Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they kinda went from bad to good and back to bad again with the female outfits over the course of TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. I think Geri Ryan commented on it herself, if I recall correctly.

Just rewatched The Measure of a Man.

"A single Data is a curiosity, a wonder even, but thousands of Datas - isn't that becoming a race? And won't we be judged by how we treat that race? Now tell me what is he? Is he (a machine?) He's met two of your three criteria for sentience (intelligence and self-awareness), what if he meets the third, consciousness, in even the smallest degree, what is he then? I don't know. Do you? Well that's the question you have to answer. Your honour, the courtroom is a crucible, in it we burn away irrelevancies until we are left with a pure product, the truth, for all time. Sooner or later, this man, or others like him, will succeed in replicating Commander Data - the decision you reach here today will determine how we will regard this 'creation' of our 'genius'. It will reveal the kind of a people we are, what he is destined to be - it will reach far beyond this courtroom and this, one android. It could significantly redefine the boundaries of personal liberty and freedom; expanding them for some, savagely curtailing them for others. Are you prepared to condemn him and all who come after him to servitude and slavery? Your honour Starfleet was founded to seek out new life - well there is sits. Waiting."

Just. Man. I love this show.

The one big plus that next Generation had was Patrick Stewart - he's a marvellous actor. I've seen him on stage a couple of times too. When I think of the strongest episodes of ST TNG - like The Measure of a Man, The Inner Light, Chain of Command - he's immense. Seeing him in Chain of Command just sent chills down my spine.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As I read Phillip K. Dick's book, I can't help but notice some images here resemble parts of its story that weren't in the first movie.

Perhaps they're basing Gosling's character on the book's protagonist, as well as using some book elements in  the worldbuilding, even if the plot seems wholly different.

Edited by woolf woolf

5 hours ago, Madeleine said:

yes I just saw that about Timeless, yay.  I notice that Sleepy Hollow's been cancelled as well, although I wasn't surprised.

It's a pity that Sleepy Hollow went downhill. :(

Re. Timeless , I don't think I've ever seen a show get resurrected so quickly. :D