To rhyme or not to rhyme...?

That is the question. That is to say, do you prefer poetry to rhyme, or would you rather it didn't, or aren't you really that bothered either way?

Personally I much prefer poetry that is rhymed - I find that being subjected to formal constraints focuses the mind of the poet and brings forth better versification. There are of course exceptions; Walt Whitman's poetry doesn't rhyme yet I consider him a genius. Still, an exceptional genius: most unrhymed, unmetered poetry looks to me like chopped up prose.

Any thoughts?

Good question, Guilia. Hmmm...I like either one, although my favorite poems are all rhyming ones. When it comes to poems that don't rhyme, they have to be very well written and thought out. I think there's a bigger temptation for poets who don't rhyme to get carried away with the idea of "stream of conciousness" writing, which often turns affected in the hands of an untalented poet.

I'm un-decided. In a way I like poetry to rhyme, but I think it has its limitations, if that makes sense. I still think you can have a good poem, without the need for rhyme. Like I said.. I don't mind.

Well, my husband writes poetry and it rhymes....but it has an interesting meter..a twist...that I love love love.

But he's often...not understood. LOL. Poor guy.

I love John Donne and Maya Angelou so I'm not sure I can say I love one over another.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...