Khaled Hosseini: The Kite Runner

Guest Anonymous

I am reading the Kite Runner at the moment, and it is by far the best book that I have read in ages - since I was a teenager in fact, and I am 43 this year!

It is one of those books that has so many layers - at times political, at times deeply touching, and also very much a tale about retribution and the law of cause and effect.

It has had me very close to tears also at several points - the rape scene, the stoning scene, when Baba dies and he realises that he has been lied to all his life. I also like the fact that there are no graphic sex scenes - what happens is not described in too much detail, so it becomes much more powerful and absorbing.

It is one of those books though that one can get so completely absorbed in that I forget to go back to work when I read it during my lunch break! It is almost as if reading it, I am not a bystander but actually there.

I can't wait to see the film!

I saw the film yesterday and it is exactly as you have described the book. I was very moved and at times horrified. The child actors are superb and very natural. All the other actors, whom I presume from their names are either Afghans or Pakistani, played their parts very convincingly too. Nothing was overdone, mostly understated and some things left to your imagination, nothing graphic. I hope it receives loads of awards. I must read the book now

I saw the film yesterday and it is exactly as you have described the book. I was very moved and at times horrified. The child actors are superb and very natural. All the other actors, whom I presume from their names are either Afghans or Pakistani, played their parts very convincingly too. Nothing was overdone, mostly understated and some things left to your imagination, nothing graphic. I hope it receives loads of awards. I must read the book now

I thought the film was good also and I enjoyed being able to see the kite flying.

It has had me very close to tears also at several points - the rape scene, the stoning scene, when Baba dies and he realises that he has been lied to all his life. I also like the fact that there are no graphic sex scenes - what happens is not described in too much detail, so it becomes much more powerful and absorbing.

Ooh too much information for those of us with it on Mt TBR!!

Have just finished The Kite Runner. I have to say that I throughly enjoyed it. It is not the type of book that I would ordinarily choose for myself, I only read it at my sister's insistence at how much I would enjoy it. She was right, I just couldn't put it down and have been reading it at every opportunity.

I would like to watch the film version now to see how it compares.

Does anybody know when it is due out on DVD?

Have just finished The Kite Runner. I have to say that I throughly enjoyed it. It is not the type of book that I would ordinarily choose for myself, I only read it at my sister's insistence at how much I would enjoy it. She was right, I just couldn't put it down and have been reading it at every opportunity.

I would like to watch the film version now to see how it compares.

Does anybody know when it is due out on DVD?

Will you give Thousand Splendid a shot too? I know many people who enjoyed it, perhaps more than the Kite Runner.

Will you give Thousand Splendid a shot too? I know many people who enjoyed it, perhaps more than the Kite Runner.

Yes I am planning to read it at some point, I will probably wait until it comes out in standard paperback size then buy it.

I have heard alot of good things about his second book, it is definatley on my 'to be read in the future' list! :readingtwo:

• 11 months later...
I'm the other way round - I've read the book, but not yet seen the film.

I'm the same as Kell.. read the book, but haven't seen the film.

Would love to hear from someone that's done both, to see how the film stood up to the book.

Loved the book.. such a great story, and a bit of an emotional one. It's one of those books that stays with you for a while after you've turned all the pages.

His next book "A Thousand Splendid Suns," was even better to me.

I'd definitely recommend a read of both, to most people. :lol:

I enjoyed the book.

I recall we had borrowed the film to watch at home but I was called in to work and had to leave part way through.

I remember quite vividly the 'domestic' we had when I discovered my dear other half had returned it before I had chance to watch the rest.

I will be tuning in to see if it is worth me seeking it out again.

• 4 years later...

I have written this same question as a topic, but then the admin has sent me this page.

I have just finished The Kite Runner. I think it has different

layers and themes that can be discussed. I want to know your opinions on

some questions that I wonder. What motivates Amir exactly? Do you think

love or obligation motivates him? Second question is that do you think

that the book suggests if our country is under threat, we have an

obligation to stay and help effect change or we have an obligation to

yourself and your family’s safety.

• 4 months later...

I have written this same question as a topic, but then the admin has sent me this page.

I have just finished The Kite Runner. I think it has different

layers and themes that can be discussed. I want to know your opinions on

some questions that I wonder. What motivates Amir exactly? Do you think

love or obligation motivates him? Second question is that do you think

that the book suggests if our country is under threat, we have an

obligation to stay and help effect change or we have an obligation to

yourself and your family’s safety.

Hey, good questions. Regarding your first question, do you mean what motivates Amir to come back or to take Sohrab away (or both)?

I think more than anything it's guilt that leads to Amir's actions. I believe that time when he set Hassan up with the watch was still in Amir's mind, and he cannot let go of that. So I do think more than anything else it's obligation that brings him back - he wants to set things right.

As for your second question, I think it's up to the individual person, but ultimately most people would choose their family.

I think conscription is an awful thing and no one should be forced into such a horrific act. However, I do think there are people out there who would be willing to stay and fight. There are some patriotic people out there, and some incredibly courageous human beings who believe they can, and should make a difference no matter how small.

But again, I don't think everyone is like that. I know I would choose my family, but maybe that has to do with my age as well? I wonder if you're more likely to stay and fight for your country if you're older, or not a parent? I guess it depends how much your family relies on you, and how much faith you have in your own abilities to stay and revolt. Then again, people can show some surprising acts of bravery when the circumstances call for it - perhaps it's not that easy to predict.

Edited by Angury

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...