Khaled Hosseini: The Kite Runner

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975. I remember the precise moment, crouching behind a crumbling mud wall, peeking into the alley near the frozen creek. That was a long time ago, but it

Guest Anonymous

It's about two hundred and fifty pages so, if an average reader, you should get through it in a couple of sessions. You may like it, of course, it's just that I found it dry and believe its success is more down to a sense that America wants to know more about the places it's destroying. At least it appears to be marketed that way.

It's about two hundred and fifty pages so, if an average reader, you should get through it in a couple of sessions.

I'm not sure I agree with this - for people with busy lives / jobs / families a book can take many sessions to be read! :D

Guest Anonymous
I'm not sure I agree with this - for people with busy lives / jobs / families a book can take many sessions to be read! :D

I have a busy life and a job too. 8-)

Well I get about 20 mins in the car waiting for my daughter, 10 mins in the bath, then 10-20 before sleep (depending on how tired I am), and so it takes me more than 2 sessions to finish a book. :D

I'm the same, Michelle. It'll probably take me a couple of weeks to get through. I'm always amazed at people who read a book in a day.

I absolutely loved this book. I loved the fact that the first part of it was so matter-of-fact, I think it would have felt far too contrived had there been any attempt to make it more emotional.

I thought the attempts by Amir's father to live an afghani life in America were heartbreaking, and that the book truly showed a personal view of the atrocities which have taken place. I have watched the news, I know some of the statistics, but to see it from such a personal viewpoint - it took my breath away.

I can see your point about coincidences - some of them were very hard to swallow. Even taking that into account, this is still my favourite book so far this year.

• 4 months later...

The Kite Runner

Author: Khaled Hosseini

ISBN # 1594480001

Publisher: Riverhead Books

First Published: 2003

371 pages

Rating: 9/10

(Olympic Challenge

I loved this book. It's my favourite read so far this year. We discussed it in my real-life bookworms group last month, and it sparked the most discussion so far.

I'd also urge anyone to pick it up. I was a bit worried about the Afgan setting, but I needn't have worried at all - it's very clear.

I think I gave it 9½ out of 10, but on balance, I think it's definitely a 10 for me!

• 4 months later...

The Kite Runner was such a touching book. I cried on several occasions. I couldn't believe the degree of humn hatred and destruction glorified by religious beliefs and of course, power. A sad but powerful book which will change many readers mind on Afghans and their struggle to revive their land as independant and humane.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I perked up at this review since I just read an approving/moderate review of the new movie. This was very well-written! Thank you for the recommendation, Kell. My reading scope is so small, and only within contemporary and classic American, and classic British literature. I was thinking my first foreign book would be Don Quixote, but this one sounds very sweeping, emotionally speaking!

• 3 weeks later...
The Kite Runner was such a touching book. I cried on several occasions. I couldn't believe the degree of humn hatred and destruction glorified by religious beliefs and of course, power. A sad but powerful book which will change many readers mind on Afghans and their struggle to revive their land as independant and humane.

Couldn't agree more...I cried too. Hope they don't spoil it with the movie version.

• 2 weeks later...

This has to be one of my favourite books ever. When I read his favourite books it wasn't a great surprise to see Steinbeck and Shelley amongst them.

I must be the only person in the world not to agree that his follow up is better. It's a great story but I cared more about Hassan and Amir in The Kite Runner At times I felt it was almost as if I was being told what to think rather than persuaded. I probably haven't explained that very well but maybe someone else could.

• 3 weeks later...

Well said! :)

I absolutely loved this book, after feeling like I had lost my reading mojo this has given it a new lease of life!

I keep thinking about the characters and I am sure I will for a long time to come.

If its in your Mount TBR ~ lift it to the top :D

I am about half way through The Kite Runner and have to say I am really enjoying it. It is not the type of book I would usually choose for myself but my sister gave me her copy and I am very pleased she did.

I find myself thinking about Amir and Hassan at random points during the day - I think that is the effect a really good book has on me, that I just can't stop thinking about it :D

but I cared more about Hassan and Amir in The Kite Runner At times I felt it was almost as if I was being told what to think

I think friendship is so precious and that comes across in the book and that's why the events that follow are so shocking and upsetting.