Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult

lovelygirl18

Just let me know when you want to borroiw Humpbackwhale Lucy. I haven't read it yet either but has been lounging on my shelf for years...you know how it is!:lol:

Ooh, Lucy, when you do read it, let me know what you think? I started it but never finished it! I won't say why as I don't want to put any preconceptions into your head & equally don't want to influence whether you finish it or not! What I read I hated, suffice to say.

Also agree with what everyone has said about The Tenth Circle. Definately one of her worst books (if not the worst?), however I did manage to finish it - barely.

Ceinwenn:

I had the same problem with Humpback. Tried, but couldn't finish it. Didn't like what I read. It was, I think, one of Picoult's earlier books. She's one of those authors who's grown and matured as an author with each book, except (IMHO) when it comes to Tenth Circle. I didn't much care for 19 Minutes, either, but I've loved all her others with the exception of Humpback and the one about the Abnecki Native American tribe (can't remember the title).

Not all authors get better with each book. There are several whose first novels I've really enjoyed, but have been sorely disappointed in subsequent books.

Maggie

I liked Tenth Circle, it wasn't her best but I did enjoy it. I wasn't impressed with Second Glance (the one about the Native Americans) though or Mercy. I hop I will like Humpback but it wasn't in print for a while and has just been re-released which kinda suggests it wasn't popular first time

I just finished Handle With Care and am only sorry it's over. Despite earlier misgivings, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Jodi Picoult's ability to see both sides of an impossible situation continues to amaze and impress me. I remember thinking, after reading my first Picoult book, that she had to be a lawyer (she's not). Her grasp of legal issues is impressive, as is her research.

My only real complaint was the ending. Then again, I don't know how I'd have done it any differently. For authors, it's far easier to create problems for your characters to deal with than it is to solve those problems to the satisfaction of your reader, and the temptation to fall back on deus ex machina is always a factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this book - I couldn't put it down. Although I found it similar to My Sister's Keeper, it was different enough to keep my interest. After reading The Tenth Circle, I was kind of put off Picoult's writing as I thought that particular book was the weakest of hers I have read so far. This, however, was quite easy to get into and really got me thinking.

My only real complaint was the ending. Then again, I don't know how I'd have done it any differently. For authors, it's far easier to create problems for your characters to deal with than it is to solve those problems to the satisfaction of your reader, and the temptation to fall back on deus ex machina is always a factor.

I agree about the ending, I don't think there was enough information to satisfy me about the outcome

like how Piper felt and her reaction to Charlotte winning the case. Personally, I though that Piper should have won, I found Charlotte selfish (similarly to Sara in MSK). I really did expect her to drop the case eventually, especially as there was huge problems caused between the family because of the case.

I felt so sorry for Amelia, bless her. She was always second best to Willow and I felt that she was, in a way, being punished for her sister's illness.

Oh and what was the point of starting a law suit to get compensation then win it and not cash the check?? It was pointless to do so, what exactly was the point of all that effort when they just kept the check on the fridge after moaning about the costs. I was baffled.

I've been waiting for Waterstones to deliver my copy of this for over a week now and reading all your good reviews is making me impatient....:censored: (because it's not like I have 70 or so books in living room that need reading is it?)

Anyways, I read the synopsis and it immediatlely puts itself up there next to MSK for obvious plot reasons and I thought it was quite brave of Picoult. Many people have said MSK is her best book by far, so to write something similar means direct comparisons are always going to be made.

I can't wait to get my hands on this one though. Picoult always gets bumped to the top of my reading list :motz:

Hmm I'm tempted to buy this, but I sometimes don't like her books, are you enjoying it Lucy?

Yes I am, I don't think it's her best but certainly not her worst either, so far I would recommend it

I finished, this is what I posted on my thread.

oh my

I never expected it to end this way. I don't understand why. Why did Willow have to die, and in such a way? Was it so nobody really lost the court case? Seems extreme measures. I would like to think that at least it meant that Pippa and Charlotte, and Emma and Amelia became friends again.

For me I think this may be my new favourite Picoult book, not because it has the best plot, or is the most well written- both those are good but maybe not her best- but because it touched me personally. It didn't make me cry but it did bring me close a few times (and generally books don't even do that). Sometimes because of Willow herself, sometimes because I could see myself in her, and sometimes because it brought my own memories forward.

I adored Willow, she's so brave, and somewhat unfazed, she doesn't feel sorry for herself. Some of that people say I have but I don't know if I could if I was as bad as Willow is. I really liked Amelia too

in ways I felt more sorry for her than Willow because Willow's pain was mainly physical, Amelia's was psychological and in a way that is harder to get over

I liked how we always saw Willow through other people's eyes. Except for the one chapter where Willow spoke.

I liked how Willow didn't see the money as realy being hers so much as something that had brought her family back together. She didn't so much care about what the money gave to her as that it made her family happy. This part made me close to tears at first because everything that had happened it didn't really matter to Willow, she just wanted her family to be happy.

I also liked the recipes throughout the book, they made for something different.

Other people may not like this book as much, I am not sure, but I still think everyone will enjoy it.

5/5

it's good to see Jodi Picoult back on form

I agree. After Tenth Circle and 19 Minutes I wasn't eager to dive into Change of Heart, especially when I read the blurb about a man on death row for killing a child. In fact, it took me three tries to finally get into the book, and I'm so glad I did, because it turned out to be an excellent read. Not one of her best, but far better than the two that preceded it.

I almost gave up on Handle with Care as well, but again, I'm glad I didn't. What initially turned me off was each character talking to Willow, using the third-person construct that I found mildly condescending and rather awkward. But I kept going and in the end I barely noticed it at all.

It was a heart-wrenching story.