Oscar Wilde's Plays

I've only read one - A Woman of No Importance which I did for A Level a few years ago - we read it in parts and I thought it was fabulous! I was lucky in that a production came up at Salisbury whilst I was studying so I was able to go and see it - it was fantastic!

I've also seen The Importance of Being Earnest in Bath where the wonderful Penelope Keith played Lady Bracknell!

I've yet to try Lady Windermere's Fan or An Ideal Husband out of his other plays, but I'm hoping to perhaps see a film version of them - I find it quite hard to read plays on my own!

Which is your favourite play - and which others would you recommend?

Edited by Janet

"The Importance of Being Ernest" is one of my favourite plays, period; it's just so funny. If you haven't seen it, I heartily recommend the recent-ish film with Colin Firth and Rupert Everett as Jack and Algy, Reese Witherspoon as Cecily and the insurpassable Dame Judi Dench as Lady Bracknell (prepare to quiver in her presence as if you were nine again!!).

My other favourite Wilde play is the tragedy in one act "Salom

• 4 weeks later...

I love The Importance Of Being Earnest, which is why I'm so looking forward to winning my 1919 edition of it!!

My favourite work by him is actually his only novel though, The Picture Of Dorian Gray. I love most of what he wrote though, because he was a sarcastic genius, which I love.

• 3 months later...