Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

I couldn't find a thread about this, but I've noticed people mentioning Star Trek and Stargate, so I thought I'd start a thread so that all ye nerds can come forth and reveal yourselves! :blush:

I love Star Trek,my favourite is probably The Next Generation, although I have a soft spot for Voyager too. Hate Enterprise though.

Stargate SG-1 is epic - I adore it. Well, up until Jack O Neil left, anyway.

I'm not as keen on Atlantis, but I'll admit that I love Rodney.

Also, while I'm focusing this primarily on series, talk about related movies is encouraged. Regarding Star Trek and Stargate, I loved Star Trek: Generations and Stargate: Continuum.

Other shows I don't watch but people may want to comment on include Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Sanctuary etc.

Discuss! :D

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wooo yay good idea! :D

I should be working on my diss but I'll quickly mention ones I like::blush:

Star Trek - the next generation & Star Trek - deep space nine

I've watched all episodes of Stargate atlantis, need to go back and watch stargate sg1 I haven't seen. (looking forward to the film)

There is a new stargate series starting in october of scifi channel called stargate universe which will apparently not have offworld activity, so probably more like star trek.

I love firefly too (and serenity), travesty it stopped, we will never know what shepherd really was....I'm watching terminator the sarah connor chronicles atm because summer glau was so good in firefly and attracted me to it.

Loved farscape when it was on telly, only recently re-watching so I can see all the episodes I didn't see, wish I had enough money to buy them on dvd.

Never interested in Battlestar Galactica tbh, blonde robotty woman put me off haha.

Would rowswell be classed as scifi? I think so, I just wanted to say I was addicted as a teenager and was obsessed with max, yum(Jason Behr)

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I used to love watching the old Star Trek series w/William Shatner and the gang. Have any of you seen that documentary movie 'Trekkies?'

Otherwise on the Sci-Fi channel here in the states I love watching Ghost Hunters and old Twilight Zone.

I didn't need to reserve a post, oh well!

Sarah: I never really got into Deep Space Nine, I'm not sure why. I love Garek, he's brilliant. So friendly, but always teasing Quark, and you always sorta suspect he MIGHT be up to something. I also love Julian Basheer. He was definately my favourite character in it, and I have to admit I think he's rather dishy :blush:

Also, Roswell can be sci-fi, I think it actually was, like 'teen sci-fi' or something. It was definately shown on the Sci-Fi channel. I loved Max and Liz. That final episode in Season....1? when Liz has to leave and goes running down the mountain, and the Dido soundtrack is playing, that still sets off the ole waterworks :D I did also love Michael and Maria, I always thought that was a really powerful and realistic relationship. Whereas Liz and Max were all idealistic and happy and so on, Michael and Maria for me really portrayed all the ups and downs of any relationship I've ever encountered (only with an extraterrestrial touch!)

Peacefield: Yeah, I've seen a bit of Trekkies. I have to admit though, I think dressing up (outside the bedroom, anyway :17:) is taking the obsession one step too far - what I've always loved about Star Trek is the philosophical and moral issues it addresses. One of the best episodes ever of The Next Generation was "The Measure Of A Man" where some crowd wanted Data decommissioned for study, and Picard took it to trial, and gave this big speech about what makes a man, be it a soul, consciousness, free will, etc. It's brilliant.

Edited by Nollaig

I was a happy emo that day lol. It's in a museum in Los Angeles, along with Picard's fishbowl (the one in his office), a borg, some uniforms, and some more consoles including a map of the ship. Saw Picard's flute in a different exhibition.

I'm such a nerd.

YAY SCI-FI!

I love Star Trek,my favourite is probably The Next Generation, although I have a soft spot for Voyager too.

Stargate SG-1 is epic - I adore it. Well, up until Jack O Neil left, anyway.

Other shows I don't watch but people may want to comment on include Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Sanctuary etc.

Sarah: I never really got into Deep Space Nine, I'm not sure why.

So you like your TV sci-fi to be bland and uninspired then?! :blush:

Where to begin . . .

I've been interested in sci-fi since my parents took the wide-eyed six-year-old me to see a film called Star Wars waaaaaaaaaay back in '77 - and it's been downhill since then really.

My favourite shows are Doctor Who and Star Trek (most flavours of, though I prefer Deep Space Nine, TNG and the original series to Voyager and Enterprise).

I used to write for various Star Trek RPGs in the early noughties, where I had a lot of fun subverting plots and going against type! Sadly they've pretty much folded now, though I am looking forward to the new film in May . . .

I also like Stargate SG-1, though I prefer Atlantis - or at least early Atlantis - because I prefer the cast in that.

I would have to say the stand-out series of the last few years have been Firefly, the new version of Galactica and Heroes.

I'll watch pretty much anything in the sci-fi genre though, I really liked Farscape when it was on, Buffy and Angel too (though I still need to watch the last two series of the Angel) and The X-Files.

