Paulo Coelho: The Alchemist

Guest Anonymous

I might check this out, add it to my already massive TBR pile, whether i'll ever get on to it... who knows? :lol:

I bought this today on ebay :17:

And... another?? ;)

Maybe that kind of dedication deserves some kind of prize. Like.. a trophy! Or or... a book.. no wait... :lol: Forget i said anything!

ooh I was wanting to read this and probably will still although, I'm all about the describing words to be honest. It helps me to use my imagination better if I can feel and understand things through the words.

But I definitely think it's one of those 'books to read before you die' types if you know what I mean lol

• 1 month later...
I'm thinking of introducing this novel next year as a reader to my 15/16 year old students. I haven't read it yet. Any ideas whether it would go down well?

I read it freshman year for my English class. I really enjoyed it. I can't remember why my teacher had us read it, though :irked:

• 2 months later...

Normally I wouldn't think that a book about a sheperd could be interesting for me, but after hearing so much about it I had to see for myself what the fuss is about. I started reading this yesterday and now I've reached part two of the book.

I actually like the story so far. It's simple prose, but there is more meaning to everything. It's not as amazing I had expected, judging from certain reviews, but also not as terrible as I had expected, judging from other reviews. :blush: It's allright. So far anyway. Still have to read the rest of the book.

• 9 months later...

It's a book that some people will love, and others will hate.

So true.And it's actually true for Coelho's work in general.

I'm one of those who love the book,and it's for most of the reasons the author of the thread/review stated as negative.

I love the simplicity of it,I don't think the more complicated the message is,the better - on the contrary (in this case). In my opinion,Coelho left out all the unnecessary details (yes,I'm not saying description is bad or unnecessary,nor are details such as names,age etc,I mean,were it not important,what the hell would Proust do :smile2:) - unnecessary for him to get the message out.Also,for some strange reason,I enjoyed not knowing what year it was set in,it seemed to make the point timeless.

Like most of his books,it was very picturesque to me.I could picture everything,and it was vivid enough.

Yes the characters too are very,umm,how shall I put it,very 1D instead of 3D lol,simple if anything,but once again,I didn't mind.

All of the things I've mentioned are things I would probably appreciate in other writers books (details,deep and complex characters etc),but in PC's case,I enjoy the opposite.

The alchemist has all the characteristics of a typical PC novel (all the above^^ plus some more),but what I'd also like to point out - it's also one of his earliest works.So,he got even better with time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Though I haven't read The Alchemist yet, I have read Brida:), one of his later books.

Like Brida has mentioned he writes in a deliberately simplified style. I found it engaging, and conveyed his points well.

From the various comments alreay made, he is an author you like or hate; I like his work.

• 2 months later...
He really does belong in Pseuds Corner, doesn't he? I'm surprised he's writing books and not greetings cards.

That's exactly what I thought when I read that book, which had been advised to me as, quote, "that guy is really a guide for me". :D

I really had the feeling I was diving into a pot of honey as goodness and so-called wisdom were being lavished upon me. It was too much, too overwhelming, like a creamy sugary cake impossible to digest in the end.

Those moralistic guides tend to bore me to death with the universality of their thought, envelopped and wrapped and packaged into religious flavors.

It was a short book but a real drag to read till the end. :D

• 1 month later...

He really does belong in Pseuds Corner, doesn't he? I'm surprised he's writing books and not greetings cards.

Just finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It wasn't what I expected at all. Good book, but it wasn't much to it. Anyone could have wrote about a boy's adventure that lacked a whole lotta detail, and thrown some positive "keep your head up and go for you dream" messages in the middle of it.

I really had the feeling I was diving into a pot of honey as goodness and so-called wisdom were being lavished upon me. It was too much, too overwhelming, like a creamy sugary cake impossible to digest in the end.

Those moralistic guides tend to bore me to death with the universality of their thought, envelopped and wrapped and packaged into religious flavors.

It was a short book but a real drag to read till the end. :D

I hope Brida won't hate me for this, but I just finished this book, and I agree with everything said in these posts.

While some of the sentiments in the book were beautiful, too much of it was wishful thinking. Reality is just not that simple, unfortunately.

I wish it were.

I hope Brida won't hate me for this, but I just finished this book, and I agree with everything said in these posts.

While some of the sentiments in the book were beautiful, too much of it was wishful thinking. Reality is just not that simple, unfortunately.

I wish it were.

Aww Pixie, of course I won't hate you :empathy: We can't all agree on everything :)

I can understand people getting that impression of Paulo's books, because he tends to write in such a ''preaching'' way, sort of. Some people like it, and some don't. You are one of the latter, whereas I am one of those who love his positive thinking, how ever idealistic it may be.

I am glad you didn't find it to be utter cr*p, and found something about it you did like :D

Aww Pixie, of course I won't hate you :empathy: We can't all agree on everything :)

I can understand people getting that impression of Paulo's books, because he tends to write in such a ''preaching'' way, sort of. Some people like it, and some don't. You are one of the latter, whereas I am one of those who love his positive thinking, how ever idealistic it may be.

I am glad you didn't find it to be utter cr*p, and found something about it you did like :D

I am glad you enjoyed it, Brida and also glad you are not offended by my post. :friends3:

I generally don't tell other people not to read a book simply because I didn't like it. I can see why some people would love The Alchemist. It just wasn't for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I read this book in my teens, and remember enjoying it a lot! I think I focused on the positive thinking throughout and perhaps gave less weigthing to other aspects like the religious messages, which did not affect me much at the time. I agree with the few comments above stating that this book remains a book to be read.

• 6 months later...