Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh yes, I forgot Nikita! I loved this programme. I remember when it started on Channel Five, and we couldn't get reception, so I tried to watch the first episode through a snowstorm of interference. We later got C5, so that was much better! :smile2: I really want the DVD boxsets, but they only seem to be on Region 1. :motz:

Joss Whedon is a genius!

Nikita was amazing! I've been wanting to see the show again ever since it stopped airing but I never managed to find the DVD boxes in Finland and I was really unsure of ordering them online since I didn't have a DVD player until recently and I didn't know if the American DVD's would play on my parent's or BF's DVD player or the computer. Now,

there are places in the internet where one is able to download the series but as we all know it's not very legal and if someone asks I didn't suggest this to you :)

I was always so engrossed in Nikita, she was so beautiful and fit and cool and strong and independent yet nice and caring and all good things! When I was in my teens I so wanted to be her :irked: And Michael was quite dreamy...

I also have to add Millennium! Although I haven't seen it in ages so I'm not absolutely sure if there was anything supernatural about it. When other kids watched The X-Files, I watched Millennium with Lance Henriksen. Oh boy.

Almost forgot: I rediscovered (one of) my teen favorite series Now and Again. It's about this middleaged man who is accidentally killed but who's mind wakes up in a fit body of a handsome guy in his twenties. It's a highly classified government experiment that introduces a brain to a multiskilled body, thus creating a superman like person to handle secret and dangerous government tasks. This person is not allowed to make any contact to his previous family or life (he had a wife and a daughter). Of course he tries to, in secret. Which leads to many curious and hilarious scened. Starring the young and handsome Eric Close, the ever so talented Margaret Colin, Heather Matarazzo and Dennis Haysbert (the previous president from 24).

Edited by frankie

Thanks for the suggestion re Nikita, Frankie! Unfortunately, my PC is so old it's steam-powered, so could never cope with that anyway. :irked: Maybe I'll just have to buy a multi-region DVD player!

Almost forgot: I rediscovered (one of) my teen favorite series Now and Again. It's about this middleaged man who is accidentally killed but who's mind wakes up in a fit body of a handsome guy in his twenties.

This is ringing vague bells... I think I watched at least some of this, but I can't remember anything about it! Didn't it get cancelled after one series? (As is usually the case... :smile2: )

Thanks for the suggestion re Nikita, Frankie! Unfortunately, my PC is so old it's steam-powered, so could never cope with that anyway. :D Maybe I'll just have to buy a multi-region DVD player!

This is ringing vague bells... I think I watched at least some of this, but I can't remember anything about it! Didn't it get cancelled after one series? (As is usually the case... :welcomebcf: )

Multi-region DVD player would definitely come in handy with not just Nikita but other DVD boxes not available in your region. May I be bold enough to say that if your PC is so old that it's not able to perform some of the "modern" functions and might soon be looking for a retirement plan itself in the near future, you might want to start considering getting a new one. I'm not saying one should always buy better&newer at every available opportunity, I'm just saying that old PC's might stop functioning at some point :/

Getting back to topic: Now and Again did get cancelled, there's only one season which I found very unfair and sad in my teens (and now as well)! It was such a brilliant show. It was very clever how the new Michael found a way to get acquainted with his family without letting them on, and ended up having a better father-daughter relationship with his daughter as the new Michael.

All NEW Red Dwarf is on tonight (good friday- 10th april) on DAVE channel at 9pm

Its in parts and part one is on tonight, not sure when the other parts are on yet....

I watched that last night. I loved it just because it was great to see them all back together again. Red Dwarf is my favourite Sci-fi show. I also love Doctor Who and Torchwood. :irked:

I watched that last night. I loved it just because it was great to see them all back together again. Red Dwarf is my favourite Sci-fi show. I also love Doctor Who and Torchwood. :lol:

My brother pointed out that Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who and I became so childishly, ridiculously excited I should have been Sectioned. It was almost as bad as when it turned out that Derek Jacobi was The Master, and then regenerated into John Simm! My God, I needed resuscitating after that episode! :lol:

• 2 months later...

Surely you can be both...? The remastered Star Wars trilogy introduced me to the joys of the silver screen when I was likkle, but I also grew up with Star Trek: Next Generation - if asked to choose between them, I couldn't.

Surely you can be both...? The remastered Star Wars trilogy introduced me to the joys of the silver screen when I was likkle, but I also grew up with Star Trek: Next Generation - if asked to choose between them, I couldn't.

I do like star wars. But i could definatley choose which one i think is best. I think the reason my fav is Star trek, is because i like to get very involved in a story, and ST has it's own time line, science, etc. For example, in Star Wars the aliens are a different bunch almost everytime you see them, and you never really get to know the culture or general feel of the race. It's more about 'the force' (which i do love though.). But with ST you have a full explanation and involvement with the species. It's because i'm obsessive, i know. Anyone would think i know them all personally! ;):006:

Not me, I can't stand Star Trek. I could never get into it but then Sci Fi is not really my thing which is why I suppose I prefer the Star Wars films. As Jewell said you get an insight not a deep understanding also I don't have a scientific type brain - Star Wars is perfect for me because it's more a fairy story set in space - so has that element of Grimms Fairy Tales about it.

Star Trek bored me to tears.

This is going to get me into huge trouble, but:

To me, Star Wars is like Star Trek for the intellectually challenged ;)

In more detail, what I ACTUALLY mean by that is not: stupid people watch Star Wars. What I mean is Star Wars is about the pretty pictures, big explosions, and drama. Star Trek is about philosophy, morality, and a vision of the future. I grew up with both, but never liked Star Wars, because it lacked the intelligence (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!) which I always felt Star Trek had. Star Wars is entertainment. Star Trek is a thought.

Of course, this is purely an opinion thing.

I personally feel that, something that comes out with an episode like The Measure Of A Man, which essentially holds a trial about the line between artifical intelligence and consciousness - and at what point a thinking thing, be it programmed to think or otherwise - becomes a person, with rights and individuality, is slightly more thought provoking than - *heavy breathing* "I am your father" etc.

Now, I KNOW I'm sweeping over Star Wars with that one clich

To me, Star Wars is like Star Trek for the intellectually challenged ;)

This made me laugh my socks off! Love it

Star Wars is entertainment. Star Trek is a thought.

I really like the way you put this. I think it's a really good description.

It's great we have such a wonderfull and colourful world with so many other fantastical and magical worlds inside it.

Yeah like I say, I'm not getting at Star Wars, or fans of Star Wars - how could I when I love action movies and drama as much as the next girl (albeit, not in space). And I do love some of those action scenes in the newer Star Treks. (Although, do NOT get me started on the excuse for a new Star Trek movie. Just don't. Great movie - NOT Star Trek.

But I do think Star Trek is more intelligent.

If Star Trek and Star Wars were two guys, Wars would be a handsome, strapping jock-ish fella, popular with the ladies and the guy boys wanted to hang out with. Trek would be the quiet staight-A's nerd in the corner, reading some philosopher and not trying to be 'cool'.