Waiting by Ha Jin

Chimera

Ok so I'll try to get back in the flow of this discussion... :friends0:

I'm not sure I agree with you two on the likeable/ unlikeable characters. I dont have a problem with Manna at all as she doesn't seem to be imposing anything... Yes she's 'bold' and pushes Lin forward but like you said she's just fallen in love. And she's in a very difficult position as well... It's Lin I find more difficult to connect to. I understand him and I sympathise with the position he's in, but he just seems so undecisive and so disconnected from the impact of his decisions on others around him! He admits to it himself: at one point he says he had never realised Shuyu had feelings of her own... and at another that he only ever considered his relationship with Manna from his point of view, not hers. Maybe it will change later on but at the moment I really feel for both women and wish he'd make a decision one way or another.

But then, maybe that's the way he's been brought up and Manna brings about a more feeling side of him... I mean the way he speaks about Shuyu at times really makes her seem like a utility he's needed at one point and can let go once she's served her use. I cant remember the exact words but at some point he says that things have changed and divorcing her would be easier because his parents have died so she's 'only taking care of their baby now'... I know he never married her out of love but you could expect him to have a little more empathy or at least gratitude.

But I definitely agree on your point about the lack of feelings in their world. And like I said I think maybe to start with Lin is very much a product of that world but his relationship with Manna makes him open up more.

What I find very strange is the dualcy in the way everyone deals with their relationship: an 'official' relationship is unimaginable and there are strict boundaries which they cant overstep but at the same time everyone knows that they are in all ways except 'abnormal' a couple... And they dont do anything to prevent it, or show real signs of disaproving. They even treat Manna as if she were Lin's concubine... In fact it goes back to the lack of feelings: there is no feeling or real moral idea behind the issue. It's all about respecting the rules, keeping up a flimsy front with them... So long as they dont break a rule in the book they'll be fine. But the day they are seen together one inch outside the fence they'll be ruined.

Did that rant make sense? *laughs*

I finished it. It's brilliant. It had an even better ending than everything I came up with together.

I have to admit, I never really did warm to any of the characters, but I HATE one of them, and could relate to the sentiments in the last few pages.

Brilliant book.

• 2 weeks later...
As I said in another thread I'm only half way through... But I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate one of the characters soon. He hasn't done anything, much, yet but I I dont think that will last long... Wonder if the same as you ;)

Which character? Out of interest (I can't remember most of the names, a description might be better!)

What happened here???

Did you finish it?? What did you think??

*cracks up* I know I've been slow on this one but...

I finished it friday. Unfortunately my internet connection was down during 4 days so I haven't been able to report yet ;) I need food right now, but I'll be back later to report for duty *laughs*

Which character? Out of interest (I can't remember most of the names, a description might be better!)

The sneaky, cowardly, conniving b******. Does that help? And no, my opinion didn't change. :)

I didn't end up hating any characters, but my loyalties certainly changed. I'm struggling to write a review of this book, I'm not sure I can do it justice.

Yeah, that might prove tricky.

So... Waiting. I did finish it. And I was surprised by the ending. I'm not sure about perfect though.

It just seems so anticlimatic, you know? And it certainly didn't make me like Lin any better. But it is the most realistic possible ending. I mean, it is what makes that book so powerful, isn't it? Showing things in such a simple, matter of fact, realistic, non sugar coated way? Up till the end there is no artificial attempt to make us like any of the characters, or the story. Just a window into how 'feelings' might develop in a world so sterilised of emotions as the one Lin and Mana lived in.

So, maybe it IS the perfect ending after all, as in the only possible one.

Hopefully I'll make more sense by the time I try to review it.