Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

He makes no sense in real life? I must admit I don't know much about him.

I follow him on Twitter - the man is crazy :D

I like the sound of those games - especially the "Will Worf say anything this episode?" one, might have to give that a try!

Have just reserved Season 1 of TNG so I can start from the beginning again :D

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiner on Twitter.

ETA:

Have just reserved Season 1 of TNG so I can start from the beginning again :D

It's a hard slog to get through in one hit - I'd suggest pacing yourself.

The best game to play of the three is "How many people can you get in one shot?", seriously, in some episodes it gets as high as seven or eight people!

Edited by Raven

The best game to play of the three is "How many people can you get in one shot?", seriously, in some episodes it gets as high as seven or eight people!

We've done a Buffy version of this - worked a treat :D

Seven Of Nine was cool, she went from being the generic eye candy to being one of the most well developed characters in any of the series.

This is true, her role developed quite a lot throughout the show, she learned a lot and I think she taught us all alot too.

Plus mmmm silver spandex.

Seven Of Nine was cool, she went from being the generic eye candy to being one of the most well developed characters in any of the series.

She ended up for me being the kind of character that showed a mirror to percieved humanity in the same way that Data had in TNG.

I wish they hadn't put eye candy in Star Trek. Deanna Troy, most of the women in DS9, Seven, T'pal.

I know they did it to make the show more appealing or whatever, but really, anyone who watches it for that or sees it as a fundamental aspect is so completely missing the point of the entire show. That's what Baywatch was for. Well, maybe not in T'pal's case, Enterprise sucked monkeys. I think Deanna Troy was the one who annoyed me most, coz she could have been a good character but they ruined her. Least they covered her up in later seasons.

I hear you sister!

For me it was finding the characters interesting because of who they were, not their looks. The tight 'n' shiny 'n' short thing just distracted from the aspects that dealt with equality, the pursuit of knowledge etc etc.

Exactly. And what you said about Seven mirroring Data (same with The Doctor), that is why Data is my favourite character. I love the exploration of life, humanity, emotions, friendships and so on that he explores, and how he questions them in ways that are so simple we'd never think to do it ourselves, because we spend too much time taking it all for granted.

I'm doing a paintshop painting of him now, the scene in Generations where he's reunited with Spot and he cries. Think I'm gonna call it 'Ode To Data' and include the 'Ode To Spot' poem under it :D

That sounds brilliant! I love that moment when they are reunited. :D

I completely forgot about the doctor, but of course he fits that same exploration of humanity that Spock starts in the original series, and then Data and Seven in TNG and Voyager. Who fits this role in DS9 though? I suppose Odo is probably the one, as he is so very different from the other Space Station residents.

I am quite new to Star Trek. I was dragged by my boyfriend to the movie that came out earlier this year and I really didn't expect much at all. However, I found the film really REALLY good and went back to see it another three times :lol:

My boyfriend was over the moon about this and got all of the Star Trek Voyager episodes and watched them over a course of a few months one after the other. I was really asd when it ended :irked:

We are now making our way through DS9 :D

But Voyager is rubbish!

Over-use of techno-babble; lack of continuity between episodes; very little use of supporting cast (and even some regular cast members!); no clear direction for the show; destroying the Borg; no idea how to write for Janeway; a really lame ending; etc etc etc.

Deep Space Nine is waaaaaay better . . .

(And for all you Seven lovers out there, Kes was a far more interesting as a character, we just got lumbered with Seven because the Borg were infinitely preferable to the Kazon and Jeri Ryan's chest was bigger!).

Voyager was pretty bad. I watch it coz at least it's more enjoyable than many other shows by virtue of being Star Trek (and I like Janeway and Chakotay) but it really wasn't very good. Paris could have been a great character, but they just sorta stuck him in the corner and didn't do anything with him.

I just watched ST: Nemesis for the first time since I saw it in cinemas when I was 14. Pretty God-awful movie, but worth watching if you're as big a fan of Data as I am, to see

how his story ends. I cried for about 45 mins :D I actually kinda wish I hadn't re-watched it. I get upset just thinking about the fact that he's destroyed. :irked:

The only reason I ever watch Nemesis is for Data - I seem to have the magical ability of being able to

block out what happens to Data and still wind up crying

which is ridiculous :D

Oh god, you should have seen me Fi. Every time he came on screen I started crying! And then that exchange betwee him and Picard where he says that

no matter whether B4 or Shinzon have their respective relations genes or memories or identites, there is something fundamental to himself and Picard which irrevocably seperates them from Shinzon and B4 - that the latter do not try to become more than what they are. And I know in the end we see B4 singing and that signifies the integration of Data's memories and programming into B4 so he may potentially grow also, but I do take what Data said there to mean that though B4 may continue the growth of his kind, he will never BECOME what Data was. I felt that anyway, despite what several people I know think, and I actually got the exact reason straight from Data's mouth in The Measure Of A Man (where Data is going to be disassembled for study and reproduction) -

"MADDOX: Your memories and knowledge will remain intact.

DATA: Reduced to mere sterile facts of the events. The substance,the flavor of the moment could be lost. While I believe that you can download the information contained in the positronic brain, I do not think you have acquired the expertise necessary to preserve the heart of those experiences. There is an ineffable quality to memory that I do not believe can survive the shutdown of my core."

But Voyager is rubbish!

Over-use of techno-babble; lack of continuity between episodes; very little use of supporting cast (and even some regular cast members!); no clear direction for the show; destroying the Borg; no idea how to write for Janeway; a really lame ending; etc etc etc.

Deep Space Nine is waaaaaay better . . .

(And for all you Seven lovers out there, Kes was a far more interesting as a character, we just got lumbered with Seven because the Borg were infinitely preferable to the Kazon and Jeri Ryan's chest was bigger!).

hehehe I loved it but then I am a complete Star Trek newbie :D

I really liked Seven but I agree - her chest probably saved that show :irked:

I don't think Nemesis fully deserves the bad press it often gets.

The story is basically sound, and there is a lot to commend it, it just falls down in a few areas and is flawed by being a story general viewers just don't care about. The main problem is the direction is pretty woeful, and was the cause of a lot of on-set friction that didn't help the filming (I think it would have been a better film all round if Jonathan Frakes had directed it).

It's certainly a better film than both Insurrection and Generations, anyway.

I love Generations. It'll always be my favourite.

I don't think Nemesis is AS bad as people say, but yeah it's dodgy and I agree it would have been much better had Frakes directed it.

Edited by Nollaig

Nollaig, would I be crazy to say that I thought I was the only one who loved Data? I've never met anyone else who loved Data. As for Nemisis - haven't seen it precisely because of what happens to Data!