Paulo Coelho: The Alchemist

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho, is billed as a modern classic, yet I find it difficult to discern why. It has the feel of a fable; from a time as hazy as the desert in which it is set, and carries the lessons on life one would expect from such a parable. The feelings of distant memory that it creates, however, fashion a gap between the book and the reader.

It begins with Santiago, a shepherd boy, who gives up his customs to follow a dream he has, a vision of treasure found at the Egyptian pyramids. Along the way he meets a king, a crystal merchant, an Englishman, and an alchemist; all of whom, with their passing involvement, provide him with a piece of the spiritual jigsaw that is his life. Finally, when he arrives at the Egyptian pyramids, he learns a lesson in life that brings him happiness.

The novel is short, and, while it gets its message across, a number of other things suffer. The characterisation is lean; everyone is faceless, ageless, and speaks with the same voice, a voice of implied wisdom. Most characters are also nameless; even Santiago, the protagonist, is simply referred to as

Guest jake

I have to totally disagree with your review of this book. I have yet to speak to anyone that hasn't enjoyed it. You seemed to have missed the point - it is a simple fable, written in simple prose, that's the way it was intended. Not all of his books are written the same way.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Guest Anonymous
I have to totally disagree with your review of this book. I have yet to speak to anyone that hasn't enjoyed it. You seemed to have missed the point - it is a simple fable, written in simple prose, that's the way it was intended. Not all of his books are written the same way.

Disagree all you want; I'm happy with my opinion. I've met loads that share similar thoughts on the book. I've not missed any point, and I know it's a simple fable (perhaps too damn simple) but it lacks any depth as to make it anything more than a generic fable that can be dressed up and applied to any of the many cultures and belief systems from which its components were plucked.

Edited by Anonymous

Guest jake

Disagree all you want; I'm happy with my opinion. I've met loads that share similar thoughts on the book. I've not missed any point, and I know it's a simple fable (perhaps too damn simple) but it lacks any depth as to make it anything more than a generic fable that can be dressed up and applied to any of the many cultures and belief systems from which its components were plucked.

I'm glad you have stated that it is your opinion. Everyone has different tastes and I would never dream of shoving my opinion down someone's throat. Unfortunately that is the way your review of this book came across by stating "I hope you discover this review before the novel." .

I too am very happy with my opinion, but I'd much rather people read the book (any book) rather than turn something down because of someone else's opinion.

Edited by Michelle

• 1 year later...

I never saw this thread before, and I wish I had read it before I read the book! I have to agree with everything the original poster said.

It's a book that some people will love, and others will hate.

I loved some aspects of it, but found other areas a bit of a drag. It's beautifully written and carefully crafted - vey fairytale-ish in some places (actually, in most places). It's certainly an easy read and can be either taken as a very light, frivolous read, or as something deeper depending on the mood of the reader.

When I first read this book, a few years ago, I was in a pretty bad place in my life, so I found a lot of meaning in the story. The second time I read it, I enjoyed it more for the fairy tale qualities it had. I'll probably read it again, but it will never have the same meaning for me that it had the first time. This is definitely one of those books that you either love or hate.

Just a thought that came to me from what Echo posted. Could it be that the very simplicity, the bareness of the story the original poster complained about (lack of adjectives, no real feeling of being in the story) makes the story possible to be felt in such a different ways.

Another book that I've had this same reaction, that seems to ive something different to everyone and everytime you read it, was Le Petit Prince. And that too is very simple, very minimalistic story.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sedgewick
Here are some Paulo Coelho quotes so others can judge for themselves!

He really does belong in Pseuds Corner, doesn't he? I'm surprised he's writing books and not greetings cards.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I loved this book, for some reason it just was mind blowing to read, i enjoyed every page and every word, i need more books like it. I was wondering does anyone have any suggestion to what i might read similar in style, not necassarily same setting or idea but same feel.... if you dont get it i understand lol, but any suggestion would be really great.

-Logan

Have you read anything else by Coelho? BF has a thing for them, and hasn't come across one he didn't like yet. He was very impressed with The Pilgrimage in particular.

I have research a couple of his books, but i live in a small town in Ontario so my ability to actually get a hold of these books are limited. It still good to know that his other stuff are worth reading, now ill atleast make the effort to try and read them. Thanks a bunch

• 2 months later...

Just finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It wasn't what I expected at all. Good book, but it wasn't much to it. Anyone could have wrote about a boy's adventure that lacked a whole lotta detail, and thrown some positive "keep your head up and go for you dream" messages in the middle of it.

• 1 month later...

I read The Alchemist some time ago having picked it up on a last minute 'fast raid' before going on holiday.

I remember thinking, "How did I pick up a childrens book?"

The impression left was of a simple moral tale padded out in order to survive the rigors of being inside a lunchtime goal post. :roll:

Either that or I'm just too dense to appreciate the style and deeper meaning (easily possible). :lol:

From what I've heard, Alchemist is one of those books that either hit you hard or leave you completely cold.

I totally agree, I know many people who absolutely love the book -- then again it did nothing for me. Which isn't to say I do not like Coelho, on the contrary, I loved both Veronika Decides To Die and Eleven Minutes. But The Alchemist I just didn't manage to like. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I think it is one of the best literary work of English literature and everybody should read it it is not just a literature, but this book could be your guide, philosopher and friend, recently gifted it to my younger sister on her birthday, I think it was one of the best birthday gift that i have ever selected for her.

Regards,

sarah_9

Edited by Michelle
link removed

• 1 month later...