The Wonderful Demise of Benjamin Arnold Guppy by Gina Collia-Suzuki

Weave

Title of book: The Wonderful Demise of Benjamin Arnold Guppy

Name of author: Gina Collia-Suzuki

No of pages: 228 pages

ISBN-10: 0955979617

ISBN-13: 978-0955979613

Synopsis ~

Benjamin Arnold Guppy loved turnips. He loved eating them, but most of all he loved throwing them. He also loved money and pain...extorting a lot of the former and causing an equal amount of the latter. A foul, sour-faced old swindler with a penchant for clucking like a chicken and more than a passing interest in the local postman, he was determined to get his hands on his neighbours' money, regardless of the cost. As it turned out, the price was his life.

31zszU4KKqL_SS500_.jpg

I think at some point in our lives we have all experienced bad neighbours, whether they play their music too loud or just plain annoy you, they are always there.

With 'The Wonderful Demise of Benjamin Arnold Guppy', Gina Collia-Suzuki has created the most loathsome of characters I have ever had the pleasure to read, the formidable Mr and Mrs Guppy, who despite their age control a whole neighbourhood and daily harass their new neighbours, Roy and Alex Leah (Alex's is the narrator of the story), the reason for the harassment? Well Roy and Alex are just not Ben and Pat Guppy's, 'type of people'.

I really enjoyed 'The Wonderful Demise of Benjamin Arnold Guppy, 'Gina Collia-Suzuki description of them and their various antics to get rid of The Leahs were hysterically funny, I took pleasure when their antics went wrong because they were so horrible.

Gina Collia-Suzuki does an excellent job of highlighting how bad The Guppies are and also explores the feelings of the Leahs well, the long term effects of having such bad neighbours,I was amazed how the Leahs could just ignore the couple despite The Guppies endless attempts to extort money from them.

Pat and Ben Guppy are mean, they are cruel, they are neighbours from hell and Gina Collia-Suzuki has written them well and very realistically. I know at certain points in the story, I was appalled by their actions.

A wonderfully dark read, highly recommended. It will make you more aware of your neighbours.

Rating: 10/10

Oh, Gyre! I love the sound of this! I'm gonna look for it.

Hope you're well x ~Trish.

ps You might also enjoy "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz x

I am well, thank Trish :irked:

I added 'The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao' by Junot Diaz to my wishlist, it sounds great :)