first series of the original Star Trek, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and the first series of The Next Generation his input into the day-to-day running of Trek was quite often limited.

Also, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise - well over half of the Star Trek stories that exist - were made after he died.

He may have been the originator of the series concept, but he was only one of many that shaped Star Trek as a series, and I personally feel that others such as Gene L. Coon, D.C. Fontana, Harlen Ellison, David Gerrold and well known authors such as Therdore Sturgeon and Richard Matherson deserve as much credit as a combined group for Trek's legacy as he does in his own right.

Whilst living at home, my family watched all things Star Trek, Stargate and various other franchises to be found on Sky One or The Sci-Fi Channel and i never really got into any of them except Stargate (which i was in denial about for years baha).

I found O Neil a brilliant character and so witty and confident, Daniel Jackson was a good counter and always funny and intelligent, as was Carter (i think that was her name) they all had such a great character chemistry and the plots were always interesting. I hope to catch up with it sometime. The later series don't really appeal to me.

I forgot to mention Reaper! I really liked the humour and the relationships between the characters, and the guy who plays the Devil is brilliant. (I think my list is more what they call "genre", rather than strictly sci-fi.) :smile2:

Edited by Mia