Darling, Delectable, Delicious Dexter

The whole point of the storyline in books and tv series is that Harry has diverted a Psychopathic killer from killing innocent people, to killing criminals. As he works in forensics he can check into things a normal vigilante can't.

I'm aware of that, I referred to it in my comments. The point was that he doesn't kill for justice but to satisfy his urges. He is in no way morally superior to those he kills.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aware of that, I referred to it in my comments. The point was that he doesn't kill for justice but to satisfy his urges. He is in no way morally superior to those he kills.

Yeah you're right... but that is the point, he is an anti-hero. He knows he isn't normal and what he does isn't right, he just tries to make it slightly less worse.

It's funny because I didn't mention Morals or Justice.

If only my phone would stop switching to other sites.

Edited by dex

I can't comment on the books yet, and I'm not planning on reading them. But even accepting what you say, that he supposedly IS sure he gets the "right people", it's still just a means for him to satisfy his psychopathic inclination. It's not about justice, it's about indulging his pleasure in killing. (I may be mistaken, but killing for fun still counts as "wrong", yes?) The resulting "justice" is a by-product with him.

Just because it works out "right" in the end, he's not exactly the hero you'd admire for the strength to do whatever it takes. He just does what he likes; the way others spend their life playing video games.

Never mind, I take it this thread is for fans. I'm out. :smile:

Yes, he is of course satisfying his psychopathic inclination, and in that respect it's as wrong as the next person killing someone. But at least Dexter is killing people who are guilty of killing other people themselves. I'm not sure how I would think about someone doing this in real life, but Dexter is after all a work of fiction. And in my opinion, a delightful work of fiction.

We appreciate all comments, and I do get where you are coming from! :)

Started reading the 1st Dexter book last week. So I guess I have a lot to look forward to. I have not even seen one single episode of the tv-series yet! I am so behind. But that means, if I like it, I have all books and the tv-series to look forward to.

So far I like it. I like that Dexter seems to be a real psychopath, as he feels nothing at all. And yet, I am rooting for him. It's interesting. I often find myself liking villains who aren't THAT horrible, so I can peel off some layers and see the person under. Likeable villains are awesome. :)

Edited by emelee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed the 1st book but have been disappointed with all the subsequent ones.  Also couldn't get away with the tv series.  Watched the 1st one and thought the acting was that wooden that i left it after the 1st season. 

• 2 months later...

Really enjoyed the 1st book but have been disappointed with all the subsequent ones.  Also couldn't get away with the tv series.  Watched the 1st one and thought the acting was that wooden that i left it after the 1st season. 

Too bad you didn't enjoy the rest of the series, or the TV series. But to each their own :shrug: I personally think that the acting is superb in the TV series, the actor playing Dexter's sister especially is just amazing. But that's just my opinion :)

Bookwise, I like 1,2,4,5. For some reason I dislike 3 & 6.

I didn't enjoy the third novel, either. It was a bit out there. I haven't read the sixth book yet :o:blush: