What was the first fantasy/sci-fi or horror book that you read?

Kreader

Iorek Byrnison rules! :(

Totally! :o

I remember giving a little cheer every time he turned up. It was an internal cheer, of course, as I was most likely standing on a crowded tube train at the time :D

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sci Fi: a BORING book, like the most boring book ever written. I don't want to remember the title. I want to forget it for ever. :)

Fantasy: I don't know if I have ever read one. Maybe I did but I was when I was a child, I will buy a real fantasy book and it will be my first!

Horror: Hm... 1408 by Stephen King?

These are things that I have to read: Sci Fi, Horror and Fantasy, obviously I'm nothing more than a little little little amateur!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mcflash271

It was Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix. I just picked it up in 3rd grade and loved it. That's really what started my reading. The funny thing is, I hadn't even read any of the first 4, I just randomly picked this one up. How in god's name I managed to make any sense out of it is beyond me, but I loved it and have loved reading ever since :D.

Edited by BookJumper
Added capitals

The first sci-fi novel I remember reading and properly understanding and enjoying was the Tripod Trilogy by John Christopher. It was a a collection my dad had owned and encouraged me to read, he's a massive sci-fi fan and couldn't wait to pass on some of his favourites. I must have been about 11 or 12.

I've always been thinking that fantasy books were boring and naive. you know, princess and unicorns a few dragons and knights and finally some kind of a happy end.. i was laughing at friends who freaked out about The Lord of the Rings and this kind of things but..

About two years ago i found a book called Elantris written by unknown at that time author (Brandon Sanderson). I was convinced to read it by my friend, who knew that i'm not very willing about that kind of books, but when i started reading it I couldn't stop . First of all, it's written in interesting way - every chapter is about one of three characters. Well, if you want to know something more about the plot you can find more on google etc. I'm not too good storyteller :D

Unfortunately, it's quite hard to buy it in UK. However, not so long time ago a trilogy written by that author was published there - Mistborn. I read it just after Elantris and i really really enjoyed it. It has like 600pages per book but i read it in 3 days! now, I'm reading another book by Sanderson - Warbreaker. All of these novels are placed in fantastic world full of magic which in every single book is different. An action starts pretty soon, you are not bored even from the very first pages of book. Next thing is that even if you have some idea of what happens next, it goes differently and that makes you want read more and more..:lol: I don't know.. I've written too much and actually there is no much that might tempt you to read it but really, really I recommend these books ...for everyone, even if you're not into fantasy but I'm warning you, it's very absorbing :( thanks :D

I can't say for sure which sci-fi book was the first but I know the author was Andre Norton (who is of course really Mary Norton). I read one of her books from the library when I was 10 or 11 and it lit a fire, I read every single one of hers on the shelf and then every other sci-fi book there before moving onto the sci fi in the adult section.

At the time I didn't like fantasy, I can't remember reading any. I have never read LOTR .

First horror book was one of those Pan book of Horror stories that was going around school , I was probably 13 or 14 then.

Oh man, I'd forgotten all about The Time Traders! Is that the one you are talking about?

Only a few years ago I found out it was a series, I read the first one, I guess, when I was around 10 or 11. Good stuff.

Hi Pontalba, no I had not heard of that one. I think possibly my first was Plague Ship or Sargasso Of Space. Then Judgement On Janus and Victory On Janus.

First horror: Pet Sematary by Stephen King

First fantasy: The Hobbit by Tolkien

First sci-fi: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Yea! Pet Sematary here too! I had watched the movies and HATED THEM because I'm a big animal lover.. IDK what made me read the book. stupid me, freaked me right out... haven't read a horror book since.

( but i want to.. now)

First Fantasy was The Hobbit too! But does it count if my dad read it to me when I was little?

And does James & The Giant Peach count as sci-fi? I read that twice.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the first horror I read was Dracula at around ten years old when I found it wedged in the bookcase, I don't think I finished it as it was a little daunting and probably bored my impatient mind but I remember being intrigued by the darkness it leaked each time I returned :D

• 5 weeks later...

When I was in the sixth grade, the girl who sat behind me handed me Mists of Dawn by Chad Oliver. I think this was about the time one of our teachers read A Wrinkle in Time to us, and from that time on, I was hooked. This same girl became my best friend all through public school and was my maid of honor. It all started with one book...

Edited by abecedarian

• 1 month later...

I read Carrie when I was 8 :)

I've always been drawn to nasty and horrible stories, particularly anything involving zombies or aliens. Zombies because I'm just fascinated by these creatures that keep coming and coming and coming at you, no matter what you do (besides the inevitable shot to the head, but they never figure that out until later, lol). Aliens because they're so different and you never know what to expect.

Fantasy - Harry Potter at age 7. Stop halfway because I thought it was boring. 5 years later I had finished the whole series lol

Sci-Fi - Probably one of the Animorph series, if that even counts (not sure if it's fantasy or not :P)

Horror: House of Leaves, now. I haven't read too many so this is the first one I can remember, and I am no even sure if it counts as horror, but I've heard its scary.