Edited by Raven

Upon what do you base that?

TNG is great, and Stargate SG-1 is obviously great, without it you Atlantis-heads wouldn't ever have had Atlantis!

I hated the cast in Atlantis to be honest, so I couldn't get into it. But I watched about three seasons of SG-1 bit by bit randomly before I actually started properly watching it from the beginning (I have all SG-1 and Atlantis on DVD) so I already loved the characters.

Buffy and Angel were also awesome, I was only a young teen when they were new. Angel particularly, I loved the way it really grew up over the years.

X-Files was great too. That's another set I've been on, Mulder's office :D

Also used to love Quantum Leap, and The Outer Limits.

Where to begin . . .

I've been interested in sci-fi since my parents took the wide-eyed six-year-old me to see a film called Star Wars waaaaaaaaaay back in '77 - and it's been downhill since then really.

My favourite shows are Doctor Who and Star Trek (most flavours of, though I prefer Deep Space Nine, TNG and the original series to Voyager and Enterprise).

I used to write for various Star Trek RPGs in the early noughties, where I had a lot of fun subverting plots and going against type! Sadly they've pretty much folded now, though I am looking forward to the new film in May . . .

I also like Stargate SG-1, though I prefer Atlantis - or at least early Atlantis - because I prefer the cast in that.

I would have to say the stand-out series of the last few years have been Firefly, the new version of Galactica and Heroes.

I'll watch pretty much anything in the sci-fi genre though, I really liked Farscape when it was on, Buffy and Angel too (though I still need to watch the last two series of the Angel) and The X-Files.

Ooo I rememeber watching X Files as a kid, I loved them, but haven't watched them in so long though.

I prefer the cast of Atlantis too, love it when Rodney calls Teyla and Ronan, Xena and Conan lol

My brother is addicted to Heroes and speaks to me about it but I have yet to love it, I've seen a few episodes and been engrossed at the time but not felt the urge to watch them like other programmes.

Really enjoying Terminator: sarah connor chronicles atm, anyone else got an opinion on it? I didn't even realise it was a series, I saw it advertised ages ago but thought it to be a film.

TNG is great, and Stargate SG-1 is obviously great, without it you Atlantis-heads wouldn't ever have had Atlantis!

I hated the cast in Atlantis to be honest, so I couldn't get into it. But I watched about three seasons of SG-1 bit by bit randomly before I actually started properly watching it from the beginning (I have all SG-1 and Atlantis on DVD) so I already loved the characters.

Also used to love Quantum Leap, and The Outer Limits.

Oh yeah Quantum leap, twas one of my fave programmes as a kid. :blush:

Wish I had the dvds, and I agree, just because we like Atlantis doesn't mean we think SG1 isn't great in it's own right. I actually haven't watched all SG1. I was just attracted to the wraiths and the characters such as Teyla more so.

I've seen the Sarah Connor Chronicles advertised, but I'm not a Terminator fan, so I didn't bother with it to be honest.

See this is the thing about SG-1. It's a development thing. It's not about immediately apparent awesomeness, or lots of pop culture funnies. You really see the characters grow and develop like in all long series, and it's great. A lot of the greatness is in being emotionally attached to the characters when you see certain events.

Screw this, talk about sci-fi movies too. Anybody like The Matrix? :blush:

Upon what do you base that?

Well, as you asked!

They are both [TNG and SG-1] good shows, but they are both very "safe" TV.

I've recently re-watched TNG on DVD and although it has some very good episodes, it has dated horribly - worse than the original series in some respects - and the overwhelming feeling I have looking back at it now, despite some very, very good stories, is that it is just too bland - they are all just far too nice!

And Stargate, in either flavour, has never been anything more than switch-off and watch TV. Don

Really enjoying Terminator: sarah connor chronicles atm, anyone else got an opinion on it? I didn't even realise it was a series, I saw it advertised ages ago but thought it to be a film.

I've only seen the first few episodes of the first series, but I would like to see more. What I have seen was good, although I don't think it had really got into its stride when I last saw it.

Buffy demands more from a viewer than TNG? I've never heard that from anyone lol.

It's true that a lot of Buffy is superficial candy-floss, but Joss Whedon is a very clever chap.

The episode I would say that stands head and shoulders above a lot of Star Trek - and is still one of the most painful pieces of television I have ever watched - was the one where Buffy finds her mother dead on the sofa. There's nothing supernatural, no vampires or ghosts, she dies of heart failure (if I remember correctly) and it's an utterly heartbreaking piece of drama.

Good though it is, Trek has never really captured that kind of emotional intensity.

I love Sci-Fi tv :friends0: Firefly/Serenity, Dark Angel, Roswell, Buffy/Angel, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Supernatural/Charmed if they count, Joss Whedon's new one Dollhouse is very good too, though not really sci-fi I don't think.

Never heard of dollhouse tbh shall have to see what its about, and never got into supernatural although one episode I saw was brilliantly scary.