"Dylan Dog" makes it to England at last!

BookJumper

At last available in English as of April 1 2009, a peek into one of the best comic series of all time: "Dylan Dog" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dylan-Dog-Case-Files/dp/1595822062/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237808833&sr=8-1).

Created by an Italian but set in London, it's about a steretypical yet not quite ex-cop turned paranormal investigator with scores of identical black suits and red shirts, a drink problem and relationships that tend not to end very well. Enough to guarantee you that this is unlike anything you've ever read before, however, should be that, no real explanation given or needed, Dylan has Groucho Marx as his live-in assistant, in all his nonsensical glory.

I'd urge anyone who loves great horrific yet very human storytelling to catch this and, if they enjoy it, pester the publisher to issue the whole back catalogue. I volunteer for the task if they're short on translators.

I'm particularly glad to see in this collection my favourite "Dylan Dog" story ever, "Johnny Freak".

It is the heartbreaking tale of a healthy boy turned into a spares-bank. When Dylan finds him, he has no legs and is missing several internal organs, cut out of him with surgical precision. The boy can't talk but is a great, moving artist. The end of his story, though slightly expected, is so beautiful yet difficult to accept it makes me cry at every read.

Edited by BookJumper