Which books really scare you?

Michelle

• 1 month later...

I feel I'm missing something here. I don't think I remember ever being scared by something I read in a book. And here's me a big horror fan too. I get engaged in the plot & involved with the characters - i even worry about what's going to happen to them, but I've never been frightened.

Same with films.

There must be something wrong with me - I think it's down to watching Hammer Horror films at an early age & having it drummed into me that it's not real - it's only ketpchup, not blood - & I think I must have applied the same rationale to books. :D

• 1 month later...

The one book I read that scared the snot out of me was Stephen King's "Thinner". He wrote it under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman (I think that was the name.)

It creeped me out so bad that I've never picked up another of his books except his non-fiction "On Writing". Then I tried my hand at writing some not so warm and fuzzy stuff. He has an exercise in the back of the book where he sets up a premise and asks the reader to finish it.

I actually enjoyed letting my darker side out to play for a bit. :D

• 2 years later...

There have been two, that I can remember:

Monster by Jonathan Kellerman...scary and completely insane people.

Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist...that Shining Man scares the hell out of me, and I still read it every Halloween!

Guest fireball

Echo wrote:

Monster by Jonathan Kellerman...scary and completely insane people.
Good call there Echo.:)

Well in all honesty I HAVE to say that the book that sacred me shicensored.gif never mind witless, thoroughly, was of all people A Canadian.!

It was his FIRST published work and it was and STILL is.. A STONKER.!

and it's this...

:

http://www.specialx.net/gallery/album01

A thriller and and half, a grand piece of Canadian history thrown in for good measure, and rollicking damn brillo read...Then Michael Slade IS your man.

Someone is lobing the heads of people and sticking them on Canadian's icon, yes you guessed it...Totem Poles, for ALL to see, and doesn't look like stoping soon.

Can Robert DeClercq and his team stop this horror before it strikes again?.....YOU WONT BELIEVE THE ENDING, It REALLY W I L L SCARE YOU SHIcensored.gifless .

ps

Sorry the cover's not in great shape it's my own copy which I photo copied on my printer and put onto image shack. redface.gif

I don't really get scared, just involved and worried about the characters, but there are 2 (well, a book and a trilogy) that scared me.

My Swordhand Is Singing by Marcus Sedgwick is the first.

I was reading it in the bath and I literally could not put it down (that doesn't happen to me often!) and I was sat in the cold water til about 11 o'clock :) And then when I was getting out, I was actually sorta scared to open the door :lol:

The other is Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorson, the Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix, which I've read loads of times and still creeps me out. And it's weird; whenever I read it, if I go to sleep before I've finished it I see this dark shape looming over me when I close my eyes :s freepy. Then it goes away as soon as I've finished the book.

Laura, it's not scary in the traditional way, it's just rather creepy because it's realistic, and you feel it could happen to anyone. It seems to get to you without you realising.. until you go to turn out the light, or walk into the bathroom!

I like this thread, I'm adding to my wishlist! :)

Laura, it's not scary in the traditional way, it's just rather creepy

I agree Michelle - you're fine reading it but then remember things like

the man on all fours on the ceiling

and then you're spooked. Plus something fell on its own in my daughter's room while reading it and that spooked me a bit.

A few (well, very many, actually) years ago I read a few Dennis Wheatley books including 'The Devil Rides Out' and 'The Haunting of Toby Jugg' and I recall being too terrified to move from my chair!

I remember reading those. Very scary!

'The Shining' is another that scared me.:)