Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult

lovelygirl18

I just read Jodi Picoult's new book, "Handle With Care". This book is about Charlotte, who has two girls, Amelia and Willow. Amelia is from a previous marriage and then Charlotte marries Sean and they have Willow. Willow is born with osteogenious imperfecta, which is a brittle bone disease, and it is basically about Charlotte fighting for her daughter's well being when no one else seems to think it's right. I definitely recommend it! It was amazing, as are her other books I have read so far (My Sister's Keeper, The Pact: A True Love Story, The Tenth Circle, and Nineteen Minutes). She is amazing and has such a great way of writing that keeps you interested until the very last sentence :haha:

I have read almost all of Jodi Piccoult's books that have been released over here (Handle with care hasn't yet as far as I am aware) except for Songs of the Humpback Whale which is only avaliable in hardback. I'm looking forward to reading Handle with Care though, I have osteoporosis which is fairly similar to brittle bone disease so I'll be interested to see what Jodi Piccoult makes of it

• 1 month later...

I just started Picoult's latest, HANDLE WITH CARE, and even though I'm only 50 pages in, I know it's going to be a slog, which is disappointing, given how much I admire this author's work.

The situations are similar to those in MY SISTER'S KEEPER, and there are multiple voices telling the story, except they're telling it to Willow, the central character (who doesn't have a voice), and I find it's tripping me up. The POVs are first person, but frequently the narrator(s) will say something like, "And then I looked at you sitting on the couch next to your sister and ..." and it interrupts the flow.

Edited by Michelle
moved from another thread - Maggie's request

Oh yes...go Lucy. I met her when she was doing a book signing for Tenth Circle in Aberdeen. She is lovely and made time to speak to people. :)

Lucy I have a paperback copy of Humpbackwhale one if you ever wanted to borrow!

I found out the other week that Jodi Picoult is appearing in the library in town when this comes out over here, I think I want a ticket!

Oh, a definite must. She appeared in my area (I'm in Connecticut; she lives about 150 miles north of me in New Hampshire) but her event was sold out by the time I tried to sign up. I was seriously disappointed because I love her books ... except for this current one. It's just not sitting right with me, but I will finish it because I admire her tremendously and don't want to judge this book without having read all of it.

Have you visited her web site? In the photos, she looks very natural and approachable, and surrounded by kids and animals. She and my daughter graduated a year apart from Harvard's MEd (Masters in Education) program in the late 1980s. My daughter taught high school for 12 years, but I don't know if Jodi did any teaching. I thought, for sure, she was a lawyer when I first started reading her books. Her grasp of the law, the courtroom, and police procedure is amazing; turns out she's just an amazing researcher! I'm always impressed with the level of research she has to do for her books. She doesn't flinch from tackling tough subjects.

I really must give this girl a go, been meaning to for ages, and I am in possession of a most perfect hardback copy of Tenth Circle courtesy of the lovely Ceinwenn, so I have no reason not to!!

I hate to say this, but Tenth Circle isn't her best by a long shot. It's one of the few Picoult books I didn't like.

That said, I'm finally starting to really enjoy this one, Change of Heart, after being dubious for the first 50 or so pages. The story's getting to me, and I'm especially liking Marin, the attorney. Clearly, it'll be a wrenching ending because this is a lose-lose situation.

Although Jodi Picoult is not my cup of tea, she was on the Daily Mayo radio programme today on Five Live. They have put the interview into a podcast, which you can get here. The BBC tend to keep the podcasts available for one week after transmission, so you'll need to download it before Monday 4th May 2009 if you want to listen. It's just under 30 minutes long.

I hate to say this, but Tenth Circle isn't her best by a long shot. It's one of the few Picoult books I didn't like.

That said, I'm finally starting to really enjoy this one, Change of Heart, after being dubious for the first 50 or so pages. The story's getting to me, and I'm especially liking Marin, the attorney. Clearly, it'll be a wrenching ending because this is a lose-lose situation.

I agree,Tenth Circle wasn't one of my favourites. I read Change of Heart not too long ago and was as with most of her books really enjoyed it,hope you do too.

Lucy I have a paperback copy of Humpbackwhale one if you ever wanted to borrow!

:lol:

Just checked and Birmingham is already full :lol: I guess I should have gone for it when I first found out
Oh what a shame :lol:

I have just started Salem Falls today....hope it is good.:)

I totally agree Maggie. It was definately my least favourite of hers I've read so far. It took me ages to get into it and eventually finish it.

I looked to see if she was doing a signing in Manchester but it turns out she is, but in Stockport which is a bit of a way for me to travel :lol:. And we have a nice, snazzy new Waterstone's in Manchester town centre too...

:lol:

Oh what a shame :lol:

I have just started Salem Falls today....hope it is good.:)

Oh I missed that first time somehow...but read the first part! Yes I would love to borrow it :lol:

I liked Salem Falls, it's a bit odd but good